Toshiba USB3 PCB swap

Fraser Corrance

Feb 2, 2017, 1:24:13 PM2/2/17
to DataRecoveryCertification
Greetings all!

I have a client that brought me a Toshiba MQ03UBB200 hard drive for data recovery. The drive is reading really slowly so I would like to swap out the USB3 PCB for a SATA PCB so that I can use hardware imaging tools to work with this drive. Does anybody have any info on which PCB would be compatible with this drive???

I figured I could just migrate the ROM chip from one PCB to the other but when I removed the USB3 PCB I noticed that there are 2 Winbond chips on the PCB. One is W25Q80BL and the other is W25X20CL. Which one do I need to move to the SATA PCB or do I need to move both in this case?

I have been doing this with WD drives for a while now and I have lots of info that I have been able to find online about switching out PCBs but I have not found much on the USB3 Toshiba or USB3 Samsung drives.

Any suggestions?

Fraser

ps. Pictures of the hard drive label and the PCB have been attached.
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG

Philip Shaw

Feb 2, 2017, 1:40:53 PM2/2/17
to DataRecoveryCertification
I haven't had to cross-reference one of these but if it is like the WD drives than the 25 chip closest to the USB connector would be for USB and you would only need to change the other chip.

Tim Homer - Desert Data Recovery

Feb 2, 2017, 4:41:30 PM2/2/17
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com

There is no ‘list’ as such for Toshiba USB/SATA compatibility as far as I am aware. You can always search for a SATA board with the same IC and motor controller and that should do. However from my searching not all USB boards have a SATA sister. David from this group posted a topic on HDDGuru a while ago about how to solder a SATA connection to this very drive.

http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33276&p=232240&hilit=MQ01UBB200#p232240

Sunny Monolith Flash

Feb 3, 2017, 1:03:57 AM2/3/17
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
list of Toshiba USB to SATA

Toshiba USB3.0 how to change USB interface to SATA

PS. pay attention on terminal. it can be wrong. i am no sure.

Thanks & Best Regard!
Sunny.
^_^

Monolith flash data recovery solution Monolith flash database
donor drive supplier, provide hard drive, Flash data recovery service all over the world. customs special LGA micro SD, monolith SD,MS,TSOP56, BGA100 adapter for all type of reader. Talk to me immediately!
Monolith pinouts analyzing service
skype: sunnydreamspace

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 5:41 AM, Tim Homer - Desert Data Recovery <t...@desertdatarecovery.com> wrote:

There is no ‘list’ as such for Toshiba USB/SATA compatibility as far as I am aware. You can always search for a SATA board with the same IC and motor controller and that should do. However from my searching not all USB boards have a SATA sister. David from this group posted a topic on HDDGuru a while ago about how to solder a SATA connection to this very drive.

http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33276&p=232240&hilit=MQ01UBB200#p232240

Fraser Corrance

Feb 3, 2017, 1:56:49 PM2/3/17
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
And THAT is what I love about forums like this! Thanks for info Sunny. That looks like a pretty cool forum...makes me wish I could read Chinese or Google translate worked a bit better. ;-}

One other thing that I noticed while researching this drive is that the MQ series of Toshiba drives appear to have SATA counter parts but the part number is a bit different. For example, my client's drive is a MQ03UBB200 and there is SATA drive with model number MQ03ABB200. As I see more of these drives I will have to pay attention to the part numbers on the drives and PCBs and note what works and does not.

Thanks again for the info, Sunny.

Fraser

Fraser Corrance

Feb 3, 2017, 2:04:44 PM2/3/17
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
Sunny,

Do you know which of the Winbond chips needs to be moved from the USB PCB to the SATA PCB?

Fraser

Alandata Recovery

Feb 3, 2017, 3:10:19 PM2/3/17
to datarecoveryce.
U is usb

A is sata

Alandata Data Recovery -  (949)287-3282
"Cleanroom Data Recovery of RAID, VMware, NAS, Linux, Tape, Disk, Forensics"

Sunny Monolith Flash

Feb 3, 2017, 8:26:53 PM2/3/17
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
"Do you know which of the Winbond chips needs to be moved from the USB PCB to the SATA PCB?"
usual it mark IC2 or IC602 on PCB.

Thanks & Best Regard!
Sunny.
^_^