Derby Makers Logo Concepts - feedback thread

Sally Jane Thompson

Oct 3, 2012, 7:08:22 AM10/3/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
We've got the open day coming up at the end of this month, and are hoping to have our logo done for that!
So! This thread contains all ideas put forward to date. Please everyone take the time to have a look and leave some comments, as I'll be using the feedback posted here to whittle things down to two or three drafts to send to the AGM for more feedback before we finalise our design.
I'll be doing said whittling this weekend - sorry it's not a lot of time for you all to respond, but hopefully worth the rush to get it done for the open day! :)

Feedback-wise: Doesn't need to necessarily be "I think X one should be used"...feedback like "I like X design but Y colour" or "what would X concept look like with the font from Y" or "Would be great to try something with Y in it" or "I like X but could it perhaps be made more Y", etc etc would be super useful! :)

One thing to note - almost all designs have had the Silk Mill tower in it (I did up a couple w/out for some variance, but prefer the tower designs)...on the one hand, this shows that we're all thinking roughly the same thing, and likely to end up with a design we all like from this. On the other hand, there is the concern of what to do if we ever left the Silk Mill. Personally I think if we ever did, that would be enough to warrant a new logo/rebrand anyway...and a couple of the design have formats where a new, matching logo with different elements could be done to keep it recognizable. But use this thread to weigh in with any thoughts you have on that too!

Thanks! :D
Adam.jpg
Ben.jpg
Britta.jpg
Sally1.jpg
Sally2.jpg

James Hayward

Oct 3, 2012, 8:02:54 AM10/3/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I'm not a member, so feel free to ignore all this as you see fit!

Would it be useful/desirable to include or reference the "standard" UK Hackspace H logo in your logo? Must (not all) UK Hackspaces seem to use a variant of this.

Amanda McLaren

Oct 4, 2012, 4:15:38 AM10/4/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sally

Just to say I agree about the reference to the Silk Mill, if we moved location I think it would be a big deal and worth a re-brand. Will feedback on designs when I'm back from hols - but great work, thank you.

Amanda

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

Ben Gray

Oct 4, 2012, 5:01:44 AM10/4/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

Some great designs there! I like the M in the D one best personally. Great work Sally!

James - the "standard H" logo is a bit done to death don't you think? Would be nice to have something different.

Jonathan

Oct 5, 2012, 11:20:24 AM10/5/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I've a few more variations on a theme...

Feels like we're getting close to something we can agree on

Jonathan
g3876.png
g3996.png
g4118.png

Sally Jane Thompson

Oct 7, 2012, 11:58:46 AM10/7/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for feedback! Will whittle down to a few and send those along for people to have a look at and comment on at the AGM, then will fine-tune to final design!

David Evans

Oct 7, 2012, 12:10:21 PM10/7/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I like simple, with visual punch. I also like the Silk Mill reference and agree that it's hardly an albatross. The best, to me, are variations on Sally's tower-with-words-below. The M-within-D is great but we'd have to get to the stage where it's obvious to viewers what that means. We aren't there yet. :)

Anyway, more noise from me at the AGM on Tuesday!

Sally Jane Thompson

Oct 7, 2012, 12:32:09 PM10/7/12
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave! I'm putting together a few versions based on these and the comments, and they'll be printed and put somewhere at the AGM for any comments to be written down - would love your thoughts! :)