4 Questions to Ask Before Joining a Church - Missio Alliance

3 прегледа
Пређи на прву непрочитану поруку

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
21. 8. 2017. 11:08:2121.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com

Visited three churches in LA/San Diego last weekend, asked most of these questions and their sub-questions (and two more about their emphasis on the New Creation and Body life).

Which questions would you ask?

http://www.missioalliance.org/4-questions-to-ask-before-joining-a-church/

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

непрочитано,
25. 8. 2017. 17:29:5825.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
HI Bill,
Another great find.  Great questions:

If I had only four questions to ask, I would prefer to consider issues along these ideas:

Is the church making disciples in the ways of Jesus?

Is the church asking what the gospel of Jesus (not about Jesus) has to say about all aspects of life? What does the gospel of Jesus have to say about our relationships? Our families? Vocation? Finances? Racial reconciliation? Poverty? Hospitality? Sexuality? Are people in the church actually becoming more like Jesus? Are people learning how to combat the idols of our day? Are they learning to live for the sake of others?

Is the church activating all of the people of God to engage in mission and ministry?

Is the church helping people identify their gifts? Not just to serve in the church, but to engage in God’s mission. Are they being equipped to discovery how God is working in their neighborhood and through their vocation? Are people learning to discern how best to participate in what God is doing? Does the church equip and release people to start new ministries, missional communities and churches? Does the leadership of the church model missionary engagement? Does the church take responsibility for the last, the least and the lost in their community?

Is the church challenging people to feed themselves?

Is the church providing encouragement and resources to help people read, study and reflect on the word? Are there daily opportunities for people to be in the word individually, but more importantly in community? Are people encouraged to read and listen to other resources to equip them to become more like Jesus?

Is there an expression of the church in close proximity to my home?

Is the primary gathering of the church located in, or near my neighborhood? If not, is there an expression of community close enough for me to walk; one that is not disconnected from the rhythms of where I live and work? Is there a small group or missional community in my neighborhood where I can experience community with others in close proximity? A community where the word is not only studied, but where people are able to reflect communally on local missional engagement?

Final thought: I am convinced that until we fully grapple with, and understand the post-Christendom shift, as well as rethink the missionary nature of the church, we will be incapable of making the changes necessary in the way we think and act as the body of Christ.

Roy Tinklenberg

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 01:50:3129.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the four Missio Dei questions are great questions.

As a church planter trying to create a "new parish" church for a part of our community that doesn't have a church, I especially appreciate the call to ask whether the church is within walking distance. One of the worse side effects of the megachurch movement is that churches became regional centers to commute to instead of local churches that are in proximity to the places where our routines and rhythms of life naturally occur. Thus there is no community participation that integrates church life and neighborhood life.

However, I also like the Gospel Coalition four questions because they emphasize the importance of God's Word, soul care, accountability and the laity expressing their spiritual gifts. All good things to emphasize!

1. Is this a church where my family will be regularly fed by God’s Word?

This is the first question that needs to be asked. Not just are they faithful to the Word of God, but will this church preach and teach in such a way that my soul and the souls of my family will be nourished? In other words, are they preaching expositionally through books of the Bible as the regular, steady diet of the congregation? This approach does not automatically answer this question, but it is a great place to start and evaluate.

2. Is this a church where I am convinced the care of my soul will be a priority?

Does this church have real pastors/elders who see their primary task to be the spiritual care and oversight of the souls of the members? In other words, just because they have powerful, biblical preaching does not mean your individual soul will be tended to on a regular basis. Ask the pastors. Ask other church members. It will not take much investigation on whether this work is a priority of the leadership of the church.

3. Is this a church where my family will experience meaningful Christian fellowship and accountability?

To know this, it will require a bit of a commitment to one church for a time to build relationships, attend some church fellowship events, and get to know some of the pastors and leadership. Yet you must have a realistic expectation as you are not yet a member, so do not expect to be treated as one.

4. Is this a church where I can serve God’s people and use my gifts for its benefit?

It will help to know where you are gifted and what some of the needs of the church are. Some needs can be filled by your simple presence and commitment. Also, do not assume you know what those areas of need are by your limited observations.

You should be able to know the answers to these questions within a few months of attending one church if you give yourself to the process. If you can answer in the affirmative to all four of these questions, it is a good possibility you have found your next church. At that point I would encourage you not to delay but to pursue membership.

Important Final Note

One final element is the key to persevering with the zeal required in this search. You and your family should feel a sense of persistent unease knowing that you are not in covenant fellowship with a local church and are not under the authority of undershepherds caring for your souls. The freedom and absence of accountability many experience in the search for a new church can cause a sinful complacency.

In other words, you do not ever want to become comfortable being one of God’s sheep who has wandered away from the fellowship of the flock and the accountability of shepherds to care for you, even if that journey at the time feels fun and exciting.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail, and permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 01:55:4929.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, we now have 8 excellent questions!

Pray for many Bay Area churches that provide strong, sincere, deep, ever transforming answers.

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 01:58:1929.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Can't resist one niggle: Where in Scripture do we see the (Catholic?) pejorative, "laity"?

0 Bible results for “laity.”

You know me ;)

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Roy Tinklenberg <roy....@gmail.com> wrote:

Roy Tinklenberg

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 02:30:1629.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Okay, let's be Lutherans and use the more Biblical "priesthood of all believers" to apply to the group that was previously classified as laity.

"In fact, we are all consecrated priests through Baptism, as St. Peter in 1 Peter 2 says, "You are a royal priesthood and a priestly kingdom," and Revelation, "Through your blood you have made us into priests and kings." - Martin Luther

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail, and permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 03:07:2129.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
As always, the Comments help us continue the conversation:

Should not question number 1 be: Does this Church teach and support the full deposit of faith (or just a relativized piece of it that is individualized for the pleasures of the church leaders)? If the answer is "No", we do not offer His real presence in the sacrifice of His body and blood -RUN!!!

Question 2: Does this church profess cessationism (that God no longer acts through signs, wonders and miracles)? If the listener laughs, scoffs or states God does not act nowadays through signs, wonders and miracles -RUN!!! (After all, is not salvation a sign, wonder and/or miracle?)
Perhaps God did not put you in the church you are in in order to receive the love of others, but to love others as Jesus loves you.

---

Question 5: Is this a church where the leadership and active attendees passionately worships the LIVING God?

---

Isn't there a missing question ? (Number 1) "Which church is my Lord guiding me to join?" The answer to this question may be a place where none of the other 4 questions are affirmed, but it might be a place where God is calling me and my family to serve Him by uplifting others and being part of the creation or restoration of those 4 values.
Thoughts anyone ?

That is the situation I am in by default. I joined what I thought was a strong church but now we have a new pastor (our previous one retired after 20 years. there were no problems he just was ready to slow down and move back home to care for an aging mother). Our new pastor is watering down our church and only wants to preach on emotional issues. Our leadership has shown themselves to be very weak and gullible.

I thought about leaving but since we are teachers there if Sunday school and midweek Bible studies, I realized we have an opportunity to really help people grow in their knowledge and understanding of God's Word. These people may not get this anywhere else and so I can do more work here than going to a church where this need is already being met.

It is also a good opportunity for me to learn love and patience and humility and trust that the Holy Spirit changes the hearts of men.

So, I agree, in very rare instances this could be true.

---

This is good, but fails in one very important area:
5) Are the pastors and elders ("shepherds") servants or masters?
Do they "lord it over the flock?"
Are they prone to controlling, authoritarian, bullying treatment of "the sheep" in their care?
Are they shame-based or grace-based in their ministry?
Are people afraid to be transparent and honest for fear they will be put through emotional, verbal, spiritual abuse by those "overshepherds"?
Do they consider themselves better than the churches around them where the Word of God is also preached? (Are they holding to a spiritual arrogance?)

Yes, all of these questions are ONE question: Is it an abusive church?
I was in one for 16 years. I could say "YES" to all the four questions in this article. But when it came time for our eyes to be opened, and seek outside counsel, Godly men said, "FLEE." We did, and we and our family flourished in a more healthy church.

Others have also fled, and found refuge serving God wholeheartedly in "normal" churches - healthy, humble churches.

Beware of the excesses of the shepherding movement. I hear rumors of its resurgence, and wonder if history will repeat itself. Remember the lessons of the first time! Derek Prince, Bob Mumford, others. They ended up wounding and damaging the Church in mighty ways, then, seeing the damage, finally repented. Let those who read this be warned.

---

Very important things here. As a husband and a father, I need to prioritize my family's spiritual growth and health, and ensure that they are getting solid expositional teaching from the bible and are being cared for.

That being said, I think something might be missing from this article. Maybe something along the lines of: "is this church committed to obeying the great commandment and reaching the lost?" A church needs to be pouring tons of resources into discipleship (making disciples who make disciples), mission, church planting, and engaging with non-Christians.

If a church had all of the above "inward" aspects totally down, but was failing to be salt and light in the world, I probably wouldn't join that church with my family.

Just a few thoughts :) I know the article wasn't meant to be exhaustive, so unappreciated what has been written.

---

These are four great things but they seem to be internally focused, shouldn't the church be on a mission, living out the full scope of the great commandment and being the witnesses Christ talked about right before leaving the earth. Too many churches function more as holy huddles than hospitals for sinners. We must be careful not to be so internal we lose site of our neighbors who are on a path to a Christ-less eternity.

---

How about ...where does God want me? These are consumer questions. Converts ask but not disciples

Amen, my bro. How about "Where can I serve?" "Where can I give to the ministry?"

---

Some commenters seem to forget that this list of questions is not meant to be exhaustive. And the editors of this blog may want to read this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/...

---

Sounds pretty selfish to me. What's in this church for ME??

"The distinction between self-interest and selfishness seems to be so blurred in current public discourse that self-interest nearly means selfishness." More thoughts from C. S. Lewis in this article written by someone else: http://www.transform-world....

We do need to consider, first of all, the edification value of any fellowship for ourselves and our family, since this is our immediate sphere of responsibility for which God holds us accountable.

But this article does not stop there. It also addresses fellowship with others, personal responsibility toward others, accountability to others, and service to God and others. If each of these areas are approached faithfully and fully, they seem fairly comprehensive to me.

What else would you add that this abbreviated summary doesn't include?

And

"What else would you add that this abbreviated summary doesn't include?" The Great Commission, Rick....the author certainly doesn't qualify this as an abbreviated summary...and why should an abbreviated summary not include the reason Jesus came to earth--To provide for redemption and to initiate a disciple-making community?

And

Bradley, I took these comments by the author (mentioned in the first paragraph related to the first question about teaching and preaching the word faithfully) as a clue that neither his ideas nor his article were exhaustive:

"This approach does not automatically answer this question, but it is a great place to start and evaluate."

If anyone mistook this article as the 'final word' on joining a church, or thought that the Great Commission should be neglected, I suppose your remarks and those of a few others have made it abundantly clear that sharing the gospel and making disciples should not be neglected. Thank you (and the others) for pointing this out (repeatedly). Now . . . go practice what you preach (just as the rest of us should do). =o)

---

Interesting how the Church's #1 priority is missing. Oh, that's right, it's all about us!

---

Amazing - all pretty much man-centered. How about 1 Cor. 12:18 - God places the members in the body where He desires! How about this question: "Where do I sense the Holy Spirit is telling me to join myself?"

I agree that the Holy Spirit should be our guide. His influence rests heavily on the humble seekers of Christ. I like the focus that these questions place on family. The family is ordained of God and there is nothing that God loves seeing more than families joining together eternally to learn to be like him. In a morally darkening society, our desire to find a safe place to raise our families spiritually coincides most perfectly with what God desires. With these desires and motives, the Holy Spirit will draw us closer to our Father.

---

Helfpul benchmarks thanks. Having been at a church for some years (under the Lord's providence I know) which boasted "great preaching" but had practically non-existent individual care of the soul (by this I mean pastoral care, discipling, accountability) and it was SO hard. Hence I appreciate the caveat that not all churches boasting the best preaching (which might initially attract us or cause us to 'assume' this is the case) will automatically practice individual care of the soul etc. very well and that it's an important question to ask...(we should be "one anothering" after all right?!)

I think saying it's "me centric" risks misunderstanding the author, who's used the personal pronoun questions to ask or ascertain whether this church is a community that preaches and practices Christ, for example "will I be fed?" Is simply "do THEY feed their sheep", "will I get pastoral care/accountability?", "Do THEY care for their members through all of life (not just Sunday as a preaching centre), Do members practice accountability (challenge sin in one another in order to grow in godliness)

These are biblical not egocentric questions as I see it, but of course the list is not exhaustive... I for one eagerly look forward to belonging to the Church spoken of in Revelation, the truly "perfect" church...

---

How about starting with the great command - Does this church love God? And does that show by having a passion for reaching people with the gospel? A passion or lack of passion will reveal much about the God/god they worship.

---

These 4 are certainly important, but a little surprised to see mission (great commission) missing from this list :-(. We cannot just assume that a local congregation is "doing the Word". And it is often hard to tell without doing some asking/experiencing.

---

T H I S :

I appreciate these questions but what is missing is notable. What about, "Does this Christian community resemble the Kingdom of God? Is there a foretaste here of God's Kingdom, in which diverse people from all nations will be gathered around the throne of God?" The fact that we evangelicals do not frequently ask that question may be one reason why our churches are so culturally homogenous.

---

"To know this, it will require a bit of a commitment to one church for a time to build relationships, attend some church fellowship events, and get to know some of the pastors and leadership. Yet you must have a realistic expectation as you are not yet a member, so do not expect to be treated as one."

Don't expect to be treated as a club member til you sign the dotted line and start paying your dues to the man. These are the rules for playing the game of Churchianity. Such a great counterfeit whore of what Jesus died for. In the real kingdom of God (as opposed to the delusional fake religious kingdoms this article talks about) the saints in a local area ARE THE CHURCH. There is no baptist, methodist, etc 'church' in the bible. These are man made counterfeit kingdoms. We are all brothers and sisters on equal ground and are to be treated as such. If you are born again you ARE A MEMBER of the one true church. Flee from your slightly reformed roman catholic religious delusions dear believers. Leaders who have their personal kingdoms, allow people to call them 'Pastor Bob', have their names on buildings, etc will have a hard time accepting these truths as their lively hood depends on them not accepting them.

More at https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/what-questions-should-i-ask-before-joining-a-local-church

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Roy Tinklenberg <roy....@gmail.com> wrote:

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 10:16:3929.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Great discussion, as always. I am still surprised by how easily we fall into “either-or” thinking: EITHER we are being fed, OR we are being called to serve others.

The debate seems to miss the point. The Biblical view — backed by modern science! — is that the happiest or “flourishing” life is one where we are continually nurturing our ability to fulfill our purpose and serve others. From this perspective, passive nourishment is itself a form of abuse…

— Ernie P.

Greg Holsclaw

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 10:39:2329.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
I have always been less concerned with the 'label' and more with actual behavior. If leaders stop calling the church members laity, switch to the priesthood, or ekklesia, and tack on the Vineyard 'everyone gets to play' moniker, but nothing changes the platform to pew dynamic (or home church leader to others dynamic, yes I have seen house churches exhibit the exact same behaviors), then we haven't accomplished as much as we feel we have.

That said, language is important as words carry the ideal, but our Lord ask for much, much more. Just look at Peter, he was poor with words, but the Pharisees knew he carried an authority they couldn't contend with.

Greg

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 11:47:3829.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Good point, Greg.
The key is not the term, the key is the concept - there is not to be any more a division in the Body. That's a holdover from the Jewish temple system. If we are now the new living temple, and Christ dwells within us - what a tremendously different concept !

Also, we should not think being on "the platform" means anything special - the whole world is watching us every day of the week. How we interact with people "inside" and "outside" - that's essential.

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 12:01:2129.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
I would also argue that the ekklesia is God's "platform".

On Aug 29, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Greg Holsclaw <greg.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 13:25:1329.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
We also need to be careful about the behavior of dividing the ekklesia into "leaders" versus "church members".  But I'll guess I'll settle for "church member" over "sheep", until we make further progress on that perceived division ;)

As a helpful contrast, I don't think I've ever been part of a business where I was viewed merely as a "member" - all employees were expected to make strong contributions, all co-laboring.

Viewing church as a family, member works. But I think "brothers and sisters in the Lord" works better.

Roy Tinklenberg

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 14:01:5429.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Brothers and sisters in the Lord is great.

And even members is acceptable as long as we remember that we are "one body with many members" and that all the members of the body are valuable and interdependent parts that are called to work together for edification of the whole.  (1 Cor 12:12,27 - ESV, KJV, NASB, Holman and other translations use the word members while NIV, NLT, etc. use the word parts). And even though there are distinctions between these members so that some are apostles, prophets, teachers, etc. and others are not, both are still equal in the body of Christ.

As Greg said, the label is less important than the way the body functions. And even in the Vineyard "everyone gets to play" kind of ecclesiology there are still roles of leadership that some have and others don't. The Bible is filled with leaders and leadership. We can't swing the pendulum so far towards the shared responsibility of leadership that we lose sight of the individual responsibilities of leaders who have been called by the church into leadership.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail, and permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 16:34:3129.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
The Bay Area continues to innovate in amazing ways.

Ernie has talked about the model we see in the distributed software community, github. The model is "shared power", in that everyone has the same access to all the same resources. Ernie can elaborate more on what looks useful for churches, but one highlight is it is all about "behavior", there aren't too many labels.

Here's another:
The New Century Chamber Orchestra was founded in 1992 by cellist, Miriam Perkoff, and violist, Wieslaw Pogorzelski. The goal of the founders was to present classical music in a fresh and unique way in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Musical decisions are made collaboratively, in the hope of enhancing the level of commitment on the part of the musicians and increasing the precision, passion and power of their playing.

I really enjoy their performances! The focus is on the individual musicians, not "the person on the platform waving their arms". I imagine how different the rehearsals are, with a lot of give and take.

Through history, societies tried Kings, Judges, Priests  ... the evolution is continuing, we shall see.

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 19:06:2129.8.17.
– D-Church
So, the conductorless orchestra is not a purely Bay Area innovation. Orchestras originally started without conductors. The first recent one was 1920 Russia. Then about 1-2 per decade. until New Century in San Francisco popularized it - since then, it's been snowballing, with NINE new ones this 'new century'!
First a trickle, then a D-River...

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 19:40:5229.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
What this might look like in the church. Similar 'somethings wrong' experience as Francis Chan, but Gibbons stayed and transformed his church:

Traveling with a team of heavily resourced CEOs and entrepreneurs, Dave Gibbons arrives in September 2005 with high kingdom aspirations.

Following a large outreach service with unprecedented numbers of people coming, a few of the core Thai people come to Gibbons, slightly dejected.

“What’s wrong?” Gibbons asks.

“Thailand isn’t Newsong,” one of them says.

“What do you mean?’’

“We were always in little circles before and everyone got to talk.
  Here, we were watching just a few people do it.”

The voice comes again clear as a bell: Listen, observe and learn.

Gibbons winds up spending a year in Thailand and begins to experience transitional insights.

When you don’t drive around in a car, you see faces and hear laughter as you walk.

When you aren’t calculating by numbers, loving relationship defines success.

When you see the brokenness of humanity, you recognize the value and beauty of hope only suffering can birth.

Even in a bustling city of 12 million, Gibbons slows down. The centrality of relationship returns in clarity.

* * * * *

Gibbons confesses to a love of chaos, the random multiple inputs and domains and possibilities of synthesis. Chaos is the place for him where pastor and businessman most fully congeal.

When he returns to Newsong in 2006, he apologizes to a congregation of 3,000 people. “I think I have helped build a church that is not after God’s own heart.”

In a short period of time, Gibbons makes several oxymoronic 180-degree shifts:

Small is big.

It’s not about preaching to people; it’s about loving them.

Pain fuels.

Reach the fringes for the maximum impact.

“Neighbor” is someone who doesn’t look like you.

Pragmatic reversals follow as well. A 70/30 split of resources flips from programs, events and buildings to greater investment in human development.

Focus switches from a Plexiglas pulpit to life in a messy community.

Growth strategy moves from the machinery involved in growing bigger to equipping personal destiny.

“Instead of a pastor setting a vision that leads to church growth,” Gibbons says, “leadership must discover the vision of the people and help each one reach the destiny God is calling them to.

* * * * *

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 19:51:5629.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Key quotes from Dave's recent talk:

“At the end of the day, I saw that we weren’t addressing the approach that Jesus did. He did the big crowds, but it seems like most of his life was given to the conversation, where there were these one-on-ones and these small groups, and in particular, it was his three and 12… So I said what would it look like if we actually re-allocated our resources from just focusing primarily on the community to actually focusing on the core?”

“The millennials are hungering for leadership that’s actually fully present. So it’s not only that you’re authentic, but I think where we show the transcendent nature and power and beauty of God is when we can be fully present with someone and see them and know them and love them without any condition. And I think God is leading us to that dance.”

Bill's comments:

1. Amen amen amen to the rich interaction found in 1-1s and small groups

2. Not just "millennials" hunger for authenticity, presence

3. Being fully present should be how EVERYONE relates to others.  (Sigh - endless, endless fixation on 'leaders')

Roy Tinklenberg

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 19:55:3529.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if I understand what the orchestra illustration is suggesting...

Are you suggesting that the new church should be a leaderless church? I'm not sure that I see that as the Biblical vision of the church. Instead I think it should be a leader-full church.

Again, I don't think that we are forced to choose one or the other. The fact that there are now nine amazing orchestras without conductors does not negate the fact that there are other amazing orchestras that have conductors. All kinds of different models for making good music are welcome. Likewise, all kinds of different models for making good ministries ought to be welcome.

If I can switch analogies, let's go back to the Francis Chan critique of his former mega church and the response to the straw man that he created.

Francis' straw man is that the church was like a gym where only one person exercised and everyone else watched him exercise. Steve Cuss' response was the knock that straw man down using Francis' prior descriptions of the church where the leaders were like physical trainers who were training the people in the gym. Starting with the elders exercising radical spiritual commitments and then inviting others in their circles to live radical Christian lives like the ones that they were learning to live.

Certainly a gym where only one person exercises is not a gym. It is a fitness show or a fitness training seminar. That might have some benefit if people take their fitness DVD home and do the exercises there. But if no one exercises but the instructor, that's not going to get anyone fit except the instructor. And that would be a fitness failure.

But a gym where everyone exercises and some leaders serve as physical trainers to help us exercise more, more effectively, more efficiently, etc. to arrive at fitness goals and personal records is probably going to be an effective model of producing fitness -- maybe even more effective than just giving everyone access to fitness equipment without having trainers. And having been trained, we can now become peer-to-peer trainers who help each other so that we are not all dependent on having time with the personal trainer.

Isn't that the picture that we get from 1 Timothy 4:6? "If you [Timothy] point these things out the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, nourished by the words of the faith and the good teaching that you have followed [from Scripture, teaching from his grandmother, mother, Paul, Silas, the Apostles and others who have mentored him]."

Paul then goes on and calls Timothy to exercise his God-given calling to leadership -- even though he is younger than some of the people that he is called to lead -- "Command and teach these things. Let no one despise your youth; instead you should be an example to the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, give your attention to the public reading of scripture, exhortation, and teaching. Do not neglect the gift that is in you; it was given to you through prophecy, with the laying on of hands by the council of elders."

In his next letter, Paul exhorts Timothy to take what Paul taught him and use it disciple other teachers "and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also."

Therefore the my vision is for the future church is not a teacher-less church but a teacher-full movement of churches and discipleship communities. A church that comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes to reach all kinds of people.

Now back to the orchestra analogy. There are 9 orchestras without conductors that are making beautiful music. Great! Add them to the many orchestras with conductors that are also making beautiful music.

The goal is not less conductors (less apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers) but more beautiful music. More music being played by more musicians - many of whom will start out by being trained by conductors and music instructors.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail, and permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

Roy Tinklenberg

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 20:03:1929.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I like what Dave Gibbons is doing. And what Francis Chan is doing (minus the caricatures of the old church).

This is Ephesians 4 stuff - apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers - equipping the saints (maybe that's the word we should be using instead of laity) in the work of ministry to build up the body of Christ, until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of God's own son....

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail, and permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 20:39:4829.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
It was only one per decade, and now is increasing. Silicon Valley should feel comfortable with early parts of a trend.

We used to have centralized mainframes. The head of IBM famously said only a dozen or so computers would be needed in the world. Now billions carry computers way more powerful than those 1950 behemoths in their pockets or in their wrist.

So those early orchestras, like many local parish churches, were funded (and beholden) to royalty or landed gentry. Should we have kept it that way? No, mercifully both evolved past the patronage model. And some of that was because tech enabled new ways to operate. The Academy of St Martin's in the Fields, the most famous conductorless chamber orchestra, is also one of the most recorded, with over 500 records and CDs. Their impact went from a small local audience, to global impact via technology.

Thanks for another the look at Francis's case. I'll go back and read both articles again. It's a little confusing because one is a reaction to the other :)

I know the fivefold ministry model is very popular now  -  but would one go so far as to say it is a rigid and compete model, if some church does not follow that model, it is not a church?

By "now", I mean the recent 180 years ;)

Per Wikipedia, it's "the teaching of Edward Irving and advent of the Catholic Apostolic Church in 1832 that marks the earliest known movement of what is commonly labeled as fivefold ministry. This trend [there we go - trends happen!] picked up steam in 1948 with the Latter Rain Movement ...then figures such as C. Peter Wagner

I have to agree with Greg on this one, a certain collection of labels/titles/honorifics don't make a church. And before we talk about what leaders might need to do, I'm starting with looking very simply how a Body of believers relates to one another.

We do know that the most creative (and fit) soccer players in the world come from the mean streets of Brazil, or other economically depressed areas. Young soccer players in the US are definitely over-coached.

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 20:42:0329.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
This radical goal:
"Musical decisions are made collaboratively, in the hope of enhancing the level of commitment on the part of the musicians and increasing the precision, passion and power of their playing."

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 20:48:4129.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Great conversations!  I think the key word to keep in mind is "trade offs."  Every model has se Biblical precedent, and every model solves certain problems better than others. We don't need to idolize or demonize other models to promote ours.

We definitely want to encourage people to experiment with different models, to see how far we can push things like decentralization. However, the key attitude is "experiment."  We should invite skeptics to help us identify possible failure modes, and be diligent to publish both negative and positive outcomes. Otherwise, we can very easily fall into the trap of cherry-picking only the data (and Scripture!) that fits our biases. :-(

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 21:12:0729.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ernie,

I would not go so far as to say any of us are demonizing, or promoting our favorite. It is a discussion, exploring how to make things better. I would only be worried if people want to say no change is needed, things are ideal the way the "standard model" is typically done.

Re-reading the article, at Facebook, when Chan was "promoting his favorite" new model ;), he made this claim:
Chan explained. "And everyone's growing and everyone's having to read this book (Bible) for themselves and people actually caring for one another. I don't even preach. They just meet in their homes, they study, they pray, they care for one another.

But I've watched many of his recent We Are Church preaching on YouTube, which he does once a month. My question is, would those house churches keep going if he did stop the regular preaching? The rest of the time, he travels a ton and preaches a many many conferences.

Bill Breck

непрочитано,
29. 8. 2017. 21:30:1229.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
So this is just my preference, for D-church:
1. Discuss new ideas, which could include a new mix bits and pieces of already existing models.
2. A strong preference for "new". I'm not here to hear about things I've known for a long time, like fivefold ministry or "liberating the laity".

I admit that this is a crazy group, trying to explore "new" church models. But that's a common mentality in Silicon Valley - take an old thing, and even though it looks so entrenched and we look so small and naive, propose, discuss, iterate, and sometimes amazingly disruptive things emerge.

Matthew Tiscareno

непрочитано,
30. 8. 2017. 12:19:3730.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
There is plentiful witness in the New Testament that appointed overseers are an essential aspect of the Church.  This is not a recent theological trend, though various ways of articulating it may be.

I am generally quite reluctant to say that any professing Christian is not actually a Christian.  However, a leaderless church would be rejecting an important aspect of Biblical teaching, which I would consider a grave matter.

It is worth noting that anti-authoritarianism is a potent cultural trend these days.  Please consider that submitting yourself to another’s authority (and ultimately to God) may be the radically counter-cultural thing to do.

Best, -Matt

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

непрочитано,
30. 8. 2017. 20:36:5530.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
I am glad people are honest about their strong feelings, but I suspect a public list isn't the best forum for resolving intense differences. Let me circle up with Matt and Bill offline to make sure we are accurately hearing each other's hearts.

Sent from my iPhone

Matthew Tiscareno

непрочитано,
30. 8. 2017. 23:17:4130.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Re-reading my words, I can see how they can easily be taken to mean the opposite of what I intended.  Please allow me to clarify:

I am generally quite reluctant to say that any professing Christian is not actually a Christian, AND THIS CASE IS NO EXCEPTION.  I HAVE NO DESIRE OR INTENTION TO QUESTION ANYONE’S FAITH OVER THIS MATTER.
However, a leaderless church would be rejecting an important aspect of Biblical teaching, which I would consider a grave matter, BUT NOT ONE THAT WOULD BE THE CAUSE OF BROKEN FELLOWSHIP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

I apologize for my lack of clarity.  Best, -Matt

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

непрочитано,
31. 8. 2017. 13:19:4431.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I appreciate the clarification, but I really think it would be helpful to talk directly (or even in person). I'm still not sure you understand how you are coming across, and for all our sakes I want to make sure our actions better align with our intentions.

When you would you be open to a phone call, or even lunch or coffee near your office?

Love,
Ernie

Sent from my iPhone

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

непрочитано,
31. 8. 2017. 15:26:3031.8.17.
– d-ch...@googlegroups.com
My deepest apologies for my last email to Matt apparently going to the entire Group (Google does not let me see that, grr).

My whole point was that  sensitive issues need to be discussed privately rather than publicly, and I feel like an idiot for accidentally violating the very point I wanted to make.  :-(

Please ignore my email; and I do promise to post a high-level summary back to the group once we are all back on the same page.

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 30, 2017, at 20:16, Matthew Tiscareno <matthewt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Одговори свима
Одговори аутору