GDCC Updates - Github, GSoC

James Myers

Feb 7, 2020, 1:04:42 PM2/7/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Just a quick note about GDCC-related activities and follow-up from the European Dataverse workshop:

First: Google Summer of Code (GSoC):

We did complete and submit an application on behalf of the community by the Feb. 5th deadline. As part of that, we generated a draft list of project ideas suited to GSoC participants (i.e. we’ve provided fairly general ideas for things that would be of interest to the Dataverse community that a student could refine to propose a more concrete project that they can accomplish over the course of a summer GSoC internship.)

This Ideas List is available at https://tinyurl.com/GDCC-GSoC-Ideas. Thanks to those who have already contributed! The list is intended to be a living document, so if you have additional ideas, or would like to be listed as a potential mentor, let us know. (GSoC is international and mentors can be anywhere.)

Google is expected to announce which organizations have been accepted into the program by Feb. 20th. At that point we should know how many students Google will support and you might want to advertise the opportunity through your networks.

Second: GitHub

GDCC has had a presence on GitHub (https://github.com/GlobalDataverseCommunityConsortium) for almost a year which has hosted repositories being used by the community for language translation work. In many discussions including several at the European workshop, there was interest in adding additional repositories that would house community-provided tests, and bring tools that are of broad interest and may have contributors from many institutions into one place.

In response, we’ve created a new repository for tests (dataverse-test-suite) and have begun moving tools such as the dataverse-previewers (initially supported by QDR) and dataverse-uploader (supported by TDL and now being extended by GDCC via the RDA grant) to the GDCC organization. We’ve also drafted a document outlining the purpose and policies for repositories within the GDCC organization on GitHub that is now available at https://tinyurl.com/GDCConGithub.

If you have comments/concerns or suggestions about the policy document, let us know. As with the GSoC Ideas, this is expected to be a living document that can evolve over time. If you’re interested in contributing to an existing repository or would like to have a new one, let us know. You can also ‘watch’ any repository of interest to track progress/be notified of new releases.

We’re happy to answer any questions you may have – by email, or during the Dataverse Community calls, etc.

As a heads up, we’re also working on some documents to summarize the various efforts related to Remote Storage (what’s happening, goals, how do they relate, are there opportunities for coordination) and Metadata (same topics, but more exploratory given the earlier stage of efforts in this area). These will be posted for community review/use but if you’re interested and able to contribute to the initial drafts, let us know.

Thanks,

   - Jim (on behalf of GDCC)

Philipp at UiT

Feb 17, 2020, 1:16:38 AM2/17/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Jim! Glad to see some of the ideas from the European Dataverse Workshop being followed up by GDCC! I think it's very useful to have the GDCC organization at GitHub as a central hub for community-driven development of Dataverse.

Best, Philipp