fyi ...EC GIS maps for assembly constituencies

Avinash Celestine

Oct 15, 2014, 10:48:13 PM10/15/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Apologies if this has already come up in the past on this group, but the EC's polling station locator site (psleci.nic.in), now has kml files for ACs for a number of states. the links are in the source of main page (zip files).

however, not all states are there. states such as Tamil Nadu, J&K, Kerala, Nagaland etc are not there. files for majority of states are available.

I have not explored all the files. only maharashtra. it opens fine in something like fusion tables, but in a software like qgis, all the attribute data gets stripped out.

regards
Avinash

Devdatta Tengshe

Oct 15, 2014, 11:43:47 PM10/15/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avinash,
That's a great Find.

The data is in a KML format, but contains some tags which are not parts of the KML Spec. Hence QGis and other Software won't be able to open the Attributes, but they are pretty much there.

I don't have time for a couple of days, nor do I good Internet. So I'll request that someone please download all these files in case they are removed.
I'll try to write a script over the Next week to convert this data to something that we can all use.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

srinivas kodali

Oct 16, 2014, 12:07:45 AM10/16/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Finally we have some geographic data. Thanx very much for sharing this.

But the state borders look slightly offset, both goggle and OSM have borders different from that of the kml. Atleast this is the case for Andhra Pradesh.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

srinivas kodali

Oct 16, 2014, 12:29:03 AM10/16/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded the data and gmail wont let me upload it,strange. And here is disclaimer on the site

Disclaimer : You may not use this website or the information on it for commercial purposes. You may not copy or distribute any information that you get from this website.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

Devdatta Tengshe

Nov 24, 2014, 5:14:52 AM11/24/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I've converted the KML files available on this site to Shapefiles.

This was done using a software called FME, which I can access at work.

I'm not sure that all the polygons are correct(Some appear to be shifted from known boundries), so please check the data before using it.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe​

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Srini Vasudevan <vsrini...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Devdatta,

Hope you are doing well.

Did you have any luck converting the ECI kml files to shapefiles? I tried a bunch of things but have had no success. I am not a coder unfortunately.

Cheers
Srini

Srini

Anand Chitipothu

Nov 24, 2014, 6:12:05 AM11/24/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Avinash for sharing this and thanks Devdatta for converting them to shape files.

Some states are not listed there, but KML file are available.

Devdatta, would you mind converting these as well?

Thanks,
Anand

Devdatta Tengshe

Nov 24, 2014, 7:00:25 AM11/24/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I have converted the AC for the 3 states sent by Anand. Now only 2
states: Assam and Nagaland are pending.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe

On 11/24/14, Anand Chitipothu <anand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Avinash for sharing this and thanks Devdatta for converting them to
> shape files.
>
> Some states are not listed there, but KML file are available.
>
> http://psleci.nic.in/kml/KERALA-AC.zip
> http://psleci.nic.in/kml/TAMILNADU-AC.zip
> http://psleci.nic.in/kml/JAMMUKASHMIR-AC.zip
>
> Devdatta, would you mind converting these as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Devdatta Tengshe <devd...@tengshe.in>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I've converted the KML files available on this site to Shapefiles.
>>
>> This was done using a software called FME, which I can access at work.
>>
>> I'm not sure that all the polygons are correct(Some appear to be shifted
>> from known boundries), so please check the data before using it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Devdatta Tengshe​
>> AC.zip
>> <https://docs.google.com/a/tengshe.in/file/d/0B8g7u8-ZBLQNZ2ZuRXNreTVuUW8/edit?usp=drive_web>
AC_2.zip

Anand Chitipothu

Nov 24, 2014, 7:08:20 AM11/24/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Devdatta Tengshe <devd...@tengshe.in> wrote:
Hi All,

I have converted the AC for the 3 states sent by Anand. Now only 2
states: Assam and Nagaland are pending.

Devdatta Tengshe

Nov 24, 2014, 7:18:15 AM11/24/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Here the converted files for Assam & Nagaland.

Looking at the data,i.e. the Status Field, I can see that for the states of J&K, Jhakhand, Assam, Manipur, Nagaland & Arunachal Pradesh, they have given pre delimitation boundaries. ( I don't have the pre-delimitation boundaries right now to check). So use these files with caution. I'll try to push all the data to the datameet repository soon.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe

--
AS_3.zip