Re: [derby-makers] visting 'derby makers' and assistance sourcing polyester resin

Amanda McLaren

Sep 24, 2012, 9:54:56 AM9/24/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robin

Yes please do come down and visit tomorrow, we're around 7pm - 9pm. You might want to bring some loose change for a cupper - tea or coffee (soft drinks also available) but no other fee/donation required. You may also be interested in visiting Nottingham Hackspace - their open evenings are on Wednesdays. If you come along tomorrow we can give you more info on this - or just visit their site http://nottinghack.org.uk/

If you're travelling by car you can park outside the Silk Mill on the driveway - if you need any assistance with directions just let me know.

Sorry can't help you on the second point.

Hope to see you tomorrow.
Amanda

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM, robin paulson <robin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Derby Makers,
My name's Robin, and I'm visiting Derby for the next few weeks. I'm involved in two maker spaces in Auckland, New Zealand called Tangle Ball [1] and DIYbio [2] and am taking the opportunity to visit other maker spaces wherever i go. I'd like to visit your space, and gather there is a meet tomorrow, the 25th of September. Is it OK for me to visit, and is there a donation required, of snacks or money?

On a second note, i'm doing some casting while i'm over here, and wonder if someone can advise on getting supplies. I'm looking for some polyester resin, the sort that needs an activator to make it set, like Norski 'Kleer-Kast', which is a resin i use in New Zealand [3].

Would any of you know where to source this type of material in Derby or Burton, or surroundings? I've done some web searches, but not come up with anything useful so far.

Cheers,

Robin
[1] http://tangleball.org.nz
[2] http://www.meetup.com/DIYbio-Auckland/
[3] http://www.norski.co.nz/resins.asp

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

robin paulson

Sep 26, 2012, 5:40:55 AM9/26/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
hi all,
thanks for hosting me last night, it was great to meet you all, and see where the maker scene is going in derby.

there were a few things we talked about last night, unfortunately there were so many names i can't recall who said what
* the web address of our spaces in auckland are:
http://tangleball.org.nz - you may also want to check this page, to see our projects past, present and future:
http://www.tangleball.org.nz/?q=node/200
and
http://www.meetup.com/DIYbio-Auckland/ (this group is very young, less than a month, so the site is only on meetup at the moment)
* to the guy who was talking about the dunedin space, the person in our group doing the inter-space community stuff is jaco van der merwe. i'm sure he's been in touch with them.
* i found the place that does the polyester resin for my casting, cheers for suggesting that
* could you point me to some of the photos from your 'what if?'/rube goldberg machines? they looked fascinating, and it's something we have tried with not much success so far in auckland. perhaps we can get some inspiration from your ideas?

* there was some other stuff, which i've forgotten. please remind if possible

cheers,

robin

Hydrophilous

Sep 26, 2012, 6:51:28 AM9/26/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,
Glad you had fun last night!

I've some photos from the What If? Machine on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hydrophilous/sets/72157631601116820/
There's also a brief write up on our new (and still under development) website at www.derbymakers.com

Cheers

Glyn
(And sorry if any of the flying cricket balls came too close!)