What would you like to see in the Dataverse Developers Guide?

Philip Durbin

May 11, 2015, 4:52:32 PM5/11/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'm writing to ask what *you* would like to see in the Dataverse Developers Guide.

http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers is what we have right now but it's a little light on details.

We'd *love* to have more people sending us pull requests (Thanks, Jian! Thanks, Akio! Thanks, Ben!) so please let me know what would be helpful to put in the dev guide!

More about setting up your dev environment?

More about how we use git?

Please feel free to reply here or comment on https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/912

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. Please note that I'm talking about the main Dataverse server project. We don't really have much of a dev guide for https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-client-python ... yet! :)

Ben Companjen

May 12, 2015, 7:45:08 AM5/12/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

Thanks for asking! I'm tempted to go philosophical and try to think of what the ultimate developers guide would look like, but let me try to keep it simple (talking to myself here). :)

When looking at the Guide, I would like to see:
- a short introduction that includes
    - intended audience
    - relation to other Guides and roadmap
    - relation to CONTRIBUTING.md in the Git repository
- revision information (last change at least)
- what to expect from IQSS, including
    - the level and kind of support for external developers, such as involvement on communication platforms
    - what happens when you create an issue or do a pull request
    - what kind of issues are considered high priority and will definitely be taken on by IQSS
    - things that IQSS considers interesting for Dataverse, but out-of-scope for their own team
- requirements for contributed code, including
    - licencing of contributed code
    - code style
    - why (no) javadoc?
    - why (no) tests?
- code version control, i.e. git workflow

Some of these bullet points are already in CONTRIBUTING.md and maybe they should be moved and linked, or maybe it's fine as it is.
Others have been discussed, like code style and git workflow.

Regards,

Ben

Philip Durbin schreef op 11-05-15 om 22:52:

Ben Companjen
Information systems engineer / Information manager
ben.co...@dans.knaw.nl
+31 6 1334 9717
Skype: bencompanjen

Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS promotes sustained access to digital research data. See www.dans.knaw.nl for more information and contact details. DANS is an institute of KNAW and NWO.

DANS | Anna van Saksenlaan 51 | 2593 HW The Hague | P.O. Box 93067 | 2509 AB The Hague | +31 70 349 44 50 | in...@dans.knaw.nl | www.dans.knaw.nl

Philip Durbin

May 12, 2015, 3:28:53 PM5/12/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ben! This is exactly what I wanted. I just pushed a change* to incorporate some of these ideas: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers

I'm not done working my way through your list though... more to come!

Anyone else? I'm trying to make it good enough to be tagged with 4.0 this week. :)

Phil

* https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/commit/44b1e1b

Lucien van Wouw

May 13, 2015, 9:29:43 AM5/13/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu

Hello Philip,

What I like to see in the guide is your branch or tag naming convention; something that indicates if a branch or tag is stable; a RC of development code.
For example... now, would I fork and then branch from the master or 4.0.1 ? Is master a development or test or acceptance branch ? Is 4.0.1 release code that also runs your dataverse ?

Best wishes,

Lucien.

Philip Durbin

May 13, 2015, 5:58:15 PM5/13/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucien,

Thanks for the suggestions! I just pushed* another change that covers our branching strategy. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers

Thanks!

Phil

* Dev Guide: branching, testing, releases, and more! - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/commit/bc1adcc

Philip Durbin

May 13, 2015, 6:01:40 PM5/13/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
In my latest commit* I tried to address the rest of your points, Ben.

Except for the ones I don't understand but I'll just follow up with you in the #dataverse freenode channel about those. :)

In the process I realized that a lot of your questions have to do with guidelines for contributors so in several places in the dev guide I'm not linking to https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Anyway, please check out the latest and let me know what you think!