Changing the hostname when using openshift

Jurn van Mieghem

Jan 8, 2018, 11:48:20 AM1/8/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all

I have been struggling a bit with getting Dataverse to work on an OpenShift environment. It installs beautifully, and redeploy seems to work. However when I want to publish my first dataverse I get an error:  Error – This dataverse was not able to be published. If you believe this is an error, please contact Root Support for assistance.
One of the suspects at the moment is the domainname, in the editor of the Root Dataverse it says at identifier:  https://localhost/dataverse/root. However I haven't been able to find a configuration in which this domain is set in OpenShift.

Can someone help me on changing this?

Pete Meyer

Jan 8, 2018, 1:26:16 PM1/8/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jurn,

I *think* that the OpenShift images are using the normal installer in interactive mode; so the host name is probably coming from the `HOST_DNS_ADDRESS` value in `default.config`.

I'd be surprised if having this set to `localhost` was related to the problem you're seeing publishing a dataverse though.

Best,
Pete

Condon, Kevin M

Jan 8, 2018, 1:29:27 PM1/8/18
to Dataverse Users Community

Are you able to access EZID (default) to register the test doi? It throws the same error when you cannot register a persistent id on publication.

Philip Durbin

Jan 8, 2018, 1:38:03 PM1/8/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
When you get that error, I'm guessing that there is a stacktrace in the Glassfish log (server.log) that would be interesting to look at. Can you please click* "Publish" again on that dataverse and either paste the stracktrace here or email the whole file to sup...@dataverse.org? If you could let us know what version of Dataverse you're using that would be great.

It's also possible to publish dataverses via API. It would be interesting to see if you get a different or more detailed error. Here's a script that publishes the root dataverse via SWORD (also possible from the "native" API): https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/develop/scripts/search/tests/publish-dataverse-root

Finally, the main setting for controlling the domain is `dataverse.siteUrl`: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.4/installation/config.html#dataverse-siteurl

I hope this helps and that it's not too much at once. :)

Phil

* For my reference the error seems to be coming from here: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.8.4/src/main/java/edu/harvard/iq/dataverse/DataversePage.java#L873

Jurn van Mieghem

Jan 9, 2018, 11:41:28 AM1/9/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks for the quick response. I have a lot of limitations in getting the log file to my own system.
However when I take a look at the log you mentioned I see that I can't find /solr/update;

<h2>HTTP ERROR: 404</h2>

So i'll have a look on why solr can't be found and if I have a further issue I'll add to this or a new ticket.

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:48:20 AM UTC-5, Jurn van Mieghem wrote:
Hi all

I have been struggling a bit with getting Dataverse to work on an OpenShift environment. It installs beautifully, and redeploy seems to work. However when I want to publish my first dataverse I get an error:  Error – This dataverse was not able to be published. If you believe this is an error, please contact Root Support for assistance.
One of the suspects at the moment is the domainname, in the editor of the Root Dataverse it says at identifier:  https://localhost/dataverse/root. However I haven't been able to find a configuration in which this domain is set in OpenShift.

Can someone help me on changing this?

Philip Durbin

Jan 9, 2018, 12:51:35 PM1/9/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Huh. That's odd that Solr is down. Yes, please do feel free to create tickets at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues (one per issue, please).

Philip Durbin

Jan 10, 2018, 7:32:31 AM1/10/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Also, Jurn, can you please tell us a little more about what you are trying to accomplish? I hope it's clear enough from the guides that using Minishift is very new and experimental, something for developers, not for production use.

Phil