Community Call Tomorrow (11/7) at Noon EST - Internationalization

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 6, 2017, 10:10:35 AM11/6/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to talking tomorrow about the community's interest in Internationalization. For a little background about the latest interest from a community member, check out Jon's post here:

As always, you can find the details to call in here:

See you soon!

- Danny

Sherry Lake

Nov 7, 2017, 10:26:23 AM11/7/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Sorry to miss the call today. I'm in Chicago at Samvera Connect this week.

Talk you in 2 weeks?

--
Sherry

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 7, 2017, 10:34:44 AM11/7/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Sherry, we'll have our call as scheduled on 11/21. Specific topics TBD. Suggestions welcome!

Philip Durbin

Nov 7, 2017, 2:52:15 PM11/7/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here are the notes from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SJ7vgg-pp8CflMNTcu7mi9W85Hm-j4bYzRJ6fBuQEkk/edit?usp=sharing

2017-11-07 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* 4.8.2 Release
* Internationalization (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/Hx_i2dbt8F8)
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Courtney Mumma (TDL)
* Tania Schlatter (IQSS)
* Pete Meyer (HMS)
* Phil Durbin (IQSS)
* Julian Gautier(IQSS)
* Mike Heppler (IQSS)
* Derek Murphy (IQSS)
* Lis Hess (IQSS)
* Gustavo Durand (IQSS - remote)
* Matthew Dunlap(HMS)
* Kaitlin Newson (Scholars Portal)
* Jayanthy Chengan (Scholars Portal)
* Kevin Worthington (Scholars Portal)

Notes

* Liz Hess is the new Executive Director of IQSS: https://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/liz-hess
* Let us know via secu...@dataverse.org if you didn't receive a security advisory.
* 4.8.2 - available either today or tomorrow. Look out for it this week.
   * Fix to locking behavior as it pertains to curators (now curators can edit datasets that are in review)
      * https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4139
   * Docker images for developers (very rough)
      * https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3938
   * Misc. small changes
* Internationalization ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/Hx_i2dbt8F8 )
   * Danny: Can Scholars Portal summarize their efforts?
   * Jayanthy:  Extended for French in Bundle.properties. Lots of remaining issues.
   * Danny: IQSS doesn't have the capacity to lead on internationalization. Can the community partner on this, such as Scholars Portal and Odum?
   * Jayanthy: It would be great if IQSS could join in. We are interested in getting our pull request merged.
   * Courtney: There is some interest at TDL in Spanish language support.
   * Gustavo: We need to design for multi-lingual rather than bi-lingual. Arabic introduces potential right-to-left text issues.
   * Phil: Translating just interface vs. interface plus metadata itself
      * Gustavo: This is very much manually done. Need to be very careful about automatically translating things.
   * Kevin W: Multilingual is challenging due to tsv files.
      * Tsv files need to define the key from a bundle
      * Need to consider deploying bundle files outside the war file
   * Phil: External tools like Data Explorer should be internationalized as well.
      * Kevin: Different languages as keys in JSON files.
* Community Questions
   * Kevin: We met with the Australian Data Archive last week. Modularity for external tools will be hugely beneficial. Thank you for that. We're interested in mapping datasets to publications.
      * Pete: Are you going to do any mapping by making use isCited relationship already in DataCite or EZID?
      * Kevin: We have an extensive journal platform and it would be interesting to see where the data is being used.
   * Danny: We're working on backing up data from S3 to storage at Harvard: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4157
   * Courtney: question from our developer, Nick. We saw a "Glassfish domain crash." Has anyone experienced this?
      * Danny: Please send the server.log file to sup...@dataverse.org
      * Pete: I was able to crash Glassfish by exhausting the memory. Use `sysstat` to look at memory and swap usage before the crash.
   * Kevin: Can we talk about the stats that are going to be implemented? The admin panel. The ability to view certain stats.
      * Danny: Our focus internally has been to write SQL queries to learn more about usage of features ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4169  ). Thank you, Kevin for contributing to these.
      * Miniverse can also be used to get metrics
      * Kevin: I've been asked to write a report.
         * Derek: We have a document ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Y_iUduSxdDNeK1yiGUxe7t-Md7Fy965jp4o4m1XEoE/edit?usp=sharing ) in our Google Drive that Kevin has been adding queries to. This has been very helpful.
         * Phil: Kevin, can you please add your questions to the doc? The questions your report is trying answer. Maybe the community can help write the queries.
         * Kevin: Yes. I'll add them.