Dataverse authentication

Xiaoming Wang

Oct 9, 2015, 2:33:38 PM10/9/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi, Dataverse Cummunity
I am a developer at University of Virginia. We have set up two dataverse instances. One started with version 4.0 and upgraded to 4.1 then 4.2, the other is a fresh installation of v4.2. Both of them are working fine. Thanks for the step by step documentation, that helps a lot!
The next goal for us is to find out the authentication and authorization solutions. Is shibboleth still under experimental status? How's the development going on? Is there any institution use pubcookie and LDAP?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Xiaoming

Sonia Barbosa

Oct 9, 2015, 3:11:24 PM10/9/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello Xiaoming:
You can follow the shibboleth ticket in github here: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2117

Philip Durbin

Oct 9, 2015, 3:19:43 PM10/9/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Thanks for your kind words, Xiaoming!

I'd like to invite you (and everyone!) to get involved in the Dataverse Authentication and Authorization Community Group. Ben Companjen from https://dataverse.nl and I coordinate it and you can read about the group at http://community.dataverse.org/community-groups/auth.html

Yes, as mentioned at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2/installation/shibboleth.html Shibboleth support in Dataverse should be considered experimental until https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2117 is closed. I just commented on that issue.

Even though Shibboleth support is experiment I'd like to very much encourage people who are interested in it to try it out! That's exactly what Ben is doing and he's been finding use cases we hadn't thought of ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2512 ) and bugs ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2512 ).

There's no active development of Shibboleth at the moment but Ben did hint at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2015-10-06#i_25382 that his group is looking at implementing better group support for https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1515 . I'd also like to fix that bug 2512 above, which is in code review (but probably needs some more work).

There's a fork of DVN 3.x that has LDAP support at https://github.com/ualbertalib/dvn but our friends at http://dataverse.library.ualberta.ca but I *think* they said at the Dataverse Community Meeting that they plan to move to Shibboleth. Google Docs seems to be down at the moment but the "Breakout Session 3 (S040) : Authentication" doc linked from http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse-community-meeting/agenda might jog our collective memory.

I've never heard of pubcookie. Some guy on the internet just declared it dead ( http://irclog.greptilian.com/rest/2015-10-09#i_140637 ) but I wouldn't trust him. :)

We have all sorts of dreams for auth... OAuth, ORCID, etc. We'd love for more people to get involved!

Phil

Wang, Xiaoming (xw5d)

Oct 9, 2015, 4:22:18 PM10/9/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sonia and Phil

Thanks for reply. At this point, I don’t think Uva want to fork DVN for authentication. So we will try out the shibboleth on our dataverse instances and I will report back if we find any issue or bug. I will definitely follow the Dataverse Authentication and Authorization Community Group for new development.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Xiaoming

Philip Durbin

Nov 4, 2015, 3:34:58 PM11/4/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Great! Please do report back if you find any issues with Shibboleth.

Phil

p.s. I just realized I linked to the same issue twice in my last message. https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2548 ("one-click IdP-selection, DiscoFeed-bypass") is the use case from Ben at DataverseNL I hadn't anticipated.