Community Call 11/8 - DDI Explorer Demo

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 3, 2016, 5:18:09 PM11/3/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone - please join us for the community call on Tuesday! Call in information and the agenda can be found here:

Excited to hear from Scholars Portal, who will demo their DDI explorer!

If you have anything you'd like to get onto the agenda, please let me know, or just bring it up on Tuesday!

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Nov 5, 2016, 10:01:36 AM11/5/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I'm home with kids that day (no school) but I just left comments on the following issues because I believe they are all at least somewhat related to the new DDI Explorer app:

- Widgets: New Features, Visualize + Analyze Contents of Files - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1203
- Dynamic Charts for (Tabular) Data Files - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2216
- Determine how best to present which "apps" to show for which files - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2269
- Data Visualization: Allow data depositors to create and host an interactive visualization based on the data. - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3043

I'd be curious to know if the DDI Explorer app has to potential to address some of these issues. Thanks, Danny for linking to screenshots I took of the DDI Explorer app. Since then I also figure out that you can use DDI Explorer with remote data, like this:

https://dataverse.scholarsportal.info/ddi_explore/index.html?uri=https://dataverse.harvard.edu/api/access/datafile/2898319/metadata/ddi

This means that anyone with tabular data in any Dataverse 4 installation can start playing around with DDI Explorer! you just need to know the database id of your file. Everyone loves a little URL hacking, right? :)

Also highly related to all of this exploration of tabular data is the "data-viz" project by Tamir Bennatan at https://github.com/IQSS/data-viz which adds additional data visualization features to TwoRavens. There's a fantastic four minute video about it at https://youtu.be/OzrECzPf95g (which I just watched for the first time) and I'll attach some screenshots from that video of previewing tabular data and creating plots.

One of those GitHub tickets mentions the "appiverse" and it's very exciting to see additional apps being added to the ecosystem!

Phil

Kevin Worthington

Nov 8, 2016, 10:50:35 AM11/8/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi There,
In preparation for the call, I've created a branch built from v4.5.1 including the DDI Explorer which can be downloaded here https://github.com/kevinworthington/dataverse/tree/v4.5.1_with_data_explorer

I'll also be demoing the ari-Hockey-public.tab file found here https://dataverse.scholarsportal.info/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.5683/SP/GUBPAJ

Looking forward to the call today.

Kevin

Amber Leahey

Nov 8, 2016, 11:25:02 AM11/8/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Also for the demo we can try using join.me, you can join as a participate using the URL below

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 8, 2016, 11:35:01 AM11/8/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Amber. I've confirmed that it works! I'll link this up from the call notes as well.

Jonathan Crabtree

Nov 8, 2016, 12:14:57 PM11/8/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Danny

When I try the code it says invalid

Any tips?

Jon

Mercè Crosas

Nov 8, 2016, 12:24:59 PM11/8/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Jon,

If you can't use join.me, go to:

and click the Explore button for ari.Hockey-public-1.tab

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS
Harvard University

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 5:18:09 PM UTC-4, danny...@g.harvard.edu wrote:
Hi everyone - please join us for the community call on Tuesday! Call in information and the agenda can be found here:

Excited to hear from Scholars Portal, who will demo their DDI explorer!

If you have anything you'd like to get onto the agenda, please let me know, or just bring it up on Tuesday!

- Danny

Jonathan Crabtree

Nov 8, 2016, 12:36:22 PM11/8/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com