Pre Community meeting 2019 catchup opp - Archivematica & self-Ingest quality/compliance

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

May 21, 2019, 4:47:16 AM5/21/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi All
I will be in Boston from Monday for the Dataverse 2019 Communiy Meeting. Considering I am travelling a long way I want to make the most of the opportunity for any pre-meeting catchups. I am interested in the following topics (for starters anyway):

- implementing Archivematica and Dataverse for preservation workflow - for example is dissemination only through Dataverse? How is Archivematica managing preservation with Dataverse as a component?

- data owners/depositors uploading “stuff” or SIPs through Dataverse as self-deposits: quality of deposits; understanding/compliance of ToU and data sensitivity relating to relevant federal, state, institutional privacy policies and regulations; and metadata quality etc

- licensing

Thanks
Janet
Archivist - Australian Data Archive
Janet.m...@anu.edu.au

Jonathan Crabtree

May 21, 2019, 8:08:43 AM5/21/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Janet

We are interested in these topics too.

Don and Andrea are also working with Jim at QDR to test the Bagit export to our distributed preservation at Odum that you might be interested in looking at and our new CORE2 project is tackling curation workflows for ingest that we would be happy to talk about too.

See you then and maybe in Sydney next week?

Jon

Crosas, Mercè

May 21, 2019, 8:37:43 AM5/21/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Jon, Janet,

We could dedicate part of Wednesday (June 19) afternoon to talk about this. We have all afternoon for Consortium related issues - we could include this conversation as part of this long session.

What do you think?
Merce

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Harvard University's Research Data Officer, Office of Vice Provost for Research
Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, Institute for Quantitative Social Science

Jonathan Crabtree

May 21, 2019, 8:38:34 AM5/21/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Sherry Lake

May 21, 2019, 9:02:16 AM5/21/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I am interested in bagit / Archivematica with Dataverse as well.

Wed. afternoon works for me. I won't be in Boston until Tuesday afternoon (as long as flights go as scheduled).

--
Sherry

Danny Brooke

May 21, 2019, 9:58:25 AM5/21/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

We can absolutely use some of the Wednesday time for this, but for those arriving early please also note that we time and office space set aside on Monday and Tuesday for community discussions on topics of interest:

I linked it from the top of the agenda page at https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/dcm2019/agenda.

See everyone next month!

- Danny

On 5/21/19, 4:47 AM, "Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive" <dataverse-community@googlegroups.com on behalf of janet.m...@anu.edu.au> wrote:

[...]

May 21, 2019, 8:59:01 PM5/21/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi All

Thank you for the responses, and yes it would be great to discuss these topics more formally on Wednesday.

I would also really appreciate any time others have for informal discussions on the Monday or Tuesday as available.  As Danny has noted, there is office space set aside.  We are in the process of adapting our processes to work with new features in Dataverse, Archivematica, bagit etc and would like to take advantage of work/experience already done.

Jon and Danny, I will email re catch-ups in Sydney next week!  Weather forecast looking pleasant so far, around 20 decC...
Thanks
Janet

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/3e045394-8002-48e5-9abd-43addd3d95ea%40googlegroups.com.

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Harvard University's Research Data Officer, Office of Vice Provost for Research
Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, Institute for Quantitative Social Science

Amber Leahey

May 22, 2019, 9:38:19 AM5/22/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Janet, I'm arriving later on Tuesday but will be around on Wednesday. My colleague Meghan Goodchild will be doing a presentation/demo on the Archivematica integration which is ready for out of the box use now. So far we haven't heard a lot of feedback from the community so would be great to touch base. My sense is that the Archivematica processing will be much more involved than the bagit workflows, but it might support more robust/custom preservation processing policies as defined by your Archive.
Happy to chat more about our experiences, and would like to hear from others about certification with CoreTrustSeal!

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

May 22, 2019, 6:59:28 PM5/22/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Amber,
Yes looking forward to the presentations, thanks. I am also looking at Atom for accessioning physical materials as part of the workflow through to data publication in Dataverse. Where and how dataverse fits into this workflow is what I’m especially interested in. I really haven’t had an opportunity to do any testing yet other than looking at your Archivematica sandbox and reading documentation due to having so much on at the moment, and planning to be away from the office for the next month.

Formalising the preservation component is an issue we have been considering for a long time! This is a really good opportunity to make this happen. See you in a few weeks.
Janet