2018-11-06 Dataverse Community Call notes

Philip Durbin

Nov 7, 2018, 6:06:40 PM11/7/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

2018-11-06 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* Community Questions

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Gustavo Durand (IQSS)
* Kevin Condon (IQSS)
* Phil Durbin (IQSS)
* Tania Schlatter (IQSS)
* Pete Meyer (HMS)
* Jim Myers (QDR, TDL)
* Jamie Jamison (UCLA)
* Lee (UCLA)
* Slava (DANS/DataverseEU)
* Paul Boon (DANS)
* Sherry Lake (UVA)
* Courtney Mumma (TDL)
* James Doiron (U Alberta)
* Piyapong Charoenwattana (U Alberta)

Notes

* Community Questions
* (Jamie) Any updates on the Consortium?
   * (Danny) Jon Crabtree has been tweeting from Botswana. Can ask.
* (Pete) Reminder: A poll is up to schedule the next meeting about big data: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-big-data/ggVIGtsiE7o/gc4PnMswBAAJ
* (Jamie) Are two Google Analytics codes possible?
   * (Pete) It should be possible via a workaround. Leave :GoogleAnalyticsCode setting empty and use a custom footer.
* (Jim) A new file uploader is available: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-uploader/wiki/DVUploader,-a-Command-line-Bulk-Uploader-for-Dataverse
   * (Phil) Worked just fine for me.
   * (Courtney) UT Austin pilot. Video coming. https://texasdigitallibrary.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TDRUD/pages/734822401/DVUploader+a+Command-line+Bulk+Uploader+for+Dataverse
* (Paul) Questions about security. Any penetration testing at Harvard or at other sites?
   * (Danny) For Harvard Dataverse testing is done by Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT). The tool is called "Whitehat Security." Penetration tests are not run regularly.
   * (Pete) I've done some limited scanning and have been talking to Danny and Gustavo and emailing secu...@dataverse.org
   * (Danny) I'd suggest asking on the dataverse-community group.
* (Jim) If there are security issues known, is there a way to find out about them?
   * (Danny) We email installation contacts.
* (James) Doing upgrades to 4.9.4. Interested in simplified upgrades ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4980 ).
   * (Danny) We will be starting #4980 soon.
* (Slava) Working on translations. Want it to be sustainable. Idea to store all translations in one RDF ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5207#issuecomment-436068661 ). Did a presentation on controlled vocabularies. Dataverse and a linked data system that uses RDF. Store back in Dataverse.
   * (Danny) This reminds me of https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4772
   * (Pete) I believe there was a group in Mexico interested in something like this (irc conversations ~ 1 year ago)
   * (Phil) Slava's presentation is linked from https://twitter.com/4tykhonov/status/1057957552879796224