Updating Citation Metadata - Changes not Displaying on Dataset Creation or Full metadata page

Sherry Lake

Apr 18, 2019, 11:49:32 AM4/18/19
to Dataverse Users Community
UVa is now at 4.12, went from 4.9.4 (updating each release 4.10, 4.10.1, 4.11, 4.12).

So am not sure exactly when the citation metadata (changes to) broke...

UVA has modified the citation.tsv file and after each upgrade (except for this one), things looked good.

But this time my edits to the text in the columns "title", "description", and "watermark" are not displaying.

The database table "datasetfieldtype" has all my changes, BUT they don't show up on the metadata entry pages. The original citation.tsv text is still there.

For example - I did this to test, I changed the watermark for the Title and the Title description. The new watermark and the new description are in the database table "datasetfield" BUT my watermark does not show, nor does my description - mouse-hover over "?" text. There is a watermark (what was in the original citation.tsv file) and there is a description, but not my edited version.

What I see on create dataset:

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 11.42.47 AM.png

What I see in the database:

select * from datasetfieldtype where name='title';

 id | advancedsearchfieldtype | allowcontrolledvocabulary | allowmultiples |                        description                         | displayformat | displayoncreate | displayorder | facetable | fieldtype | name  | required | title |      watermark      | metadatablock_id | parent

datasetfieldtype_id | validationformat |              uri

----+-------------------------+---------------------------+----------------+------------------------------------------------------------+---------------+-----------------+--------------+-----------+-----------+-------+----------+-------+---------------------+------------------+-------

--------------------+------------------+--------------------------------

  1 | t                       | f                         | f              | Sherry's edits - Full title by which the Dataset is known. |               | t               |            0 | f         | TEXT      | title | t        | Title | NO!! Enter title... |                1 |

                    |                  | http://purl.org/dc/terms/title

(1 row)

So where are the watermarks and descriptions coming from?  Not the database table.

Thanks.
Sherry

Sherry Lake

Apr 19, 2019, 3:30:44 PM4/19/19
to Dataverse Users Community
After lots of researching on my own, discovered https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4684 - so with 4.10 and language support, updating metadata blocks changed.

And the new Metadata Customization guide that says the properties bundle file needs to be updated if the description or watermark is changed.

If any of the below mentioned property values are changed, corresponsing ResourceBundle property file has to be edited and stored under dataverse.lang.directory location

So even though the table "datasetfieldtype" is updated, I now need to update the citation.properties file?

I am not sure if I need to put not only this changed file (citation.properties), or ALL of the properties files in a language directory?

This is not clear whether I need all properties files (even the ones I didn't touch), or just the one with changes?

To set the "dataaverse.lang.directory" I need a "path" - how should I write the path, or better yet, where should I put this language directory and then what path should I use in the command?

Thanks for any help in this.

Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

Apr 22, 2019, 7:57:14 AM4/22/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

You've found the right page in the guides but the instructions are obviously not clear enough. Can you please open an issue to improve them? Here's a handy link to the issue tracker: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Thanks!

Phil

James Myers

Apr 22, 2019, 10:39:34 AM4/22/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Sherry,

Thanks for digging into this. I didn’t realize that the customized title/descriptions we created at QDR, who’s values are in the database, were being overwritten by the new citation.properties file in the distribution, which is what happens if you have not set up dataverse.lang.directory, etc.

FWIW: A quick workaround I see from looking at the code is to remove/rename the …/dataverse-4.12-qdr-dev/WEB-INF/classes/propertyFiles/citation.properties file. The code looks for a citation.properties file in the dataverse.lang.directory and if that doesn’t exist, it looks for the default citation.properties file shipped in the Dataverse app and only if this file also doesn’t exist (or the entry for the specific string doesn’t exist), does it use the database value.

-- Jim

Error! Filename not specified.

Philip Durbin

Apr 22, 2019, 11:10:47 AM4/22/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for jumping in, James. Heads up to Sherry and other on 4.12 is that the "propertyFiles" directory is in the upcoming release of Dataverse: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5720

propertyFiles is the directory we should document since it's the future.

Philip Durbin

Apr 22, 2019, 8:14:34 PM4/22/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Whoops! I just spend a little time on lang stuff and I was wrong about the propertyFiles directory. Developers should be aware that the propertyFiles directory was introduced recently (in 4.13) but sysadmins don't need to care about it.

Here's my understanding after playing around a bit.

First, out of the box, Dataverse will use the strings from the war file. These are only in English.

If you configure Dataverse for multiple languages (using the ":Languages" database setting and the "dataverse.lang.directory" JVM option) Dataverse will switch to pulling strings from properties files outside the war file.

I guess an interesting side effect of this is that sysadmins are given a lot more flexibility to change the wording that appears in Dataverse. In the attached screenshot, I changed "Advanced Search" to "Advanced Search!!!"

I configured my JVM option like this:

./asadmin create-jvm-options '-Ddataverse.lang.directory=/home/glassfish/lang'

Then I edited /home/glassfish/lang/Bundle.properties to add the exclamation marks. Here they are:

grep advancedSearch /home/glassfish/lang/Bundle.properties
dataverse.search.advancedSearch=Advanced Search!!!

So, Sherry, maybe this is all you need to do, but you need to edit the right file. I assume "citation.properties" is the file to edit in your case. Please note that you must stop and start Glassfish for any changes to show up.

Here's the full list of files I have in place (both English and French):

/home/glassfish/lang/astrophysics_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/astrophysics.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/biomedical_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/biomedical.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/BuiltInRoles_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/BuiltInRoles.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/Bundle_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/Bundle.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/Bundle.properties.orig
/home/glassfish/lang/citation_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/citation.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customARCS.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customCHIA.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customDigaai.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customGSD.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/custom_hbgdki.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customMRA.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customPSI.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/customPSRI.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/geospatial_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/geospatial.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/journal_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/journal.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/MimeTypeDisplay_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/MimeTypeDisplay.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/MimeTypeFacets_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/MimeTypeFacets.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/socialscience_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/socialscience.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/ValidationMessages_fr.properties
/home/glassfish/lang/ValidationMessages.properties

I downloaded these files from https://github.com/GlobalDataverseCommunityConsortium/dataverse-language-packs (thank you, translators!)

I hope this helps! Please keep the feedback and questions coming.

Phil

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 7.59.06 PM.png

Sherry Lake

Apr 23, 2019, 1:47:19 PM4/23/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jim.

I just tried your suggestion of removing (renaming, is what I did) the citation.properties file that came with the upgrade.

My watermarks, help hints and field names look the way I have them in the database.

--
Sherry

Péter Király

May 14, 2019, 12:32:40 PM5/14/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I had also problems with following the documentation of Dataverse, the
GlobalDataverseCommunityConsortium/dataverse-language-packs (for which
there is no documentation) and IQSS/dataverse-docker (where there are
the language files created for DataverseEU project). I spent lots of
times to figure out how it works. What I came up with is the
following:

cd ~
mkdir lang
git clone https://github.com/GlobalDataverseCommunityConsortium/dataverse-language-packs
cp dataverse-language-packs/en_US/* lang
cp dataverse-language-packs/fr_CA/* lang

git clone https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker
cp dataverse-docker/dataversedock/dataverse-property-files/de-AT/* lang
cp dataverse-docker/dataversedock/dataverse-property-files/hu-HU/* lang
cp dataverse-docker/dataversedock/dataverse-property-files/it-IT/* lang
cp dataverse-docker/dataversedock/dataverse-property-files/se-SE/* lang
cp dataverse-docker/dataversedock/dataverse-property-files/sl-SI/* lang
cp dataverse-docker/dataversedock/dataverse-property-files/ua-UA/* lang

asadmin create-jvm-options '-Ddataverse.lang.directory=/home/glassfish/lang'
curl http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:Languages -X PUT -d
'[{"locale":"en", "title":"English"}, {"locale":"fr",
"title":"Français"}, {"locale":"de", "title":"Deutch (AT)"}]'

Notes/Questions:
1) the language files should be in the same directory, however the git
project contains subdirectories. You have to put all languages to the
same directory.
2) in case there is no English property file in the directory
Dataverse produce a fatal error (the service will be unavailable). For
me the solution was to undeploy and redeploy Dataverse with manually
fixing the setting table in PSQL.
3) some language file produce strange results, like modifing the menu
(I found it in the Hungarian translation)
4) it is not clear how to make distinction between variations of
languages: GB and US English, French and Canadian French, German and
Austrian German. It is Bundle_de-DE.properties or
Bundle_de_DE.properties should be the name of the file?
5) Should the original Bundle.properties (and similar) files be copied
into this common directory?

Best,
Péter
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CADL9p-U_Zf60%3DCZz-aPiNCpgCVhFpEm2uxqyL60Jh7cs5KK5KQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Péter Király
software developer
GWDG, Göttingen - Europeana - eXtensible Catalog - The Code4Lib Journal
http://linkedin.com/in/peterkiraly

Philip Durbin

May 14, 2019, 1:52:44 PM5/14/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all this great feedback, Péter! Great timing because Jayanthy Chengan from Scholars Portal *just* made a pull request (thank you!!) to make this process much easier someday. Please see https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5806

Thanks,

Phil