Differences between Cubieboard and Hackberry?

Ricardo Correia

Sep 29, 2012, 11:39:39 AM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I just discovered Hackberry, a board very similar to Cubieboard, but I can see some differences.
You can check Hackberry here:
https://www.miniand.com/products/Hackberry%20A10%20Developer%20Board

Comparing the two boards it seems that the same Cortex A8 processor (or maybe they have the difference of 200Mhz), the RAM memory for both is 1GB, and they both use Mali400 for GPU.
Both supports HDMI, they both have 4GB NAND storage, and they support memory cards (MicroSD on Cubieboard, and SDHC on Hackberry), and have an Ethernet port, 2 USB ports, and so on.

Apart from these similarities we also have some important differences:
  • Cubieboard supports SATA, which is great;
  • Hackberry supports WiFi,which is also great.

They both are powerful, and both have advantages.

What about power details, and other important features?

Cheers!

Piotr Miedzik

Sep 29, 2012, 11:51:05 AM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
How can it be named hackberry if there is no expansion header.

You can always add WIFI/BT to Cubieboard using usb

--
Piotr Miedzik

Dmitriy B.

Sep 29, 2012, 11:52:53 AM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Difference is in support, miniand is reseller of god knows who, cubieboard is made by one guy upon demand from sunxi community and every stage of development was open and I believe will be open.

Hackberry is clearly a OEM resell of bought PCB project from some developer (WITS maybe?) + good PR, just saying. Dont expect support from them. As another example you can remember piece of crap called Gooseberry, which was bare LY-F1 tablet A721 board, I hope they died by now.

2012/9/29 Ricardo Correia <ricardoc...@yahoo.com>

jons...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2012, 11:54:57 AM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hackberry doesn't have expansion headers like the Cubie. The expansion
header can expose all of the other peripherals on the A10 by adding
shields. For example someone is already working on a VGA shield.

If you want to add things buy a Cubie - you're a maker and know what a GPIO is.

If you just want to run Android the options below are better....

Hackberry appears to be the internal PCB from something like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CHINAPost-Freeshipping-Minix-MK805-MK802-Allwinner-A10-Android-4-0-RAM-512MB-ROM-4GB-1-2GHz/620816693.html

Might as well order the version with power supply and case.

Even smaller are these Android sticks...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-PC-Android-Smart-android-4-0-tv-box-1GB-RAM-4GB-ROM-Allwinner-A10-Google/639499535.html

If all you want to do is add an LCD, don't bother. It is way too hard
to do unless you are an expert. Just buy a finished A10 tablet.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-7-Capacitive-Screen-android-4-0-AllWinner-A10-1-5GHz-1GB-4GB-HDMI-Camera/599690311.html

--
Jon Smirl
jons...@gmail.com

Ricardo Correia

Sep 29, 2012, 12:16:48 PM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your input!

In fact the expansion header changes everything.

One more question:
What can we use a TTL 4-pin header for?
This is only header supported by Hackberry...

Cheers!

Floris Bos / Maxnet

Sep 29, 2012, 12:23:46 PM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

On 09/29/2012 05:54 PM, jons...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hackberry doesn't have expansion headers like the Cubie. The expansion
> header can expose all of the other peripherals on the A10 by adding
> shields. For example someone is already working on a VGA shield. If
> you want to add things buy a Cubie - you're a maker and know what a
> GPIO is. If you just want to run Android the options below are better....

Your options are not comparable because they lack LAN...
While some claim to have it in the spec, the connector is nowhere to be
seen on the photos.

Cubie, Hackberry and Mele are the few that do.
With the 1 GB version of the Mele being twice the price.

>Might as well order the version with power supply and case.

Hackberry does include a power supply, just no case.
I like Cubie's form factor better though.

Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos

NOD

Sep 29, 2012, 12:24:25 PM9/29/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
It's basically a serial console for low-level debugging.
If whatever software you have running on the board suddenly refuses to work, then you can hook up a TTL to PC serial OR TTL to USB adapter and check what the board spits out in a command prompt.
The Cubieboard has such header too (obviously)