Open Evening

Jonathan

Oct 1, 2012, 3:51:08 PM10/1/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
It's not official yet, but with the Derby Museums gaining trust status there is a plan afoot to hold an open evening at the Silk Mill on the 30th October so people can come in and see what is going on - this of course includes what Derby Makers is doing.  It also happens to be a Tuesday (actually this isn't an accident) so should be available in most DM diaries.

The idea from our point of view is to try and make it interactive, so I and some of the Silk Mill folks were thinking of a flashy badge workshop and the chance to print something (small) on the brand new 3D printer (or at least see it in action).

This is in half term week so it's possible we will have a pretty good turn out, so I'm looking for other ideas of small / simple projects people can put together when there.  The more that people can walk away with something in their hands that they have made the bigger the impact will be.

Please post up with any other ideas.  We will also need a few people to help guide visitors through the making and to put kits together in advance - any volunteers?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Dominic Morrow

Oct 1, 2012, 6:07:59 PM10/1/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there to help with soldering, do you need flashy badges?

Sent from my iPhone

Graeme

Oct 1, 2012, 7:02:46 PM10/1/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there, and available to sort stuff in advance if required.

Graeme

Jonathan

Oct 2, 2012, 2:10:19 PM10/2/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominic

Yes we will be needing flashy badges but I'd like them to be Derby Makers flashy badges rather than Nottinghack flashy badges - start getting our identity out there too.

I really liked the details on the Nottinghack badge - how did you go about designing these?  I'm trying to get something together for ours so knowing what tools to use will be a great help.  Also - where did you get your PCBs made up?  If you have a contact that would be a great help.

Cheers,

Jonathan.

MARK HANCOX

Oct 2, 2012, 3:11:58 PM10/2/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I can bring along my Rope Making Machine now it's working, people can spend a few minutes making multi-coloured rope out of string and wool, it's unexpectedly satisfying!

(I'll probably bring it along to DM before then anyway, Amanda has expressed an interest and there's a few niggles in the process which would benefit from fresh ideas.)

Cheers

Jonathan

Oct 2, 2012, 4:31:49 PM10/2/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds cool - I'd certainly like to see it.

Jonathan

David Evans

Oct 2, 2012, 4:40:37 PM10/2/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
On 2 Oct 2012, at 20:11, MARK HANCOX wrote:

> I can bring along my Rope Making Machine now it's working, people can spend a few minutes making multi-coloured rope out of string and wool, it's unexpectedly satisfying!

Yeah; that would be great!

I wonder, for the open evening can we incorporate this with something involving a glue gun? Maybe with a wooden peg and a small board with a hole to make a simple toy for 4-yos?

Jonathan

Oct 5, 2012, 11:21:58 AM10/5/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
David

The open evening is open to all ideas!  If you can put a kit together I'm sure we'll be able to find some glue guns.

Do we have any of these at the Silk Mill???

Jonathan

Amanda McLaren

Oct 6, 2012, 5:10:03 AM10/6/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I've got some I can bring along.
Amanda

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

Anne Clark

Oct 6, 2012, 6:33:47 AM10/6/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
How will people know this is on? The information for the discovery week has already gone out with children's activities advertised at the Silk Mill on the Saturday. There are loads of activities in a printed booklet but obviously the open evening is not among them so we need to think how people will know about it. When we were in the newspaper with the knitted squares we had one person contact and one lady came along after Amanda and I were on Radio Derby. The ideas for the evening sound really good and I can think of something along the craft lines but we need people to know we are there.

Anne