Privacy / Datatags

George Duimovich

Jan 22, 2015, 1:23:43 PM1/22/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Regarding Datatags prototype tool (http://datatags.org/) and upcoming privacy enhancements -  some kind of integration with Dataverse is expected and the Datatags.org site will be able to work as a “standalone tool” as well.

This functionality will be optimized and centered around US laws, privacy governance and policy requirements (currently the main use case and where the funding support is coming from), but much of this support infrastructure appears to be more generally applicable outside of US jurisdictions.

Anyone have thoughts on how generalizable this part of the Dataverse ecosystem will be? For example, is the idea that the policy framework(s) embedded within the Datatags platform could be (eventually)  adapted according to other regulatory/policy regimes, say, in Canada or elsewhere (e.g. in a scenario where the Datatags platform is open sourced, or customization option is provided, etc.)?

Not an expert in the area, but on the surface I would assume that there are many commonalities across different policy regimes (applicable to, say, health data privacy).  So in that context it would appear that there's potential for general utility outside the US, but I am very curious to hear from anyone who has thoughts or insights into how this is likely to play out longer term?

BTW, kudos to development team and general community -- what an amazing platform!

Thanks,

George Duimovich
Carleton University

Michael Bar-sinai

Jan 23, 2015, 8:44:16 AM1/23/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello George,

I'm glad you like DataTags. As you suggest, the infrastructure is general and may be extended to support other regimes. It may also support non-legal questionnaires, as long as they are "closed-ended'.

We open sourced the system on GitHub here:

The Questionnaire is written in a language we created for this purpose. The tags are defined here:

And the interview itself here:

The language is not yet ready for human consumption, but we hope to get it ready later this year. Then, anyone could create their own questionnaires. If you want to give it a go now, I'll be happy to help - some technical knowledge may be required, though.

Have a great weekend,
Michael Bar-Sinai
IQSS and BGU

Slamet Riyanto

Jan 4, 2017, 8:55:39 PM1/4/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Michael,

Can you explain how Datatags installation to integrate Dataverse?

Best Regards,
Slamet Riyanto
Scientist
Indonesian Institute of Sciences

Philip Durbin

Jan 5, 2017, 7:56:11 AM1/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I believe the most recent slides are "DataTags, the Tags Toolset, DataTags, and Dataverse Integration" from Michael's presentation at the 2016 Dataverse Community Meeting: http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/files/dcm2016/files/datatags-dvncm16_1.pdf which is linked from http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/dcm2016/privacy-workshop . There are some mockups toward the end.

This is the issue we're using to track the work of integrating DataTags with Dataverse: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/871 . Per http://dataverse.org/goals-roadmap-and-releases this is not scheduled until Dataverse 5.

I hope this helps!

Phil

Mercè Crosas

Jan 5, 2017, 9:37:17 AM1/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You can also find some of my presentations on DataTags and supporting sensitive data with Dataverse here:

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS
Harvard University

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Slamet Riyanto <slametri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Michael,

Can you explain how Datatags installation to integrate Dataverse?

Best Regards,
Slamet Riyanto
Scientist
Indonesian Institute of Sciences

Eugene Barsky

Jan 5, 2017, 1:15:27 PM1/5/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Mercè and All:

Here, @UBC, we are also looking for the Datatags developments, as we are planning to expand into the health sciences research data. Especially, connections to REDCap, and dark data storage.

Is there an interest in our community to devote one community call to DataTags specifically?

Eugene

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 06:37:17 UTC-8, Merce wrote:
[...]

Michael Bar-Sinai

Jan 5, 2017, 3:42:52 PM1/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eugene,

I'm happy to hear that DataTags is of immediate interest to the community. As Phil wrote, full Dataverse-DataTags integration is scheduled for Dataverse5, as it would require significant changes to the Dataverse engine. Storing sensitive files might also require updates to the servers, the datacenter, the IT staff, end-user and depositor agreements, site auditing protocols, and so forth.

But DataTags is still useful now*, almost as-is. This is because Dataverse implements some data handling policies which are useful for non-sensitive data (open access, download with license, restricted files). For very restricted datasets, I once heard people register the metadata and upload a dummy file with instructions for getting the real data. So the dataset is at least findable.

It is possible to develop a DataTags questionnaire for the Canadian/BC law, that would help researchers decide what approach they need to take.

Granted, this is not as elegant as full integration, but it's still useful. Plus, creating the interview takes time (mostly legal research) and you'll need it anyway when the integration takes place. I'm happy to help in case you want to start this effort.

-- Michael

* The server needs to be updated to support the updated syntax. This will happen in the next month.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.

Sebastian Karcher

Jan 5, 2017, 3:55:23 PM1/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
> Is there an interest in our community to devote one community call to DataTags specifically?

we, for one, would be very interested in that.
Sebastian

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Eugene Barsky

Jan 5, 2017, 4:10:58 PM1/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, Gutteridge, Kaitlyn, Amber Leahey, Alan Darnell
Michael:

Totally agree. Here is an example of my own dataset, with open metadata and data dictionary for discovery purposes, but the data file itself is restricted - http://hdl.handle.net/11272/10364

DataTags is one development that we are watching very closely here in Vancouver.

Again, we would welcome a webinar/call in this area.

For Canadian context, we might want to team up with
​ ​
Uof
Alberta and Scholars Portal to develop a DataTags questionnaire with you, Michael...Something for us to discuss @Dataverse North...

Thanks,

E.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Michael Bar-Sinai <mich.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Michael Bar-sinai

Jan 8, 2017, 6:35:30 AM1/8/17
to Dataverse Users Community, kaitlyn.g...@ubc.ca, amber....@utoronto.ca, alan.d...@utoronto.ca
By the way, the "definite" information about DataTags lives in two papers:

Sharing Sensitive Data with Confidence: The Datatags System  "vision paper" at Technology Science (explaining what DataTags are and listing typical use-cases). PDF presentation:http://datatags.org/files/datatags/files/tip-tots-datatags.pdf
DataTags, Data Handling Policy Spaces and the Tags Language Technical paper at IEEE's International Workshop on Privacy Engineering  (An implementation of DataTags (the one demonstrated at the Dataverse CM), including discussion about the theoretical aspects of tag spaces, checking for compliance etc). Slides available at the conference site: http://ieee-security.org/TC/SPW2016/IWPE/program.html

-- Michael