Re: [ORE] I'm looking for a "Grant Superpowers" type miracle (Wild Talents 2E)

Matt

Apr 25, 2013, 12:07:50 AM4/25/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com, cult-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, do you want to be able to give yourself powers? If yes then I'd say go with Cosmic Power. Played right it would function like Anshin'in-San from Medaka Box.
If you want to be able to only grant others powers then (as a GM) I'd settle for:

Grant Powers 10d 3/d 30pts
U, Touch, Permanent, Variable Effect,
Base Will Cost (half value since target can opt to pay Base Will cost)
If/thens- others only, grant powers only, once per target per lifetime

For any game i ran this caps the number of dice you can grant at 10, but you can build whatever you want as long as you pay the WP cost. Granting your team powers would be tempting but strategically difficult since you'd want to give the something good but would need to save the points a d give it to them in one go. You'd also be capped at 1 10d power so if you wanted something versatile it would be expensive. Few of your creations would be ridiculous hd/WD monsters, but they'd still be more awesome than a normal human.

For fun I'd add this power to the character:

Invulnerable to Granted Powers 9/d 3hd 54pts
D, Self, Permanent, variable effect, if/then only granted powers

So powers you granted that target you often fail but the occasional shot might slip through.

Those are my thoughts.

-Matt Conlon

On Apr 24, 2013, at 6:24 AM, Christopher Audette <stupidin...@gmail.com> wrote:

When I mean "Grant Superpowers", I mean permanently.  Obviously a Miracle like this would need some cost and GM approval, but I'm looking for at least a semi-official answer on how such a power would be modeled.  My current thoughts are that it would look something like this:

Grant Superpowers
Cost: 18/36/72
Attacks C/E/F: Permanent +4, Variable Effect +4, Touch Only -2, If/Then (Only for Variable Effect) -1, If/Then (Variable Effect only for granting superpowers) -1
Defends C/E/F: Permanent +4, Variable Effect +4, Touch Only -2, If/Then (Only for Variable Effect) -1, If/Then (Variable Effect only for granting superpowers) -1
Useful C/E/F: Permanent +4, Variable Effect +4, Touch Only -2, If/Then (Only for Variable Effect) -1, If/Then (Variable Effect only for granting superpowers) -1
Effect: You grant a person dice in width any superpower you wish permanently.  These dice are the same quality (normal/hard/wiggle) as those in the roll, and you pay willpower for each die you throw down (1 for normal, 2 for hard, and 4 for wiggle) when you roll this power.  You may only grant any given person a specific power once.

So that's what it might look like, I would figure, but what about the Archetype said character would gain?  Permissions? Intrinsics?  Any help on fleshing out this basic power would be much appreciated.

Message has been deleted

Christopher Audette

Apr 25, 2013, 12:12:17 AM4/25/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't this need an attack and defends quality as well if you wanted Hyperstats and Attacks/Defends Miracles?  Other than that, yeah, your power looks like what I'm looking for.

Matt

Apr 25, 2013, 12:26:25 AM4/25/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com, cult-...@googlegroups.com
Derp, missed the bottom of your post-

Archetype: IIRC this is Origin+Permissions, so for Origin they'd probably be grandfathered in under your own, if you are "making them like you" otherwise they wouldn't have one or would have their own "Zerpspawn" or whatever (see below), they'd only gain an intrinsic if the powers you gave them were made intrinsic, permissions would probably be "one power" or "power theme."

They wouldn't automatically get to spend WP, since your power doesn't grant stats you'd have to model super strength or speed with Augment (which would work fine and bypass stat caps and dice type limits).

Here are some examples:

Zerp the future man force evolves targets, his origin is Unknown and his permissions are Perfect Human or Driven? (the one that let's you buy hd/wd in stats, and power theme (granted powers).

Because Zerp is defined as force evolving his targets the GM decides they will be Zerpspawn and eventually a gadgeteer discovers weeaboo waves that nullify their powers. Zerp himself creates a weeaboo field that prevents his creations from destroying him, etc. but these mundanes aren't anything special other than their powers.

Now, Tim, a new player decides he'll play a Zerpspawn, during char gen he buys the Driven archetype/permission. By way of being a player character he can spend willpower and by way of Driven can buy WD in stats. His Zerpspawn power is some impractical Roar power and he becomes the Iron Lion civic defender.

Alternatively the weird tech/power Zerp uses might also give them the Unknown Origin and weeaboo waves might cancel all powers that stem from The Unknown.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Apr 25, 2013, 12:37:10 AM4/25/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com, cult-...@googlegroups.com
Some GMs might say yes it needs the A and D qualities. I'd say no, you could just as easily make it

Grant powers 2hd
U, touch, perm, others only grant origin (same as yours)
U, touch, perm, attached U, grant Permission One power

Then The target would be able to spend whatever XP they have on one power. If that's an attack so be it.

I'm assuming this I'd for some kind of Powerbroker PC rather than Anshin'in (who used 400 different powers to take out mooks). If you aren't planning to power up the group, all you're really doing is spending WP for flashy extras in set piece battles or creating your own rogues gallery, I'm fine with that.

I suppose you could create elaborately flawed powers that are more curse than blessing but this sort of thing is usually consensual (that would be a fun if/then monkey's paw flaw).

I wouldn't make you pay for A and D of you don't plan on Aing or Ding with the power, but I'm an overthetop GM.

-Matt Conlon

Daniel Kane

Apr 25, 2013, 1:43:47 AM4/25/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
I'd totally require the A and D qualities,  myself.

Gadgeteering might be a good model for it.  Requiring physical contact and a couple hours of meditation?  Delayed Effect!  Want to make it permanent? Spend Base Will!  Just swap the Focus requirement with an "only for others" requirement.  Add or remove Flaws as needed.

-- Daniel

Matt

Apr 25, 2013, 5:56:13 AM4/25/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com, cult-...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, assuming the player doesn't intend to give themselves a billion powers and that dumping a 10hd permanent "defends Powerbroker only" on every goon in sight remains nonviable; what's your justification for requiring the additional expense?

I'm just curious about what sort of scenario you see occurring that would demand such a heavy investment for a PC?

I can tell you, straight up, the utility of this power is limited no matter how much it costs per die because its abuse requires sanctions and its willpower cost practically prohibits abuse. In effect, a PC that can accumulate the WP to make this power a problem can accumulate the WP to buy a ridiculously expensive power.

To the OP: I addressed hyper stats/skills in the other post I sent, make an Augment (which also bypasses stat limitations).