DOI Registration with DataCite for shared DVN installations

Alan Darnell

Feb 4, 2016, 2:33:35 PM2/4/16
to Dataverse Users Community
I understand that support for the native DataCite API for DOI registrations is in the works for a future release.  Are there any details on the functionality that will be supported?

In particular, I am interested in whether it will be possible to associate different DataCite accounts (and prefixes) with different Dataverses.  We have a number of libraries using a shared Dataverse instance -- each library has its own account with DataCite and so its own prefix.  Ideally, we would like to associate accounts and prefixes with IP Groups so that datasets created under a specific IP group can be registered with an institution specific prefix.

Thanks.

Castro, Eleni

Feb 4, 2016, 3:46:30 PM2/4/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

I am working with the developer, Stephen, on pulling together the requirements for this particular feature. Would you be able to comment on how critical it would be to have DataCite prefixes set for each institution (ideally by IP Groups) or could you start with one generic Scholars Portal Dataverse DataCite DOI prefix for your entire installation to begin with? I apologize for my ignorance on this and thank you for sharing this question with the community.

Best,
Eleni

Alan Darnell

Feb 4, 2016, 4:30:23 PM2/4/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks for the quick response.  Glad to hear that requirements are in the works.

We could start out with a single installation prefix, but there should be an option to suppress automatic generation of a DOI to allow an institution that uses DataCite to mint its own DOIs with its own institution prefix to add these manually.  Otherwise, we would end up with 2 DOIs pointing to the same resource, which would not be terrible, but could be confusing.

Ultimately, it would be good to have a prefix "override" at the Dataverse level -- a place to enter institutional DataCite credentials -- that would override the default server level credentials and prefix.  The reasons for this include stats tracking.  If you look at this Datacite site, you can see how stats on registrations and resolutions are captured:

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Alan Darnell <alan.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
I understand that support for the native DataCite API for DOI registrations is in the works for a future release.  Are there any details on the functionality that will be supported?

In particular, I am interested in whether it will be possible to associate different DataCite accounts (and prefixes) with different Dataverses.  We have a number of libraries using a shared Dataverse instance -- each library has its own account with DataCite and so its own prefix.  Ideally, we would like to associate accounts and prefixes with IP Groups so that datasets created under a specific IP group can be registered with an institution specific prefix.

Thanks.

Eleni Castro

Feb 10, 2016, 11:49:47 AM2/10/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Alan,

I will be reviewing your requirements with the Dataverse team in order to prioritize work on this, but for the sake of transparency please follow the github issue https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2943 I created based on your requirements and feel free to add comments there (you can also subscribe to this to track progress). This business requirements document for DataCite DOI Support, which I put together might also be helpful (open for anyone in the community to add comments there too) https://docs.google.com/document/d/11nABjLS_lbwuBCkcZ1ldVr5O2rZEaPQRFq69fsfLbqM/edit?usp=sharing.

Thanks again for sharing this with us!
Eleni