Community Call 1/31

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Jan 27, 2017, 4:48:38 PM1/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone - please join us for the community call on Tuesday! Call in information and the agenda can be found here:

If you have anything you'd like to get onto the agenda, please let me know, or just bring it up on Tuesday!

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Jan 31, 2017, 1:08:43 PM1/31/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Great call! Here are the notes. Thanks Julian and Derek for taking them!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/173BWhC7O-dQh3D7rfFCX-rw7a02igbe_X7aXL1shMAY/edit?usp=sharing

2017-01-31 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* Dataverse Community Meeting - Proposals and Session Interests
* Expanding Metadata Subjects
* Usability Testing Opportunities Coming up
* Questions from the Community

Attendees

* Danny (IQSS)
* Phil (IQSS)
* Pete (HMS)
* Derek (IQSS)
* Julian (IQSS)
* Stephen (IQSS)
* Gustavo (IQSS)
* Merce (IQSS)
* Tania (IQSS)
* Slava (DANS)
* Tim DiLauro (Johns Hopkins)
* Kaitlin (SP)
* Kevin Worthington (SP)
* Rory MacNeil (RSpace)
* Ryan Steans (TDL)

Notes

* Dataverse Community Meeting - Proposals and Session Interests
   * http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/dcm2017/proposals
   * (Rory) Possibility of a session to talk about RSpace integration with Dataverse at the University of Goettingen.
* Expanding Metadata Subjects
   * Releasing a custom homepage and better browsing experience in upcoming release.
   * Would like to show “what’s in this Dataverse”, so need a better subject vocabulary.
   * Would like to increase number of subjects in vocabulary (currently 14), and make it more granular.
   * Editing subjects lists - we’re considering all-inclusive vocabularies. How important is it that installations can customize their own vocabularies for describing and searching for data?
      * Great interest in that in Texas.
      * (Slava) Is it possible to extend subjects list via API call? (might need different subject vocabularies for different countries)
      * Want to have default vocabulary for custom installations, installations could add their own controlled vocabularies that are more suitable for their communities.
   * FAST vocabulary - simplification of Library of Congress Subject Headings. Seeking your opinion on it.
      * FAST description, tools to explore FAST’s terms (assignFAST, FAST Linked Data), FAST datasets for download . http://www.oclc.org/research/themes/data-science/fast.html
* Usability Testing Opportunities Coming up
   * Will be conducting usability tests 2/15 - 2/22
   * Planning on testing new features including a new custom home page, new subject taxonomy, and file versioning, features being implemented for Dataverse 4.7 (roadmap).
   * Sign up to participate using this Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/whlvQS4VpDBrizhO2
* Questions from the Community
   * (Slava) Do we have plans to integrate with Archivematica and Fedora?
      * (Danny) Dataverse team is in conversations with Scholar’s Portal about supporting DDI Explorer.
      * (Phil) There is working code linked from https://wiki.archivematica.org/Dataverse which is mentioned under "future integrations" at http://dataverse.org/integrations for integrating Dataverse with Archivematica. Whoops, it isn't linked from there but here it is: https://github.com/artefactual/automation-tools/tree/dev/dataverse
      * (Ryan) TDL has someone doing testing for Archivematica
      * (Slava) http://fedorarepository.org
      * (Phil) QDR talked about migrating from Fedora to Dataverse at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/VjTHzWjP4NU/mPGOObw2BgAJ
   * (Pete) How many people on the call use Dataverse APIs?
      * (Ryan) Our plan is to use the web interface.
      * (Rory) We use APIs for the integration with RSpace.
      * (Slava) DANS is using different APIs.
      * (Kevin) Was able to get URLs from the API Guides when creating Data Explorer. Was having trouble downloading a tab file and will email sup...@dataverse.org about it.