dataverse-client-r needs a maintainer

Philip Durbin

Jul 2, 2019, 9:44:58 AM7/2/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
This is sort of old news* but dataverse-client-r is in need of a maintainer.

Yesterday a potential user reported that he can't create a dataset using dataverse-client-r: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-client-r/issues/23

If you are an R developer who can help please dive in! If you know R developers who can help, please feel free to forward this message to them.

Thanks!

Phil

William Beasley

Nov 3, 2019, 4:46:28 PM11/3/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip.  I'm responding to your comment https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-client-r/pull/24#issuecomment-549138191.

I've read issue #21 & #23.  Like most of the people, I'm willing to help, but will gladly hand it over whenever someone is more motivated to do it.  I'm willing to commit to be the official maintainer for the next 2-3 years.
I'm fairly new to the DataVerse machinery, but I'm comfortable developing R packages that call an external API.  My REDCapR package has a lot of similarities with this package, like using httr for the real work underneath (which in turn, uses curl).

I've reviewed most of the R package and feel comfortable with its operations.  I'm guessing there are people willing to help when I encounter a DataVerse question?

Will Beasley, PhD

Associate Professor of Research

OUHSC Pediatrics

William Beasley

Nov 3, 2019, 4:53:34 PM11/3/19
to Dataverse Users Community
I should mention that if you'd like me to become the maintainer, I'd modify some of the package's structure to more closely resemble the approach described in Hadley's R Packages book.  The first reason is because I think it's a good approach and has worked well for me in the past.  A second reason is that this approach is documented better and more coherently than any other approach --therefore it will be easier for someone else to modify or become maintainer in the future.

But this won't be a major overhaul.  Most of the important elements of the existing package follow this book's approach.

Philip Durbin

Nov 3, 2019, 8:30:51 PM11/3/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

Sure, we'd LOVE you to become the maintainer! And 2-3 years (or even less) is fine! Thanks! We've been working on automated testing a lot lately so maybe you and I can work together on https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-client-r/issues/22 to make sure that the code is well tested as you refactor. :)

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. Technically, it's "Dataverse" instead of "DataVerse" but I recently learned that this comes partially from a typo in re3data: https://github.com/oblassers/dmap/issues/1#issuecomment-547949129

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 4:53 PM William Beasley <wibea...@gmail.com> wrote:
I should mention that if you'd like me to become the maintainer, I'd modify some of the package's structure to more closely resemble the approach described in Hadley's R Packages book.  The first reason is because I think it's a good approach and has worked well for me in the past.  A second reason is that this approach is documented better and more coherently than any other approach --therefore it will be easier for someone else to modify or become maintainer in the future.

But this won't be a major overhaul.  Most of the important elements of the existing package follow this book's approach.

Stefan Kasberger

Nov 6, 2019, 6:27:21 AM11/6/19
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi Will,

I am the developer of pyDataverse, a Python wrapper to access the Dataverse API.

As I have read your Email, I thought, that we maybe have some common issues and/or questions regarding the Dataverse API. I know R a bit too. So, if you are getting into it, don't hesitate to ask me (i am also most of the time in the IRC channel).
And: Have a look in the pyDataverse GitHub repo. There are some files for the tests inside, which could be helpful. https://github.com/AUSSDA/pyDataverse

Regards, Stefan

Sherry Lake

Nov 19, 2019, 9:10:56 AM11/19/19
to Dataverse Users Community
FYI:

I contacted the Re3Data folks and the correction of "DataVerse" to "Dataverse" will be in the next schema revision.

--
Sherry

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 8:30:51 PM UTC-5, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Philip Durbin

Mar 24, 2023, 7:28:40 AM3/24/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com