PCB Etching

Graeme

Sep 26, 2012, 11:32:39 AM9/26/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
We're arranging a simple electronics build for Halloween of a 'scary' picture with flashing eyes ( prototype was on the table on Tuesday)

I've designed the circuit and will get some parts ordered (it will be another budget build) but thought this would be a good opportunity to take a group through the PCB etching process.
Probably better with a small group but happy to repeat in future weeks if there is a demand or if anyone wants to use the kit to etch their own boards.

I use UV sensitive Copper Clad board ( this is about £6.20 for a small sheet at Potts) and a UV light box plus Ferric Chloride as an enchant.

I'll bring it all along on 16th and will set it up if anyone want to try it out.

Graeme

David Fielding

Sep 29, 2012, 3:57:00 PM9/29/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graeme

I'd be interested in seeing how PCB etching works - or rather how to do it properly.  I've made a few guitar effects pedals and have experimented with chemical etching but generally just made a mess and etched all the copper off.

Do you draw by hand onto the copper board or can you transfer from print outs?  As I say I'd be interested to learn how it works.

(By the way - I'm the guy with the longish hair that came along for the first time in a while last Tuesday)

Cheers

Graeme

Sep 29, 2012, 8:17:54 PM9/29/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,
I've also made a few guitar effects using plans from the MadBeans site and a friend has replaced his whole pedalboard with them.

I design using PCBExpress ( unless doing guitar pedals which I download) because it's free and does what I need, then print onto acetate and transfer to UV sensitive copper clad board using a UV light box. Timings and dilutions are critical and I still mess up once in a while.

Happy to bring the light box along anytime anyone needs to use it.

FloatingWombat

Sep 30, 2012, 4:50:50 AM9/30/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've also got a UV box, so if Graeme's is not available, let me know. I have also built a small bubble-etching tank.

Wom

Spencer Owen

Sep 30, 2012, 7:52:26 AM9/30/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Whilst I haven't tried it myself, this method of using sign writes vinyl has been mentioned recently on Twitter
http://en.electroni-city.com/
Looks like a nice neat alternative to acetate and light box.

Spencer

Graeme

Sep 30, 2012, 11:33:22 AM9/30/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
This is the method I used to use. To be honest it was not as easy as the article may suggest and I tended to ruin many sheets by not ironing enough or ironing too much. In the end I bought the light box on eBay for about £50 and never looked back. The iron on method is great for 'one off'......'once in a while' etching but any more than that and you soon get frustrated....I did anyway.

You can buy the blue sheets specifically for the toner transfer method....but seem to remember that they are not cheap. Some people claim to have used photo paper but it never worked for me.

having said all that ...I do only have the UV light box because I found a cheap one.....not convinced I would have been allowed to spend over £100 for a new one!