NRNB Google Summer of Code 2014 - Calling All Mentors

Alexander Pico

Feb 4, 2014, 5:56:27 PM2/4/14
to Cytoscape-Discuss, wikipathways-discuss
It's that time of year again…  The National Resource for Network Biology (NRNB) is submitting an application today to participate as a mentoring organization in Google Summer of Code (GSoC). This will be our 8th year participating as a community of developers! It's the 10-year anniversary of the GSoC program overall and they are planning a big summer with MORE students, LARGER stipends, MORE swag and summit FOR ALL former students and mentors hosted at the Googleplex in Moutain View, CA.

Potential Mentors:
 1. Please contact me to add your name to the list of potential mentors this summer. Even if you're not 100% sure, let me know if you're possibly interested in order to stay in the loop with updates.

Potential Students:
 1. Feel free to start working on squashing bugs, submitting patches, digging into code and browsing project ideas… this is activity we encourage all year-round.
 2. It's also never too early to read the GSoC FAQ and review all the links here: http://nrnb.org/gsoc
 3. However, it is too early to worry about your student application. We can begin working on those with you AFTER Feb 24 (if we're accepted as an org). Student applications will be accepted from March 10 - 21. Not before and not after.

Thanks!
 - Alex

Alexander Pico, PhD
NRNB Executive Director
Bioinformatics Assoc. Director
Gladstone Institutes
http://gladstoneinstitutes.org

Giovanni Scardoni

Feb 6, 2014, 9:19:30 AM2/6/14
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alex,
I have added prof. Fausto Spoto as a potential mentor of our ideas (29-30-31).
Here you find his resume, he is now helping us on our  Cytoscape apps projects.
Please let me know if it's right.
good luck for theapplication!
Giovanni

2014-02-04 Alexander Pico <ap...@gladstone.ucsf.edu>:

Giovanni Scardoni
The Center for BioMedical Computing (CBMC)
www.cbmc.it/~scardonig/
University of Verona
Strada le Grazie, 15 -37134
Verona -Italy

Try these Cytoscape apps!
CentiScaPe: http://www.cbmc.it/~scardonig/centiscape/centiscape.php
Interference: http://www.cbmc.it/~scardonig/interference/Interference.php
CVE (1).pdf

Gang Su

Feb 6, 2014, 1:29:16 PM2/6/14
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Please count me in. I will update a project idea with the CoolMap application I showed last year.
Thank you!

Gang

Best wishes,

Gang Su

Max Franz

Feb 21, 2014, 4:24:27 PM2/21/14
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com, gary.bader, Christian Tannus Lopes
Hi Alex,

I just thought of a new idea for a Cytoscape.js GSOC project, but unfortunately it’s past the 17 Feb date to edit the Google doc.  Would it be possible to squeeze this in?  If not, that’s OK, but it could be an interesting project.

Idea: Graph theory algorithms for Cytoscape.js

Cytoscape.js will be adding support for several graph theory functions in 2.2, such as Kruskal, Dijkstra, DFS, etc.  But there are even more algorithms that we could add, including:

- A*
- B*
- Ant colony search
- Floyd-Warshall

This project would involve implementing a few algorithms, and possibly more time permitting.

Languages and Skills: JavaScript, Git/GitHub
Potential Mentors: Max Franz

Thanks,
Max

Alexander Pico

Feb 21, 2014, 5:44:10 PM2/21/14
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com, gary.bader, Christian Tannus Lopes
Just in time…  I just now added it and pushed all updated ideas to the live listing at http://nrnb.org/gsoc/index.html#ideas-tab.  Potential mentors have until Monday noon pacific to make final edits to proposal ideas. I will make one final push on Monday when accepted mentoring orgs are announced. ::fingers crossed::

Cheers,
 - Alex

Alexander Pico

Feb 25, 2014, 8:11:09 PM2/25/14
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com, wikipathways-discuss
The National Resource for Network Biology (NRNB) was accepted into our 8th year of Google Summer of Code!  We will be mentoring Cytoscape, WikiPathways, PathVisio, MedSavant, Virtual Cell, and other network-related projects. This is a particularly active time for our developer communities, so please be patient with the uptick in GSoC-related questions and newbie introductions on these mailing lists over the next few weeks :)

Potential Mentors:
1. If you think you might want to work with a student this summer to get more done on your network-related coding project, then let me know ASAP. Registered mentors are already off and running, but there is time this week to catch up.

Potential Students:
1. Now is your time to shine. Get on over to our program page (see link above), browse the resource links, read the FAQ, and dive into the Project Ideas tab.
2. Research a few project ideas that catch your attention.
3. Formulate specific questions and original thoughts related to the ideas (or your own idea).
4. THEN contact your potential mentors via the provided contact information associated with each idea.

Serious students should have 2-3 projects well-researched and be in touch with mentors BEFORE March 10. We will work with you to make the best possible application and give you specific feedback during the application period from March 10-21. Pro-tip: do not submit your first draft on the last day.

Cheers,
 - Alex

Alexander Pico

Mar 10, 2014, 2:05:34 PM3/10/14
to Cytoscape-Discuss, wikipathways-discuss
The application period for GSoC 2014 starts TODAY:

Find NRNB Project Ideas and "How To Apply" here:

Potential Students: Don't wait until the last day to submit your proposal. Getting feedback and having time to update your proposal is critical to a successful application.

Potential Mentors: Make sure you respond to student inquiries this week. The more you invest in students now, the easier it will be to select and successfully mentor a student going forward. You only have 2 weeks after the submission deadline to make final selections.

Thanks!
 - Alex