reusable chart tutorial screencast

Ian Johnson

Nov 17, 2012, 10:59:36 PM11/17/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
hey all,

I recorded a quick screencast explaining the reusable chart pattern:

resulting example:

Hopefully this helps some people get into it, as we need the help to remake nvd3!

I'll probably do a second one explaining how to take advantage of the enter/update/exit pattern within a reusable chart.

--
Ian Johnson

Chris Viau

Nov 18, 2012, 12:17:47 AM11/18/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! That's very useful.

Makoto Inoue

Nov 18, 2012, 5:45:55 AM11/18/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ian.

I just watched and it was really easy to follow. Well done for the great work, again!!

One suggestion for next screencast. Can you make the code fonts bigger? It was hard to recognise the characters even in full screen mode.

Oh, and if you are looking for next screencast material, I would like to request the force layout (Mike's "Use the Force!" talk is excellent to understand the full potential of using the force, but would be nice to have very basic tutorial, too).

Cheers.

Makoto

kdoore

Nov 18, 2012, 12:35:18 PM11/18/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Ian, your videos are awesome..I'm not sure how I missed them in my google searches for d3 tutorials.  thanks so much!  (I'd probably appreciate them even more without the music background, it makes it harder to hear what you're saying, but the videos are amazing, and I will absolutely start using tributary after seeing how you use it!)  thanks! Karen

John

Nov 19, 2012, 1:14:49 PM11/19/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this... Yes!  +1 for making a second video for enter/update/exit. (...and more!)
Thanks Ian, keep em coming!

Ian Johnson

Nov 19, 2012, 1:24:14 PM11/19/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
glad you guys like it :)
Makato, I'll do a force one at some point in the not too distant future :)
I'll try to make the fonts bigger for videos from now on.
Karen, for recent videos i can export a copy without the music. I may upload copies like this to youtube for those who don't like the style, but it's definitely integral in how i make them (keeps me going at a good pace)