Community Call Today at Noon ET

Danny Brooke

Oct 22, 2019, 8:55:54 AM10/22/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

We'll have our regular call at Noon today. Connection info and notes document:

See everyone soon!

Philip Durbin

Oct 22, 2019, 4:02:01 PM10/22/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

2019-10-22 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* Community Questions

Attendees

* Julian Gautier (IQSS)
* Jim Myers (QDR, TDL)
* Jamie Jamison (UCLA)
* Phil Durbin (IQSS)
* Courtney Mumma (TDL)
* Laura Waugh (chair, TDR Steering Committee)

Notes

* (Phil) Dataverse 4.18 is next planned release. Update includes a new Preview tab for files on the file landing page and APIs for token management. See draft of release notes at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/eb21955f990aeedc1d4fc2d91b6108dbb59fb8b0/doc/release-notes/4.18-release-notes.md
   * (Jim) Will all recent Make Data Count pull requests be included in 4.18? Such as https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/6265
   * (Phil) I'm not sure but there's a very good chance. That pull request is QA on our board: https://github.com/orgs/IQSS/projects/2#card-27565065
* Community Questions
   * (Jim) Anyone else seeing occasional errors connecting to AWS S3? (Jim, QDR). Can't access the bucket, can't get a file. Should we add a retry feature in Dataverse?
      * (Phil) This is probably low priority for Harvard Dataverse because it hasn't come up, to my knowledge. As always, pull requests are welcome.
   * (Courtney) FYI: Re: direct S3 upload/ remote storage work at TDL. We've identified members who would like to store larger data on site at their premises. Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) for UT researchers. We've hired Jim to set up the “TRSA”-ish thing.
   * (Jim) Let's be careful about the acronym TRSA. TDL uses an S3 bucket that's local to their servers. They'd like to point to TACC for large files. We use the redirect to avoid streaming the file through Glassfish. AWS has a concept of pre-signed URLs for upload. It may not make sense to put big files through ingest. I'll write something up.
      * (Phil) Eskimos have seven words for snow. We could probably use some more terms for things that look and act a bit like Odum's TRSA implementation.
   * (Phil) I have a dream of demo.dataverse.org being backed by dataverse-kubernetes so that we can play with the integrations that are available in the Dataverse ecosystem. Imagine spinning up your own demo environment that has the Data Capture Module (DCM) for rsync, Geoconnect/WorldMap, OSF, OJS, Whole Tale, Archivematica, etc. There's already an issue for DCM: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-kubernetes/issues/68
   * (Courtney) I'm also curious about Amazon Linux 1 being unsupported after June 2020 and whether there are plans for that
      * (Phil) If you’re running on CentOS 7 or RedHat you’re in good shape. Dataverse has no active support for Amazon Linux 1 now. I've never heard of it.
   * (Phil) With regard to the TRSA-ish thing, another thought is that reingest APIs are available if you decide to skip ingest when using the pre-signed AWS URLs for file upload: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.17/api/native-api.html#reingest-a-file
      * (Jim) (After the call: for QDR, we added uningest/reingest options to the file edit menus - I think for admins/curators only. Haven’t gotten to create an issue/see if a PR would be useful for the community…)
      * (Phil) Great idea! Please go ahead and create an issue. Hopefully that API endpoint is backed by a command so you can piggyback off whatever permissions it requires.
   * (Phil) Phil’s Crazy Ideas, continued
      * DataverseTV - a way to aggregate video of talks (keynotes, presentations, etc) from the community about Dataverse
         * Phil will create a spreadsheet and Courtney will help populate it. She is planning another video series. The new spreadsheet is linked from https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/kJEVDqK9Yf0/mpPbVFxKCgAJ
      * New map: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-installations
         * If you'd like to help: https://twitter.com/philipdurbin/status/1186659282726469633
      * Project boards from installations of Dataverse: https://github.com/orgs/IQSS/projects
         * (Jamie) I'll make one for UCLA.
         * (Phil) Here's how ADA made theirs: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6221

Steven McEachern

Oct 23, 2019, 5:36:44 AM10/23/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all

The link to the External stools API help docs is broken (see the 4.19 Release notes).

In the section “New Features and Breaking Changes for External Tool Developers

Previews....

For more information, check out new Building External Tools section of the API Guide.”

And I’ll put a request again to please send the community call notification and planned agenda a day or two ahead.

Cheers
Steve

Philip Durbin

Oct 23, 2019, 6:00:47 AM10/23/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
D'oh! You're totally right. And the link is broken in the 4.17 release notes themselves (which I fixed) and the doc we copy and paste from (which I just created a pull request for: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/6306 ). Good catch! Thanks, Steve!

If anyone out there is curious about the new "Building External Tools" page (new as of 4.17), here it is: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.17/api/external-tools.html

To keep an eye on the 4.18 release notes as they evolve, please see https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6287

And yeah, yesterday's call didn't have any agenda but the community brought some great content. :)

That reminds me, Jim and Courtney, I assume you know about the big data efforts by Scholars Portal but I probably should have brought them up. "Support large files in upload/download contexts" at https://spotdocs.scholarsportal.info/display/DAT/2019/07/09/CANARIE+project+update%3A+Dataverse+for+the+Canadian+Research+Community . I don't know if you met Sohaib at the community meeting but recently he was asking about DCM/rsync but I assume they're open to a variety of approaches. Also, let's not forget about the "dataverse-big-data" mailing list we set up and probably all forgot about. :) It's at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dataverse-big-data . (Janet, if you're reading this, I was thinking about using "presence on the dataverse-big-data mailing list" as an indicator of a "big data" Dataverse installation persona.)

Thanks,

Phil

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Oct 24, 2019, 1:37:13 AM10/24/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phil
Good idea. It’s been a full on week here in Brisbane at the eResearch conference. We had a lot of interest in what ADA is doing with Dataverse and what it offers. Dataverse is still an unknown quantity here in Australia despite ADA being a very established archive and obviously implementing it successfully. Figshare seems to be the known quantity, but the ‘Installation Personas’ handout was shared around showing a sample of installation variations.
Janet

Philip Durbin

Oct 24, 2019, 5:51:13 AM10/24/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com