Opening Up Java EE

Philip Durbin

Aug 18, 2017, 7:06:06 AM8/18/17
to datave...@googlegroups.com
"We believe that moving Java EE technologies including reference implementations and test compatibility kit to an open source foundation may be the right next step, in order to adopt more agile processes, implement more flexible licensing, and change the governance process."

https://blogs.oracle.com/theaquarium/opening-up-java-ee

Highlighted at https://twitter.com/delabassee/status/898303540925353985

Philip Durbin

Feb 9, 2018, 8:11:04 AM2/9/18
to datave...@googlegroups.com
By now we know that the technology has been transferred to The Eclipse Foundation under a top-level Eclipse project called "EE4J." However, EE4J is not intended to be the new brand for Java EE. It's looking like the community is leaning toward using the brand "Jakarta EE" according to http://www.tomitribe.com/blog/2018/02/java-ee-to-jakarta-ee/ but the vote is open until February 23. The other brand one can vote for is "Enterprise Profile". There's a link to the poll in the blog post above.

I recently listened to Eclipse director Mike Milinkovich on http://www.javaoffheap.com/2018/02/episode-30-on-meltdowns-paraya-and.html and he said that the best entry point for helping is to follow along at http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ee4j-community/ . He also mentioned that the first release of "Eclipse Glassfish" is being worked on.