Implement SIMILE/Timeline in D3?

Danny

Mar 26, 2012, 9:45:28 AM3/26/12
to d3-js
Hi,

A few years ago the MIT Simile project implemented "Timeline" (http://
www.simile-widgets.org/timeline/) for displaying events in a scrolling
timeline. (Very cool!)

We were looking at that for displaying time series images, but the
Simile code has the worst possible documentation and hasn't been
supported for several years.

Seems this kind of thing would be very well suited to D3. I wonder if
anyone has thought about implementing something like Simile/Timeline
in D3?

Danny

mawksey

Mar 27, 2012, 9:56:33 AM3/27/12
to d3-js
Not d3.js but came across this nice timeline library http://timeline.verite.co
(renders in html)

It's open source and can render from json or a Google Spreadsheet

Martin

On Mar 26, 1:45 pm, Danny <dwil...@pixelmetrix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few years ago the MIT Simile project implemented "Timeline" (http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeline/) for displaying events in a scrolling

Danny

Mar 29, 2012, 10:41:12 AM3/29/12
to d3-js
Thanks Martin,

It looks good and seems more stable than the MIT one but it is too
simple. Our project is for summarizing video clips. Want to take
sample images out of a video clip and show them on a "timeline".

Back in November there was a discussion on "what's the next feature
you want for D3". Quite a few voted for Timeline. Not sure if Mike
or anyone else is considering to add that to the core... Would be
nice :-)

Danny

Greg Weber

Mar 30, 2012, 10:10:49 AM3/30/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
for video timelines check out http://mozillapopcorn.org/
They are about to make a new release of butter.js, which is probably what you would be interested in.

I am working on a similar project. Perhaps we can keep collaborating.

Mr. Puneet Kishor

Mar 30, 2012, 10:38:05 AM3/30/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Check out the swimlanes example by bunkat http://bl.ocks.org/1962173

Seems like that would be a good start for a d3 timeline. I would use it.

Riyanat

May 9, 2012, 11:42:22 AM5/9/12
to d3-js
@Puneet Kishor

Thanks for the pointer to the example by bunkat

On Mar 30, 3:38 pm, "Mr. Puneet Kishor" <punk.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out the swimlanes example by bunkathttp://bl.ocks.org/1962173
>
> Seems like that would be a good start for a d3 timeline. I would use it.
>
> On Mar 30, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Greg Weber wrote:
>

> > for video timelines check outhttp://mozillapopcorn.org/

Elijah Meeks

May 9, 2012, 1:19:19 PM5/9/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Punkish, I was looking for something just like that.

Reinhard Engel

May 27, 2013, 1:59:51 PM5/27/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com

Adam Chappell

May 29, 2013, 6:48:34 AM5/29/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently working on a component that does exactly this, will post the source later once i've uploaded it :)

Adam Chappell

May 31, 2013, 2:30:44 PM5/31/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com