Garbage Collection

cmho...@pacific.net.sg

Sep 11, 2009, 4:50:50 PM9/11/09
to Degrafa
Hi

I've been reading through old garbage collection posts to see if there
is a resolution to problems that have been submitted in the past but
have seen nothing to relsolve the issue - apologies if I have missed
something.

The old posts refer to CommandStack and CommandStackItems not being
cleaned up and continuing to build up in RAM. I am experiencing
exactly the same problem. I am using the Path object to parse SVG file
and I find that although most of the other objects disappear on
reload, I soon have over 100 thousand CommandStackItems that do not
want to go away!

Messing about with the underlying code and manually removing eventl
listeners etc, I can reduce memory for most objects. However, nothing
I do seems to affect the 2 above objects above, other than marginally.

Is there any perceived wisdom on how to get those objects garbage
collected - I'm very happy to give you code samples if you need them.

Regards

Mac

sc...@enpresiv.com

Sep 11, 2009, 4:51:05 PM9/11/09
to deg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm out of the office today and won't be able to respond to emails in a timely manner. If you have any urgent enquiries, please contact the office on 8232 8733.

Thanks!
Scott Mebberson

sc...@enpresiv.com

Sep 11, 2009, 4:51:23 PM9/11/09
to deg...@googlegroups.com

sc...@enpresiv.com

Sep 11, 2009, 4:51:47 PM9/11/09
to deg...@googlegroups.com

sc...@enpresiv.com

Sep 11, 2009, 4:52:07 PM9/11/09
to deg...@googlegroups.com

sc...@enpresiv.com

Sep 11, 2009, 4:52:30 PM9/11/09
to deg...@googlegroups.com

gwd

Sep 12, 2009, 6:15:33 AM9/12/09
to Degrafa
Hi,

Make sure you are using the latest code from svn: the Origin branch.
http://code.google.com/p/degrafa/source/browse/#svn/branches/Origin/Degrafa

There have been a couple of changes that assist in making objects,
including CommandStackItems, available for Garbage Collection.
Please let us know if you're still experiencing the same problem after
doing that or file an issue in the issues queue on google code.

-Greg

On Sep 12, 8:50 am, "cmhol...@pacific.net.sg"

gwd

Sep 12, 2009, 6:20:04 AM9/12/09
to Degrafa
...Or if you still experience the issue after trying the latest svn
code, definitely being able to provide the sample code that
demonstrates the problem helps us out a lot :)

If you have sample code you can either email it to us or add it as
part of an issue queue item.

-Greg

On Sep 12, 10:15 pm, gwd <greg.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Make sure you are using the latest code from svn: the Origin branch.http://code.google.com/p/degrafa/source/browse/#svn/branches/Origin/D...

Mike Henley

Sep 12, 2009, 6:32:42 AM9/12/09
to Degrafa
Hi Greg,

I'm in a similar situation as Mac, CommandStack Items are causing alot
of worry in the development team as i'm trying to get degrafa used in
some widely used products for BT Retail and O2 in the next 2 months.

Are you talking about the Degrafa zip file or downloading the
individual files from the SVN you have referenced?

If all is fine we should have some good samples available for the
degrafa website very soon including a scale nine style flex
application using purely degrafa skins.

Regards

Mike

On Sep 12, 11:15 am, gwd <greg.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Make sure you are using the latest code from svn: the Origin branch.http://code.google.com/p/degrafa/source/browse/#svn/branches/Origin/D...

cmho...@pacific.net.sg

Sep 12, 2009, 12:23:12 PM9/12/09
to Degrafa
Wow! That has made a huge difference....
I'm finding that I still have to write some code that forces the issue
a little and that Paths are not clearing up as well, but this is so
much better.
When I've spent a little more time experimenting, I'll send you the
code and impressions.

Thanks a lot for that advice.

Mac

On Sep 12, 12:15 pm, gwd <greg.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Make sure you are using the latest code from svn: the Origin branch.http://code.google.com/p/degrafa/source/browse/#svn/branches/Origin/D...
> > Mac- Hide quoted text -

gwd

Sep 12, 2009, 4:07:31 PM9/12/09
to Degrafa
Hi Mike, it was more to suggest you should check out the code from the
svn Origin branch (active development) - using a svn client.
There are a couple of changes in recent code that help with garbage
collection. If you get stuck or unfamiliar with using a svn client,
let someone know here and we'll email you an up-to-date swc.

For CommandStack/CommandStackItems in general, Jason Hawryluk is
currently working on some refactoring that has been verified to reduce
working memory requirements considerably and also further enhances
performance. I strongly suspect we will make another official Degrafa
build with cumulative enhancements and bug fixes once this has been
added in, but I can't give you a firm timeframe at this point.

The samples sound great, we look forward to seeing them.

Greg

gwd

Sep 12, 2009, 4:09:16 PM9/12/09
to Degrafa
Mac, great to hear!
If you have any code that continues to demonstrate problems, we'd love
to see it. We're committed to making Degrafa the best it can be.

On Sep 13, 4:23 am, "cmhol...@pacific.net.sg"

henle...@googlemail.com

Sep 12, 2009, 4:13:44 PM9/12/09
to deg...@googlegroups.com
Hi glen, an updated swc would be fantastic. Would I find the updated graphicpanelskin within it also? I've only used the swc before and I'm not familar with the svn client and how to do it!