2nd call for translators and internationalization developers!

Amber Leahey

Mar 7, 2019, 11:37:53 AM3/7/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Hi everyone,

Let's get together again to discuss the following items:

1. New Language Files Repo - design and procedures for translators
2. Internationalization Dev efforts update + next steps
3. Upcoming Harvard Community Meeting

Thanks everyone, please fill out the doodle poll! https://doodle.com/poll/ddw65y95ucwxraxq

Best,
Amber

Amber Leahey

Mar 12, 2019, 3:28:10 PM3/12/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Great, thanks for filling out the poll.

Let's meet on March 21 at 10:30 - 11:30 EDT

Join by computer audio or call line (international calls available in Zoom)

Best,
Amber

Amber Leahey

Mar 21, 2019, 3:16:18 PM3/21/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Thanks for attending the call  today here are the notes:

Attendees:

·         Kaitlin, Jayanthy, Bikram, Sohaib, Amber (Scholars Portal)

·         Gustavo, Michael, Phil (Harvard)

·         Philipp (Norway)

·         Juan (Spain)

Agenda:

Dataverse Language Packs repository - https://github.com/GlobalDataverseCommunityConsortium/dataverse-language-packs

·         Need to develop a workflow for updating from latest Harvard branch

·         Discussion about synchronizing between repositories:

o    First we need to be able to easily separate out all language files from the code in Harvard core

o    Jayanthy to create a new issue to remove french and Chinese from Harvard core, and to move all English files into an en_US folder, etc.

o    Then we can develop a workflow using Jenkins (hosted by SP) to automatically check for new Harvard release (or updates to develop branch, start with this first)

·      (   Possible ) Jenkins workflow:

1.     Automatically check for new releases and changes to the develop branch in Harvard

2.     Whenever there is a change, update in Language Packs repository

3.     Need to figure out if we can notify people in this workflow that there is something to translate (else, Harvard team might be able to create issues about changes to code indicating the line # and what changed)

4.     If can’t automate the translators notifications, will investigate what can be done when changes are made to the code manually (creating issues)

·         Could investigate using Github submodules as a means to coordinate this work as well

Documentation

·         Improve README file in github to include list of languages, versions, and primary organization responsible w/ contact info

·         Also include documentation on how to use these language files, (how to load them in Dataverse using new API call Jayanthy is developing)

·         Cross-reference this documentation in the Harvard Guides (for installers), and on the Global Consortium page

Hosting and multilingual Dataverse

·         Would be great to have a demo/test instance up with all the languages available to see / preview what a language would look like in the UI (helpful for promotion mostly, but possibly testing if maintained well enough)

·         This could be just the latest code, deployed automatically (if it breaks it breaks) but new translations would need to be deployed manually by super admins.

Sustainability

·         Need to consider who will be maintaining all of this, the repository, workflows, and translator – language responsibility, code developments, etc.

·         Discussion to happen at Community Meeting in June with others about what resources could be dedicated to this

To dos:

·         Jayanthy to create issue in Harvard core about bundling English files and removing other languages

·         Bikram to investigate setting up Jenkins workflow for auto-syncing between the Harvard Dataverse repository and the Globus Language Packs repository

·         Amber to talk to Slava about moving the DataverseEU languages over into this new language packs repository

·         Jayanthy to review the Spanish translation and merge into latest branch for release

·         Group to continue to investigate tools (perhaps ones that integrate with Github) to do comparisons, else, continue to discuss with Harvard about making issues that identify line items that have changed in the code for translators

·         Amber to submit a talk about all of this for the Community Meeting

Philip Durbin

Apr 8, 2019, 10:03:26 AM4/8/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
I'm completely fine with using an installation of Jenkins hosted by Scholars Portal but on Friday UNC started hosting Jenkins for the Dataverse community (thanks, Don and Jon!). Would it make sense to use https://jenkins.dataverse.org instead? We're planning on docmenting this new resource in the Dataverse guides: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5725

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. Great notes, Amber! Thank you!!

Amber Leahey

Apr 8, 2019, 11:18:59 AM4/8/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
Sounds like a good idea, Phil thanks for letting us know. We will be in touch about setting this up with the hosted Jenkins for DV community.

Philip Durbin

May 15, 2019, 4:18:03 PM5/15/19
to Dataverse Internationalization Working Group
I just created the "improve README" issue we talked about:

Any volunteers? :)

Jayanthy, I just tried the new "language packs" API you added and it worked great! I passed it to QA after adding some docs, as we discussed.

Finally, what's the status of Jenkins? The new server is ready to go when you are. :)

For someone who's basically monolingual, I'm pretty excited about multiple language support in Dataverse. I think it will really increase adoption. Thank you to Scholars Portal for helping to build the infrastructure and to Slava and others who have been rounding up translators!

Phil