Language files repo setup + language packages

Amber Leahey

Jan 21, 2019, 4:37:19 PM1/21/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Hi everyone, Just an update that Jon, Gustavo and Danny are OK with setting up new repo to be owned and maintained by community consortium. For now, Slava, myself and Jon will be admins.

Bikramjit from here SP has come up with a suggested workflow and repo design described as language packages:

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.36.24 PM.png

Let us know what you think, any questions or suggestions, nothing has been setup yet.

Best,
Amber
Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.36.24 PM.png

uit.p...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2019, 10:56:07 AM1/22/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Hi Amber. Thanks for this heads-up. The solution with language packs sounds interesting. I'm wondering about the case where a Dataverse installation with more than one language pack installed is upgrading to a new version of Dataverse, but one of the installed language packs, let's called it language B, has not been updated yet. Can the previous version of the language pack for B be run on the new version and at the same time there being a mechanism ensuring that new text not translated in the previous version of language pack for B is still displayed, but only in English?

Best, Philipp
Message has been deleted

Bikramjit Singh

Jan 22, 2019, 1:25:19 PM1/22/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Hi Phil,

That's a great point. Jayanthy can answer it better though, but I guess the internationalization code is designed to look for a valid key in the language properties files and if key is not present it falls back to English string which is always present in core code. With every release of DV version, we will release language packs separately. With this workflow the languages will be just an add-on on top of the main release and we can manage languages independently of main DV code.

Regards,
Bikram

Jayanthy Chengan

Jan 25, 2019, 3:53:34 PM1/25/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Thanks Bikram.  You're right.

Philip Durbin

Jan 25, 2019, 4:17:26 PM1/25/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
I'm loving all the coordination on this. Thanks! The one thing I'll add is that the new "language" API endpoint you're describing (or similar) will have to be added to Dataverse at some point so if someone would create an issue about this at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues at some point, it would be helpful.

I think having Dataverse in translated into multiple languages can only help the community grow. Thank you for working so hard on this!

Phil