[Cucumber-JVM] Need help in evaluating cucumber-jvm vs jbehave

Senthil

May 1, 2013, 5:15:43 PM5/1/13
to cu...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We are about to submit our report of  BDD tools evaluation. We have couple of questions

1. JBehave provides parallel test execution. Currently not available in Cucumber-JVM. I saw from the forum, there are couple of attempts & hacks to achieve indirectly.
        It is the compelling feature, very helpful for selenium tests (which takes long time to run , and in cloud run like saucelabs will take longer time if we run sequentially) , parallel execution will definetly speed up.

        Is there a plan in roadmap of the tool?

2. JBehave provides richer life cycle callbacks/hooks support. Before and After Scenario/Story/All Stories, code can be written.
     Before Story, we would like to start browser, and run several scenarios, then after story we terminate the browser. So parallelly say like 5 features will run on separate browsers.

     Is there a plan in roadmap of the tool?

3. Download statistics. Want to have the download statistics. Can you please share maven central download statistics for last 1 year or so. It seems only the project owners can see the statistics from maven central.

4. Forum statistics. Last 1 year no. of posts, no. of users etc.

Notes: Currently we prefer cucumber-jvm and already started using it on our projects. The reason we felt is Cucumber-JVM seems simple, more active development/discussion happening, people migrating from jbehave to cucumber-jvm, and better github stats like stargazers, and forks.

Please also share if any other differentiating features if you believe.

Thanks & Regards
Senthil

aslak hellesoy

May 1, 2013, 10:05:54 PM5/1/13
to Cucumber Users
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Senthil <senth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

We are about to submit our report of  BDD tools evaluation. We have couple of questions

1. JBehave provides parallel test execution. Currently not available in Cucumber-JVM. I saw from the forum, there are couple of attempts & hacks to achieve indirectly.
        It is the compelling feature, very helpful for selenium tests (which takes long time to run , and in cloud run like saucelabs will take longer time if we run sequentially) , parallel execution will definetly speed up.

        Is there a plan in roadmap of the tool?

Parallel execution is something I think we should add, but not before gherkin3 (see cukes-devs archives for details).
I don't think it will happen in the next 6 months, but maybe within a year.

Keep in mind that parallel execution can be problematic - especially when concurrent scenarios end up reading/writing to the same place (like a database).

2. JBehave provides richer life cycle callbacks/hooks support. Before and After Scenario/Story/All Stories, code can be written.
     Before Story, we would like to start browser, and run several scenarios, then after story we terminate the browser. So parallelly say like 5 features will run on separate browsers.

     Is there a plan in roadmap of the tool?

See these links:

I think a BeforeStory/AfterStory (in cucumber that would be BeforeFeature/AfterFeature) is a bad idea, so that is not going to happen. There are several threads in the archives with more details about why.

3. Download statistics. Want to have the download statistics. Can you please share maven central download statistics for last 1 year or so. It seems only the project owners can see the statistics from maven central.

Cucumber-JVM has had roughly 20.000 downloads per month in the past 6 months. Keep in mind that many companies have internal repositories that cache artifacts, so the real number is probably quite a bit higher.

4. Forum statistics. Last 1 year no. of posts, no. of users etc.

Members: 2209
Topics (Threads): 2898 since 2008.

Notes: Currently we prefer cucumber-jvm and already started using it on our projects. The reason we felt is Cucumber-JVM seems simple, more active development/discussion happening, people migrating from jbehave to cucumber-jvm, and better github stats like stargazers, and forks.

Please also share if any other differentiating features if you believe.

I think you should try both for a couple of weeks and pick the one that works the best for you. That's usually more reliable than trying to analyse what suits you best.

Aslak

Thanks & Regards
Senthil

--
-- Rules --

1) Please prefix the subject with [Ruby], [JVM] or [JS].
2) Please use interleaved answers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
3) If you have a question, don't reply to an existing message. Start a new topic instead.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Cukes group. To post to this group, send email to cu...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/cukes?hl=en
---

Senthil

May 14, 2013, 10:12:19 PM5/14/13
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Aslak.

We presented our evaluation work, now Cucumber-JVM is our company's approved BDD tool.

Regards
Senthil

aslak hellesoy

May 31, 2013, 8:30:02 AM5/31/13
to Cucumber Users

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:25 AM, Christian Helmbold <helmbold....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Aslak,

Parallel execution is something I think we should add, but not before gherkin3 (see cukes-devs archives for details).
I don't think it will happen in the next 6 months, but maybe within a year.

Keep in mind that parallel execution can be problematic - especially when concurrent scenarios end up reading/writing to the same place (like a database).

Parallel execution is very important for me too. We have many, many tests and needing results as fast as possible. Parallel execution can even show problematic areas in the tested code. So I hope Cucumber-JVM will support parallelism as soon as possible,

This should be easier to implement when we switch to Gherkin3, which will give us a simpler execution model. Whomever wants to send a pull request for parallel execution should probably wait until then.

Aslak

because I prefer Cucumber over JBehave.

Christian