Re: [derby-makers] Hello to the group

David Evans

Sep 23, 2012, 10:02:28 AM9/23/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 23 Sep 2012, at 13:03, Jamie Hall wrote:

> I'm thinking of coming down to your next meeting (I think that's the 16th of October?) I'm a local jeweller, I work with my family at Michael Hall jewellers. I also research historical metalworking, particularly medieval goldsmithing.

That sounds great, welcome (he says rather pretentiously)! But, errr, aren't we meeting on Tuesday the 25th?

All the stuff you suggest sounds like it will get a lot of people here very excited. :)

Graeme

Sep 23, 2012, 10:38:44 AM9/23/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamie, this all sounds great and your background sounds like it will lend itself to some fascinating workshop sessions!
We're actually next meeting this coming Tuesday. You'll be made very welcome.

Graeme

On Sunday, 23 September 2012 13:03:07 UTC+1, Jamie Hall wrote:
> Hi all,

> I'm thinking of coming down to your next meeting (I think that's the 16th of October?) I'm a local jeweller, I work with my family at Michael Hall jewellers. I also research historical metalworking, particularly medieval goldsmithing.
>

> I met Hannah Fox a Crafts Council event I spoke at on Thursday. I say "met", it was more of a nod from a distance, but I went to see her at the Silk Mill yesterday, and she suggested that I get involved with this group. So here I am.
>
> I'd be particularly interested in helping getting the workshop up and running - I'd love to be able to work on tooling that I can't produce at work. We might be able to develop a reciprocal relationship - our workshop nr the main museum has a 4-axis wax milling machine for making casting models (we can work with STL files), plus we have a vacuum casting setup, a laser welder and a micro tig welder, and a Pultra lathe for making small components. Although I can't offer open access to these facilities, I'm sure we'd be able to help each other out!

Graeme

Sep 23, 2012, 3:05:15 PM9/23/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Well unless someone more in the know corrects me....

This Tuesday 25th is a meeting but I don't think that there is a specific build or project planned as some of us are preparing for a weekend away in Sunny Sheffield to build a printer so have last minute arrangements to make.

2nd Oct - No meeting.
9th Oct - AGM so no build planned.

16th Oct- In theory back to the business of making stuff.

However I say all this on no authority other than I read your follow up post before anyone else :-)

Everyone is recovering from The 'What If' machine weekend but I'll confirm 25th for you tomorrow if nobody else sees your post.

Graeme

On Sunday, 23 September 2012 18:27:04 UTC+1, Jamie Hall wrote:
> Is the 25th? Hannah said that you were taking a break, something to do with the museum going into trust? But let me know if you are doing the 25th, I should be able to pop down for a bit. What time do you meet?
>
> PS. My niche within a niche within a niche is Anglo-saxon wire manufacturing before the advent of the drawplate; I'd be happy to do some demos of the different processes they used in the Staffordshire Hoard

Amanda McLaren

Sep 24, 2012, 8:35:56 AM9/24/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Yes we're meeting on 25th 7pm - 9pm, I'm popping down to Silk Mill later this pm so will confirm that this is definitely happening later today. Sounds really interesting - we're currently putting a list together for event nights for the coming year - things people want to do, and things that people are happy to show others how to do, so it'll be good to add you to the calendar - happy to chat about it whenever you can make it down.

See you soon

Amanda

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Jamie Hall <primiti...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

T: 0777 28 48 892

Amanda McLaren

Sep 24, 2012, 11:38:36 AM9/24/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Meeting on the 25th, I've checked with the Silk Mill and they're expecting us so it's confirmed.People can bring along their own project to work on, help with dismantling the What If Machine, help prep the yarn bombing for it's next location - Royal Derby Hospital or just come along for a visit and chat.