Flyway, new SQL script process, PostgreSQL version

Philip Durbin

Mar 15, 2019, 2:53:39 PM3/15/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dataverse hackers!

Please note that https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/5349 from Karol Kulik ("MrK" in IRC, thanks!) was merged yesterday to add Flyway to the mix. This will automate the execution of SQL upgrade scripts.

There will be no "upgrade_v4.11_to_v4.12.sql" script or any scripts named like that any more. The tl;dr is to look in src/main/resources/db/migration but please please read up on the new procedure here:

In addition, if you're on a version of PostgreSQL older than 9.3 you must upgrade: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5649

Happy hacking!

Phil

Jamie Jamison

Apr 22, 2019, 3:23:05 PM4/22/19
to Dataverse Dev
I'm on PostgreSQL 9.2.24.   Since I'm behind I'll do the updates incrementally (when I get to setep 3 of the dataverse 4.12 upgrade).  Aside from the upgrades do I need  to do anything to postgres?

Thank you,

Jamie

Don Sizemore

Apr 22, 2019, 3:28:13 PM4/22/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
I had to migrate to PostgresQL-9.6 (or at least 9.3+) to upgrade to Dataverse 4.12.

Philip Durbin

Apr 22, 2019, 3:47:57 PM4/22/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
The release notes at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/releases/tag/v4.12 say, "Upgrade your version of PostgreSQL to at least 9.3. Version 9.6 is recommended." I don't think you need to do anything else with postgres.

Phil

Sherry Lake

Apr 23, 2019, 1:13:12 PM4/23/19
to Dataverse Dev
My sysadmin asked "How" does one upgrade postgres - or is it a migration?? Pointers to documents would be fine.

UVa is at 9.3, so OK for now, but want to upgrade Postgres, after we upgrade to DV 4.12 (in production);,Our test DV repo is at 4.12).

Thanks,
Sherry

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 11:53:39 AM UTC-7, Philip Durbin wrote:
Hello Dataverse hackers!

Please note that https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/5349 from Karol Kulik ("MrK" in IRC, thanks!) was merged yesterday to add Flyway to the mix. This will automate the execution of SQL upgrade scripts.

There will be no "upgrade_v4.11_to_v4.12.sql" script or any scripts named like that any more. The tl;dr is to look in src/main/resources/db/migration but please please read up on the new procedure here:

In addition, if you're on a version of PostgreSQL older than 9.3 you must upgrade: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5649

Happy hacking!

Phil

Philip Durbin

Apr 23, 2019, 1:27:12 PM4/23/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a lot of direct experience with this since I don't care about the database on my laptop and drop (delete) it often but a high level, I believe the steps are:

1. Take a really good backup. Sometimes this is called a dump.
2. Install PostgreSQL 9.6.
3. Import your backup into PostgreSQL 9.6.

Others with more experience should definitely weigh in!

Your sysadmin may or may not find the changes in this pull request helpful: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/4721/files . It does show specific RPMs and such.

I hope this helps,

Phil

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-dev/e04135da-7cef-4d78-81fe-24b3e65b9a38%40googlegroups.com.

James Myers

Apr 23, 2019, 1:42:29 PM4/23/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com

We just update from 9.3 to 9.6 and the issue we saw was that doing the standard postgres install while 9.3 was running made 9.6 switch to port 5433 (from the default 5432) which meant that, once we shut off 9.3, Dataverse couldn’t connect. I think just shutting down postgres 9.3 first will avoid this.

The other thing to be aware of is that you should probably update to the latest postgres db driver if you haven’t. The page http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/admin/troubleshooting.html mentions going to  https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html to get the latest...

-- Jim

Don Sizemore

Apr 23, 2019, 1:42:44 PM4/23/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Sherry,

PostgresQL is capable of something resembling an in-place upgrade:

Though as Phil suggests the safest method with a built-in back-out plan is to
• pg_dump
• stop and disable current service
• install and initialize new version
• pg_restore

I've imported our 9.2+ database backups into 9.6 test servers many times without incident, so far as I know.

I hope this helps,
Donald