Possibly silly question

Magogue

Dec 27, 2009, 2:10:00 PM12/27/09
to Cult of ORE
But I am new to the system, so forgiveness may be an option.
How can a character succeed in a roll, when he has only 1d in the stat
and no relevant skills whatsoever?
For example - In the KC quick-start there is a Pale Tom Teach with
only 1d Body. In our saturday game, Tom leaped to some kind of vortex
and tried to pull something away from it. Can he succeed?

Thanks

Arcturus Felire

Dec 27, 2009, 2:32:48 PM12/27/09
to Cult of ORE
I believe, though I may be wrong, that you can use the Extra Time
rules listed on page 24 of Wild Talents. Also the section on page 114
of the Powers Chapter on "Only One Die" provides some info. Basically,
by extending the time it takes the task from one round to two or
three, you can add an extra to two extra dice to the pool. So you can
go from 1d to 3d if you give it enough time.

The only issue is that time cannot be of grave importance, which in
your example it is.

Shane Ivey

Dec 27, 2009, 2:34:02 PM12/27/09
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
> But I am new to the system, so forgiveness may be an option.
> How can a character succeed in a roll, when he has only 1d in the stat
> and no relevant skills whatsoever?

(a) Take extra time or spend Willpower to gain a bonus die or two.
With 2d you have a 10% chance and with 3d you have 28%.

(b) Stick to actions that are non-critical enough that they don't
require a successful roll.

--
Shane Ivey
Arc Dream Publishing

Allan Goodall

Dec 27, 2009, 2:51:43 PM12/27/09
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Shane Ivey <shane...@gmail.com> wrote:

(a) Take extra time or spend Willpower to gain a bonus die or two.
With 2d you have a 10% chance and with 3d you have 28%.

(b) Stick to actions that are non-critical enough that they don't
require a successful roll.

Also, in ranged combat you add 1d for firing at close range.

So even a character with 1d in Pistol could roll 4d if they spend two actions to aim and the target is at close range.

--
Allan Goodall            http://www.hyperbear.com
agoo...@hyperbear.com

Dorian Hawkins

Dec 27, 2009, 3:05:45 PM12/27/09
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
I also borrowed the "Chance Die" mechanic from Storyteller 2.0:

If a character has his/her dice pool reduced to zero or less, they may
still roll a single die. On a roll of a 10, they succeed the task but
with a Width of 1: whatever they were doing, its not pretty but at least
they were successful. However, if they roll a 1, then they have
critically failed and Bad Things happen.

> agoo...@hyperbear.com <mailto:agoo...@hyperbear.com>
> awgo...@gmail.com <mailto:awgo...@gmail.com>

Magogue

Dec 28, 2009, 11:23:54 AM12/28/09
to Cult of ORE
Thanks for all the answers, the implication for character design are
very interesting indeed. I'm still not sure how the system is working
for me exactly, but she is definitely the smartest I've seen.
Otherwise, we are having great fun with both it and the KC setting.
I'm running The fox infestation of 1864 from the chronology as a cozy
(at first) mystery.