Solr config on AWS EC2

Deirdre Kirmis

Jan 15, 2020, 1:50:10 AM1/15/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi All...wondering if anyone is running DV on AWS and has Solr running on its own server (separate from the DV web server)? I asked this question in the community forum but am still having issues. I used dataverse-ansible to install Solr (using tags="solr") on the EC2 instance to make sure it was identical to the one that was running on my server. Then, I used the command "curl -X PUT -d <solr ec2 IP address>:8983 http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:SolrHostColonPort" to change the SolrHostColonPort database value to point to the solr server. I added a security group to the solr ec2 instance that allows port 8983 traffic from my web server.

I can use the curl command "curl http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/schema/fields" and see the schema/field results, and I can use "curl http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/select?q=*%3A*&wt=json&indent=true" and it runs but doesn't find any records. On the server, when I load DV, I get a Connection Refused error. I don't think solr is seeing the database.

Are there other config settings that I need to change? Any ideas what I'm missing. I appreciate any help!

Also, there was some indication today that it is perhaps not the best idea to run solr this way due to security risks. How have you handled that? I am pretty specific in my security groups in AWS about what has access to solr...really only the web server on port 8983.

Thanks for any insight!

Donald Sizemore II

Jan 15, 2020, 5:00:40 AM1/15/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Deirdre,

The Ansible role defaults to telling Solr to listen for requests only on localhost (home sweet home).

Look in /usr/lib/systemd/system/solr.service for an option “-D jetty.host=127.0.0.1”, remove it, issue a “systemctl daemon-reload” then “systemctl restart solr” and try to connect?

Yes, be certain that only the Dataverse web application may talk to solr and you should be fine.

I’m happy to Zoom today if you have any questions (or complaints) about the Ansible role.  We here at Odum are preparing for a Dataverse upgrade so I’ve been running over our checklists, and I’m finally dipping my toe into running production Dataverse services in AWS.

painstakingly pecked on my iphone.

Deirdre Kirmis

Jan 15, 2020, 8:42:31 AM1/15/20
to Donald Sizemore II, dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That did the trick! Thanks for mobile-typing...you saved me a ton of time! =D

I am a HUGE fan of dataverse-ansible .. I have said many times that it is a work of art! I initially went through the entire DV install manually several times, and then found the ansible role and have used it quite a few times to install DV or pieces of it...thank you for it!!!

Deirdre Kirmis
Web Application Developer
Discovery Services
ASU Library