2018-07-02 Dataverse Community Call - suggestions for topics?

Derek Murphy

Jul 2, 2018, 11:58:11 AM7/2/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

Danny is on vacation this week, so I'll be running tomorrow's Dataverse Community Call. If anyone has any suggestions for topics of discussion, let me know in this thread!

Best,

Derek Murphy
UX Researcher
Dataverse Team

Sebastian Karcher

Jul 2, 2018, 12:13:57 PM7/2/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
There was a vivid discussion about file level citations on the list. Might make sense to re-visit briefly on the call. Jim or I could share some screenshots how this currently looks on QDR's dev server.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Derek Murphy

Jim Myers

Jul 3, 2018, 9:34:10 AM7/3/18
to Dataverse Users Community
FYI: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4777 has a screenshot of how the two file citations might look. A couple notes:

The text outside the blue citation boxes is in Bundle.properties and since the screen capture, we've simplified it to:

This file is part of "QDR-982 testing".
Cite the whole Data Project:

Cite this Data File directly:

QDR also uses '.' instead of ',' as a separator, uses 'Data Project' instead of 'Dataset' and has a repository name different than the root collection name and the screenshot reflects this. For a PR to Dataverse, I expect the separator will stay as ',' the default Bundle string would say 'Cite the whole Dataset', and the 'organization name' before the DOI would be the same as the root collection name (if there's interest in allowing an org name independent of root collection name for branding purposes, that might be something to take up as a separate issue).

Philip Durbin

Jul 3, 2018, 1:08:15 PM7/3/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

2018-07-03 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda
* File level citations
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Derek Murphy (IQSS)
* Gustavo (IQSS)
* Julian (IQSS)
* Matthew (HMS)
* Oscar (IQSS)
* Jim Myers (QDR)
* Pete (HMS)
* Paul Boon (DANS)
* Sherry Lake (UVA)
* Courtney Mumma (TDL)
* Jamie (UCLA)
* Thu-Mai (ODUM)
* Sebastian (QDR)

Notes

* Community Questions [discussed after file citation discussion]
   * file PIDs tested w\ handles?
      * We will check and get back to you
      *  Checked with Kevin from QA and the answer is Yes.
* file citations
   * possible loss of user context from file doi citation if no context for dataset; retaining context for users is important [Thu-Mai]
   * discussion of prototypes, google group posting (like chapter of book, or not like chapter of book - ~ top-level thing vs dependent thing): https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/ZY53hidy-MU/wFvnc1uLBgAJ
   * question on example for not like chapter of book; no examples from folks on call
   * Prototype screenshot at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4777
   * include checksum in file citation (UNF analogue)? general consensus no (users barely know what DOI is, don’t know what checksum is - would cause more user confusion than it’s worth)
      * is there a checksum field in DataCite metadata?
         * Sebastian: Turns out there is not. There is “AlternateIdentifier” which, together with alternateIdentifierType, could certainly be used that way, but it would probably be a good idea to check with DataCite if anyone else is doing that[a]
* FYI: ORE/BagIt/DPN plans updated at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4706 based on discussions at Dataverse 2018

[a]Could ask in this forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/datacite-metadata/Di5TSstfafU. Looks like it hasn't been asked before.

Maybe a descriptionType could be used as well?

Mercè Crosas

Jul 3, 2018, 1:44:24 PM7/3/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I added a comments in the Notes on DataCite and Schema.org metadata field for checksums.

Here are the recommendations for schema.org on citation metadata:

Name

URL

Description

Required

@id

Primary identifier expressed as URL/URI. See discussion of identifier.

JSON-LD uses @id, RDFa 1.1 uses resource, microdata uses itemid.

@type

http://schema.org/Dataset
http://schema.org/SoftwareSourceCode
http://schema.org/CreativeWork

Should in most cases be Dataset.

identifier

http://schema.org/identifier

DOI expressed as URL.

One of the identifiers can be a checksum using propertyValue with the specific checksum algorithm and checksum.

url

http://schema.org/url

Location of the resource, expressed as HTTP URL. This would normally be the landing page.

includedInDataCatalog

http://schema.org/includedInDataCatalog

Data provider (data catalog) which hosts this dataset.

name

http://schema.org/name

The name or title of the resource.

author

http://schema.org/author

The author(s) of the dataset. Schema.org uses creator as synonym.

datePublished

http://schema.org/datePublished

Date of first publication.

dateCreated

http://schema.org/dateCreated

The date on which the CreativeWork was created.

additionalType

http://schema.org/additionalType

An additional type for the item, typically used for adding more specific types from external vocabularies.

description

http://schema.org/description

Used for discovery.

keywords

http://schema.org/keywords

Used for discovery.

license

http://schema.org/license

A license document that applies to this content, typically indicated by URL.

version

http://schema.org/version

The version of the dataset.

citation

http://schema.org/citation

A citation or reference to another creative work, e.g. an article describing the dataset.

isBasedOn

http://schema.org/isBasedOn

A resource that was used in the creation of this resource.

PredecessorOf

http://schema.org/predecessorOf

A pointer to the next version.

successorOf

http://schema.org/successorOf

A pointer to the previous version.

hasPart

http://schema.org/hasPart

A dataset (or other creative work) that is part of this resource.

isPartOf

http://schema.org/isPartOf

A dataset (or other creative work) that this resource is part of.

funder

http://schema.org/funder

One or more organizations that provided support via a financial contribution.

contentSize

http://schema.org/contentSize

File size

fileFormat

http://schema.org/fileFormat

MIME format, or described via URL

contentUrl

http://schema.org/contentUrl

Actual bytes of the media object, for example the image file or video file.