Wireless modules

Aug 23, 2012, 10:50:15 AM8/23/12
to Makers
I know some people on the list have experience with xbee. I was wondering if anyone knows of any similar modules that can handle >250kbps with about 100m range. I'm looking for a single transmitter multiple receiver arrangement.
P.s. how long have maplin been selling arduinos?

Thanks

Adam Ward

Aug 23, 2012, 4:00:04 PM8/23/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Zigbee (802.15.4 standard that XBee is an implementation) is designed to operate at a fixed maximum rate of 250kbit/sec.  So you'll need to find some other protocol.

One potential option might be Bluetooth, where (according to Wikipedia) "...devices functioning with GFSK are said to be operating in basic rate (BR) mode where an instantaneous data rate of 1 Mbit/s is possible...".  I expect there will be some provision of muiltiple receivers / broadcast transmissions.

Bluetooth devices are cheaper than dirt now and they are well supported in the hobbyist realm, so it's probably a good avenue to investigate.

I'm sure there are many options really but that's the one that springs to my mind.

Graeme

Aug 24, 2012, 5:11:02 AM8/24/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I've had good results with the Ciseco XRF modules.
Cheaper than XBee etc
http://www.ciseco.co.uk/content/?p=1738
I think they are about £15 including the breakout board, but you can just buy the voltage regulator and caps to drop the price a couple of pounds (they run at 3.3v)

Used them as serial comms for Arduino and also in LLAP form programmed to talk directly with each other.

Noticed Ardunio at Maplin a good few months ago now....but very pricey I think.

I usually use the Arduino Mini Pro and if you don't mind the wait, eBay will supply them from the far east for a few pounds each.
I tend to have one 'real' board on hand for testing, but again have used the Ciseco XINO in the past which is a UNO clone for under a tenner if you are happy to do a little soldering and have an FTDI cable handy.
Graeme

FloatingWombat

Aug 25, 2012, 3:12:07 PM8/25/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Hi J - if I may ask what is the required function?

On thought is WiFi - using broadcast packets will give one to many. I don't think that bluetooth will do oneto many

Aug 28, 2012, 2:44:29 PM8/28/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Rs485, specifically dmx.

Sent from my iPhone