Database documentation

Péter Király

Nov 15, 2018, 11:23:56 AM11/15/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dataverse users and developers,

I am interested if there is a documentation about the PostgreSQL database?
I haven't found a systematic documentation just some references to
some tables here and there.
Since I would like to understand the system, I started to create a
graph showing the connections of the "important" tables (~ important
for me regarding to the question how Dataverse stores the data).
I don't want to do anything which is duplication of some existing
work, neither over-engeneering. I attached the graph I've created. It
is not very precise in some aspects, at least I don't know what is the
exact relationship between the dvobject.id and datafile.id, and the
graph does not display the cardinality of the relationships.
The entities contain '...' if not all the fields are displayed. They
never contain ids and external identifiers pointing to other tables
(they are displayed as labels of the relationship).

Best,
Péter

--
Péter Király
software developer

Sherry Lake

Nov 15, 2018, 11:28:48 AM11/15/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Peter,

Here are a couple of links I have found, not sure where I got them:

dvndb schematic:

http://phoenix.dataverse.org/schemaspy/latest/index.html

Useful queries for dataverse Postgres database:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Y_iUduSxdDNeK1yiGUxe7t-Md7Fy965jp4o4m1XEoE/edit

Any other documentation, IQSS-dataverse team?

--

Sherry

Péter Király

Nov 15, 2018, 12:07:19 PM11/15/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sherry,

thanks a lot for both links. They are super useful for me, and I was
not aware of them.

Best,
Péter

Philip Durbin

Nov 15, 2018, 1:24:42 PM11/15/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I recently added the SchemaSpy link to http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9.4/developers/tips.html#schemaspy so I guess it's official. :) Feedback on what I wrote there is welcome! I find the SchemaSpy output incredibly useful and I'm glad some others are getting value out of it.

The  "useful queries" doc is pretty awesome and linked from https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4169 but I'm not sure what the "definition of done" is for that issue. For now, people should make suggestions to the doc directly.

There are some diagrams under "doc/Architecture" but all of these are years old and might mislead you:

If you think we should maintain a few diagrams of important tables, please feel free to create a GitHub issue about this. SchemaSpy requires no manual effort, which is nice. It's triggered every time we run our integration test suite on the "phoenix" server.

dvobject.id and datafile.id should be the same for any file and the same is true for the dataverse and dataset table. This is a JPA thing and you can have a read through https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/733 if you'd like a deep dive but rather than leaving comments there (which we may not read since the issue is closed) a better place would be a new issue or a new thread on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dataverse-dev

Thanks,

Phil

Péter Király

Nov 15, 2018, 2:53:47 PM11/15/18