Adding other S3 providers

Ruben Andreassen

Nov 22, 2017, 7:26:39 AM11/22/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Since i don't want to mess up the other thread about OAuth probiders I'm createing a new one.

Installed Dataverse 4.8.3 and set up a bucket on AWS and followed the installation guide. No problem. Uploaded a file in Dataverse and it appears in my S3 bucket on AWS.

So, as I understand it S3 is a storage protocol that other cloud/storage providers can use, not just Amazon.

But the Dataverse installation does not seem to let me configure other S3 providers.

Would it be possible to configure other providers in the current version of Dataverse? Or is that something to consider in the future?

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 22, 2017, 11:11:13 AM11/22/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Ruben,

Good to hear about the successful setup of AWS S3!

We targeted AWS S3 initially because it is so widely used and because that's what we use at Harvard (and we had a very real deadline to get out of our datacenter and to the cloud :)), but we're certainly interested in working with other groups that have different storage infrastructures. Is there a specific provider that you have in mind?

Note that we also have Swift support (http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/installation/config.html#file-storage-local-filesystem-vs-swift-vs-s3) in case that's something that you're interested in.

Cheers,

Danny

Ruben Andreassen

Nov 23, 2017, 1:49:31 AM11/23/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Danny,

Yes, I saw Swift in the installation guide.

I have a national provider that offers to store and archive research data in mind, but they have not confirmed that they support S3 yet. There are only roumors floating around.

I'm just researching as many options as I can at this moment. Getting knowledge of what is possible and what is not :)

- Ruben