Re: [ORE] Converting Godlike miracles to Wild Talents (newbie here)

Allan Goodall

Sep 21, 2012, 6:23:15 PM9/21/12
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
On 9/20/12, Black Knight <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for modeling these Godlike powers in the more general
> WT system?

I'll take a crack at it. It's been a while since I did any WT
character building but I need to get into more of that for our Repo
Men campaign.

> - His signature power in Godlike is Fetch, with the Cornucopia Extra and
> Distort Power Stunt. (honestly, the only part I'm really jazzed about is
> the Cornucopia aspect...I could live without the extra boost when
> Distorting, and even the ability to teleport any object in sight the way
> the base power allows, if there's an easier/better way to simulate the
> ability to Fetch tagged objects)

Without Distorting, this is pretty easy. Like Teleportation, it's an
ADU power, with A and U having Range capacity and D having Self
capacity. Then add the Mass capacity to each of these, to handle the
fact that you can teleport a certain mass. Add a "non-living item"
flaw to each quality. Then add an additional U quality for the tagging
ability, since that's one more useful thing the power does. This
second U quality would have the Touch capacity.

You can remove the D if you don't want the character to be able to
defend himself by Fetching items (in other words, the character would
have to "defend" himself by noticing an object and declaring that they
are actively taking the object).

The distortion effect is more of a pain, but just a little. First,
create Distortion as a separate ability. Make it an ADU power. Give it
the Attached flaw (attached to Fetch) and the Augment extra. You don't
have to give it the second "U" since tagging the object doesn't
distort it.

Fetch (7)
Qualities: ADU.
Attacks Extras and Flaws: Non-Living items only (-1), Willpower bid
(-1), Mass capacity (+2). Capacities: range, mass.
Defends Extras and Flaws: Non-Living items only (-1), Willpower bid
(-1), Mass capacity (+2). Capacities: mass, self.
Usefule Extras and Flaws: Non-Living items only (-1), Willpower bid
(-1), Mass capacity (+2). Capacities: range, mass.
Useful Extras and Flaws: Non-Living items only (-1), Willpower bid
(-1). Capacities: touch.

Distortion (12)
Qualities: ADU.
Attacks Extras and Flaws: Attached to Fetch (-2), Augment (+4).
Capacities: range.
Defends Extras and Flaws: Attached to Fetch (-2), Augment (+4).
Capacities: self.
Usefule Extras and Flaws: Attached to Fetch (-2), Augment (+4).
Capacities: range.

Distortion is more expensive than Fetch, but you're only going to buy
a small number of dice in it, and add that to Fetch when you want to
distrot something during the Fetch.

> - Telekinesis, with the Multiple Hands Power Stunt, along with Endless,
> and Can't Hurt People. Basically, what I'm looking for here is the ability
> to manipulate multiple objects in his local environment, and to be able to
> leave them "hanging" via TK without having to concentrate on them. (I
> envision in my head someone walking into his tent, and seeing various items
> hanging in the air...a book he was reading, his shaving gear, mess kit,
> etc.) He merely needs to concentrate on an item to manipulate or move it
> actively, otherwise it stays where he left it unless he remembers to "put
> it down".

The Multiple Hands power stunt is the tricky part. And it's not that
tricky. Just buy additional levels of U. If your Godlike character
could juggle 5 items, just buy U5. Each additional U level (it's a new
level of Useful, not an additional Useful quality) subtracts a
penalty. So juggling 5 items should normally apply a -4d penalty, but
with U5 the -4d penalty is negated.

The Can't Hurt People part, I'd just make it so you can't attack with
it. You can still defend (by throwing one object in the way of another
object) and you'd still have Useful.

I'd go with Mass as the capacity, since it's only in the local area.
Even though he's not touching the objects, he can't attack with them
at a distance (if you want that, add the Range capacity). I'm also
assuming that to defend he has to concentrate, as the objects are just
floating in the air and not actively trying to guard him.

Telekinesis (9)
Qualities: DU5.
Defends Extras and Flaws: Willpower Bid (-1). Capacity: Self.
Useful Extras and Flaws: Endless (+3), Willpower Bid (-1). Capacity: Mass.

> - Detect (People), out to about 100 yards or so, through obstructions,
> with a longer range (up to a mile or so) if he concentrates (the Close Your
> Eyes And See Power Stunt). Also has the Tracking Extra, along with a Blind
> Spot Flaw.

I'd build it from scratch.

Detect People (4)
Qualities: DUUU
Defends Extras and Flaws: Blind Spot (-1), Willpower Bid (-1). Capacity: Self.
Useful Extras and Flaws: Blind Spot (-1), Reduced Capacity (-1),
Willpower Bid (-1). Capacity: Range.
Useful Extras and Flaws: Blind Spot (-1), Slow (-2), Willpower Bid
(-1): Capacity: Range.
Useful Extras and Flaws: Blind Spot (-1), Willpower Bid (-1). Capacity: Range.

An explanation: The Blind Spot flaw is essentially an If/Then flaw
that says "If the character is in a certain location, the power
doesn't work". The power would be bought with 8 dice, to get about a
mile's range out of it. The first Useful reduces that range to about
100 yards. If the player chooses to "boost" the range, they use the
second Useful instead, which doesn't have the reduced capacity but
does have the slow flaw (takes a round of concentration). And tracking
the target once the roll is made is a useful ability, so it's the
third Useful.

Drop the "D" if you can't use it to defend, just detect.

> - I also had the Perception power, defined as Perceiving "People"...this
> may be somewhat redundant with the Detect power, above, but I was trying to
> cover all of my bases. I saw this one as being a passive counterpart to
> the Detect's more active usage. Again, this allows him to see people even
> though they may be behind cover or obstructions, but only out to the limits
> of what his (unobstructed) sight might be (at least that's what I was going
> for). I had bought this with the Superimposed Extra.

The Perceive cafeteria miracle works. If you want it "passive" (i.e.
it works without you spending an action on it) give it the Duration or
Endless extra. Superimposed would just be an additional U.

> - the Alert power, for basic danger sense

That's just a U power with the Range capacity and the Endless extra.

> - Several Affinity Powers (vs. Fire, Arctic and Underwater
> environments). I wasn't really interested in bonus dice when acting in
> said environments, just the ability to operate in them without damage or
> undue restriction of action. Would this be done with Immunity in WT?

Yes.

--
Allan Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com
awgo...@gmail.com

Black Knight

Sep 22, 2012, 1:25:32 PM9/22/12
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!  Thanks, Allan!  I love This Favored Land, by the way...great topic for a setting, and well done!  My head is abuzz with ways to blend it with Kerberos Club's and Godlike's settings to get one long continuity... (all also running smack into my Castle Falkenstein internalizations...)

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:39:37 AM UTC-5, Black Knight wrote:
I'm a long-time gamer, but very new to the ORE system.  My entree was via Godlike, and I created my first character in that system.  Since then, I've purchased PDF versions of Kerberos Club and This Favored Land (along with Progenitor and WT 2nd ed.).  I love the idea that my Godlike character was around in the time of the Kerberos Club and This Favored Land (and I'll just hand-wave differences between the settings/systems, as needed).  I'm okay with the idea that some of the powers will adjust somewhat in recreating them in WT terms, but I'm struggling with wrapping my head around the miracle creation concepts and specifics.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for modeling these Godlike powers in the more general WT system?
[...]
      Any suggestions of how to build these powers would be much appreciated, and hopefully help me get into the system more readily!  Thanks in advance!

      Allan Goodall

      Sep 24, 2012, 1:02:32 PM9/24/12
      to cult-...@googlegroups.com
      You're welcome!

      The whole concept is pretty cool, pulling characters up from This Favored Land/Kerberos Club all the way through Godlike. Though if I ever do the TFL sequel that I've been thinking about (supers in the Wild West), the background may require some fudging to make World War II work out like in Godlike. *S*

      Black Knight

      Sep 24, 2012, 3:49:24 PM9/24/12
      to cult-...@googlegroups.com
      If you do it, put me down for one!

      Black Knight

      Sep 24, 2012, 3:54:35 PM9/24/12
      to cult-...@googlegroups.com
      That's funny that you say that, my character referenced here basically comes out of a Wild West background (via the CSA cavalry/guerrillas) before he ends up in London.  Basically, the fish-out-of-water Cowboy in the Big City trope.  It's a character concept I developed in Castle Falkenstein, but easily transfers to TFL/Kerberos Club, or other (pseudo-)Victorian settings.  ;-)
      I think in Kerberos, he would function somewhat as a Victorian version of the Punisher, among other things.
      (though, in actuality, in this case I started with a semi-sniper concept in Godlike, and sort of backed into this earlier Victorian version of him...)

      Black Knight

      Sep 24, 2012, 3:59:35 PM9/24/12
      to cult-...@googlegroups.com
      I guess in between, there's certainly room for a Pulp Supers era as well!  <cue Indiana Jones theme music>
      (though I was kind of thinking that after the end of the Kerberos Club/Victorian era, maybe the incidence of Talents subsides greatly, with only a few active in the intervening years, to let Godlike start off something like it does in the official background/setting...)

      Allan Goodall

      Sep 27, 2012, 10:33:26 PM9/27/12
      to cult-...@googlegroups.com
      On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Black Knight <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
      If you do it, put me down for one!

      There's 1 vote! :-)

      If/when it happens, it will likely have a Kickstarter associated with it.

      Allan Goodall

      Sep 27, 2012, 10:36:25 PM9/27/12
      to cult-...@googlegroups.com
      On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Black Knight <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
      I guess in between, there's certainly room for a Pulp Supers era as well!  <cue Indiana Jones theme music>

      I have some ideas of combining pulp supers and the ACW, but that's getting really specialized, and more of a mini-supplement.

      (though I was kind of thinking that after the end of the Kerberos Club/Victorian era, maybe the incidence of Talents subsides greatly, with only a few active in the intervening years, to let Godlike start off something like it does in the official background/setting...)

      That's a cool idea. If you go forward with it, I'd like to hear about it.