WIP Asset-pipeline merged.

Maxwell Salzberg

Mar 28, 2012, 6:02:21 PM3/28/12
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com
All,

After much hemming and hawing, I decided to merge the WIP asset-pipeline branch (most leg work done by Stevenh512) into master.  As a result some small bugs might still be present, and a handful of cukes are now failing for various reasons.

This is something we have been wanting for a long time.  Since there was no questions IF it was going to get merged, and I was spending too much time trying to get very different code bases to stay up to date, we decided to just merge away.  Ultimately, it is going ruin less people's pull request and/or day, and save lots of people time in the long run.

I am pretty certain the merge did not lose anything, but it would be very helpful to me if you helped us out by trying it out.  Please excuse me if you do see something that might have went missing, it was not intentional

It is not recommended to deploy this to your production boxes right away.  It would be much appreciated if you could help test this branch on your local dev setup, or any staging environments you might have.  Please download the new code, and help us make all the tests pass.  I will send another email letting people know when we feel most everything sorted out.

I will give a bigger shout out to StevenH512 once we get this all sorted out, but his hard work can not be understated.

Thanks for understanding, and I look forward to your bugfixes!

- maxwell

Justin Thomas

Mar 28, 2012, 7:12:05 PM3/28/12
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com

Did jammit get removed? My deploy script calls that gem, but it is now generating an error that it is not included in the Gemfile.

I'm fine with that, incidentally. jammit has always been a pain to work around.

Daniel Grippi

Mar 28, 2012, 7:43:23 PM3/28/12
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com
Yep, we did remove Jammit.  You'll wanna call assets:precompile instead.

Again, you shouldn't deploy to any production box quite yet as we still have some bugs to work out.

Sent from my iPad

Justin Thomas

Mar 28, 2012, 8:08:57 PM3/28/12
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com

Just to my 'dev' pod. Thanks!

Steven Hancock

Mar 28, 2012, 10:36:02 PM3/28/12
to diaspora-dev
@maxwell
I thought we were going to wait a little while longer on this to try
to fix any remaining bugs and do a pull request when it's ready.. but
this works for me, if nothing else it will give us more feedback from
people running in production environments and make it easier to track
down the remaining bugs. :)

On Mar 28, 5:08 pm, Justin Thomas <jus...@justinthomas.name> wrote:
> Just to my 'dev' pod. Thanks!
> On Mar 28, 2012 4:43 PM, "Daniel Grippi" <dan...@joindiaspora.com> wrote:
>

> > Yep, we did remove Jammit.  You'll wanna call assets:precompile instead.
>
> > Again, you shouldn't deploy to any production box quite yet as we still
> > have some bugs to work out.
>
> > Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Mar 28, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Justin Thomas <jus...@justinthomas.name>
> > wrote:
>
> > Did jammit get removed? My deploy script calls that gem, but it is now
> > generating an error that it is not included in the Gemfile.
>
> > I'm fine with that, incidentally. jammit has always been a pain to work
> > around.
> > On Mar 28, 2012 3:03 PM, "Maxwell Salzberg" <maxw...@joindiaspora.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> All,
>
> >> After much hemming and hawing, I decided to merge the WIP asset-pipeline
> >> branch (most leg work done by Stevenh512) into master.  As a result some
> >> small bugs might still be present, and a handful of cukes are now failing
> >> for various reasons.
>
> >> This is something we have been wanting for a long time.  Since there was
> >> no questions IF it was going to get merged, and I was spending too much
> >> time trying to get very different code bases to stay up to date, we decided
> >> to just merge away.  Ultimately, it is going ruin less people's pull
> >> request and/or day, and save lots of people time in the long run.
>
> >> I am pretty certain the merge did not lose anything, but it would be very
> >> helpful to me if you helped us out by trying it out.  Please excuse me if
> >> you do see something that might have went missing, it was not intentional
>
> >> It is *not* recommended to deploy this to your production boxes right
> >> away.  It would be much appreciated if you could help test this branch on
> >> your local dev setup, or any staging environments you might have.  *Please
> >> download the new code, and help us make all the tests pass.*  I will

Steven Hancock

Mar 28, 2012, 10:38:51 PM3/28/12
to diaspora-dev
or even non-production environments.. lol.. more eyes on this will
definitely help work out the remining bugs. :)

Maxwell Salzberg

Mar 29, 2012, 1:37:03 AM3/29/12
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com
@steven

I felt guilty for peppering you with emails yesterday, and worrying
about keeping current work up to date with the branch was stressing me
out, so I just decided to go for it. Sorry for changing my mind so
quickly :p

- Maxwell

Steven Hancock

Mar 29, 2012, 9:32:50 AM3/29/12
to diaspora-dev
Not a problem.. like I said, more eyes on this will definitely help to
spot the remaining bugs. :)

I was able to fix the mobile UI bugs I was seeing on my Blackberry,
had to install the ModifyHeaders extension in Firefox and pretend to
be a mobile device so I could use Firebug to see what was going on. As
I said in a comment on my latest commit, I'll most likely be offline
all day or at least most of the day tomorrow (Friday). Visiting a
friend who I haven't seen in a while and taking a little break from
staring at a computer screen (I'll be playing guitar instead), but
I'll have access to an iPhone and an Android phone all day so I'll be
able to do more mobile testing while I'm there. :D

Anything important, your emails to my gmail address now go straight to
my phone. I won't have my SSH key for github but I'll have access to
my friend's MacBook if I really need to get online.. lol