How to install image

Pongchai Tangbowonweerakun

Dec 14, 2012, 2:34:54 AM12/14/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi I'am try install android to cubieboard board with Android TV Box image and "LiveSuit Tool" when plug mini usb to my computer. Live Suit not response any thing.
please help me.
i'am use win 7 64bits
this my picture Livesuit

sorry i'am english skin is not good

Thank you

Michal Suchanek

Dec 14, 2012, 9:23:00 AM12/14/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I guess you want phoenix card for that.

You install the image to an micro SD card using phoenixcard.

You put the SD card into cubieboard and turn it on.

Cubieboard boots from the card and copies the image in the internal flash.

You turn off cubieboard and remove card.

When you next turn on cubieboard it boots the new image.

That's how I understand it should work.

HTH

Michal

Tom Cubie

Dec 14, 2012, 9:32:12 AM12/14/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Pongchai Tangbowonweerakun
<pongchai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I'am try install android to cubieboard board with Android TV Box image
> and "LiveSuit Tool" when plug mini usb to my computer. Live Suit not
> response any thing.
> please help me.
> i'am use win 7 64bits
> this my picture Livesuit

Hi, Livesuite doesn't work on 64bit windows system currently, maybe we should
put it on the download page.

> sorry i'am english skin is not good
>
> Thank you
>

> --

Keep simple, stay foolish.

Pongchai Tangbowonweerakun

Dec 14, 2012, 11:09:41 AM12/14/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for all answer .

Simos Xenitellis

Dec 14, 2012, 1:36:49 PM12/14/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Tom Cubie <mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Pongchai Tangbowonweerakun
> <pongchai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi I'am try install android to cubieboard board with Android TV Box image
>> and "LiveSuit Tool" when plug mini usb to my computer. Live Suit not
>> response any thing.
>> please help me.
>> i'am use win 7 64bits
>> this my picture Livesuit
>
> Hi, Livesuite doesn't work on 64bit windows system currently, maybe we should
> put it on the download page.

I added it.
Changed
LiveSuitPack 1.02 for Windows [3,8MB]
LiveSuitPack 1.02 for Windows (32-bit Windows only) [3,8MB]

Simos

SunshineDigital

Dec 18, 2012, 12:38:04 PM12/18/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
There are other software applications that will do the same service as LiveSuit. I had LiveSuit refused by Windows Vista, so  I use Image Writer from MS.

This was recommended by BerryBoot.  There is all the unix utility 'dd' that may work, but nobody has written a clear explanation of how to use 'dd'.

Bastiaan van den Berg

Dec 18, 2012, 12:41:15 PM12/18/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM, SunshineDigital <jackalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
There are other software applications that will do the same service as LiveSuit. I had LiveSuit refused by Windows Vista, so  I use Image Writer from MS.

This was recommended by BerryBoot.  There is all the unix utility 'dd' that may work, but nobody has written a clear explanation of how to use 'dd'.

This is not a replacement for LiveSuit.

dd is easy btw, you use it like this :

dd if=<INPUTFILENAME> of=<OUTPUTDEVICE>

You just need to replace <INPUTFILENAME> with the image filename you want and <OUTPUTDEVICE> with the device you want to write the image to.

Reverse if= and of= to _make_ an image.

--
buZz

SunshineDigital

Dec 18, 2012, 10:46:22 PM12/18/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
You are right. I now see that I am very wrong about this.  Also, I resolved my own problems with LiveSuit by first downloading the files and then installing.

It seems that LiveSuit is required to flash storage on the CubieBoard.  The  Image Writer only transfers an image to an SDmicro card.

And the BerryBoot versions of Linux are only available on the SDcard.

Alejandro Mery

Dec 20, 2012, 7:48:17 AM12/20/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On 19 December 2012 04:46, SunshineDigital <jackalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are right. I now see that I am very wrong about this. Also, I resolved
> my own problems with LiveSuit by first downloading the files and then
> installing.
>
> It seems that LiveSuit is required to flash storage on the CubieBoard. The
> Image Writer only transfers an image to an SDmicro card.

LiveSuit images ARE NOT dd-able. They have their own format, with
encryptions and even windows tools included.

SunshineDigital

Dec 27, 2012, 12:01:58 PM12/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
 Okay, what is going on with LiveSuit?

When I try to install LiveSuit v1.02 in Windows7 or Vista, it apparently will not work as the included USB driver is NOT accepted.  Do I have to remove other USB drivers.

When I try to install LiveSuit v1.02 in Linux, I find that I am required to have a 64bit machine with b4bit Linux OS.

There is a LiveSuite v1.07 for Windows as well, but it doesn't install properly either.

I am getting the sense that the Cubieboard has been provided with a matrix of software choices that have a series of contrived flaws.

What version of what OS are you using to effectively usle LiveSute and which version.

I even have seen a download labled LiveSuite.exe, not LiveSuite.

Seve

Dec 27, 2012, 12:59:33 PM12/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Get Ubuntu 11.04 on a USB stick and boot from it and then follow the Linux instructions. I used a mini USB cable to flash the NAND storage.

Martin Wild

Dec 27, 2012, 4:15:36 PM12/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

@sunshinedigital,

I dont kow whats your problem in starting to use your Cubie , but an SDcard is nowhere in the world an invaluable object.
Go on and give Phoenixcard a try ! http://tom.linux-sunxi.org/mom/PhoenixCardV306_2012_03_02.zip
So there is no need to try for weeks to get livesuit to run. phoenixcard works -whatever- your (microsoft) OS is currently.....
and YES! cubieboard has a lot of choices and none of them are  is foolproof - thats normal when you buy "developers hardware". so think about buying an Linux-basic manual(windows is not the (only)right choice when trying to set up your cubieboard).
I am following the forum for weeks, and i think it would make sense for you to start again from an different point of view!
I really dont want to affront you, but i think you are the only one here not making any noticeable progress , so excuse me if I am wrong for i am just trying to help.

So,dont get me too wrong , Martin.

SunshineDigital

Dec 27, 2012, 8:06:07 PM12/27/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I have Ubuntu 10.04 32 bitinstalled on a Toshiba NB250, and Ubuntu 12.04 32bit installed on an Intel 64bit quad machine.

But my impression from the Linux instructions is that I need to use 64bit Linux to run LiveSuit.  Are you saying 32bit 11.04 Ubuntu will work quite well? Or do I need 64 bit?

Seve

Dec 28, 2012, 1:49:18 AM12/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
No, 64 bit.

SunshineDigital

Dec 28, 2012, 7:44:13 AM12/28/12
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I think I have tried everything in 32bit Windows7 and Vista with no luck.  The image that came with the board will not boot a mico SD card. So I reached an impasse.

I just happen to have a Quad 64bit machine, but really did not want to migrate it to Ubuntu 64bit. But NOW I see that I can just load a 64bit image on a USB memory stick and have that dedicated to Cubieboard.

So if anyone doesn't have their own 64bit machine, they can also make a USB memory stick and borrow a machine to do occasional loading.

So there is a bit of progress.

On Friday, December 28, 2012 2:49:18 PM UTC+8, Seve wrote:
No, 64 bit.

Carl Price

Jan 3, 2013, 9:27:53 PM1/3/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
OK, I think I just got this to work on a Win7 64 bit machine.

I downloaded the file cubiebox_tvbox_rel1.img

Next, I got livesuite 1.07, got it running on the system, and went through the options, defined image, etc.

Next, I turned off the cubieboard (while still plugged into the USB on my machine) by holding the button by the HDMI port.

Next, I turned on the cubieboard, first hold the button under the USB OTG port, then hold the button by the HDMI port (remember, push both at the same time), you should see drivers install the first time.

Now, livesuite should prompt to format, etc, then run.

Hope this helps

spacetastic

Jan 8, 2013, 4:59:42 PM1/8/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that the method given by Carl Price worked for me on Win 7 64 Bit. I'll expand on it slightly as Livesuite seems to have terrible translation to English and the Icons weren't very clear to me.

What I did exactly:

  1. Downloaded cubiebox_tvbox_re1.img from: http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/android/cubiebox_tvbox_rel1.img
  2. Downloaded Livesuite 1.07 from: http://www.mediafire.com/?idmeiyvr8xbt6rd (It was kind of a pain to find a copy of livesuite 1.07, at least for me)
  3. Uncompressed LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar using 7zip
  4. Ran livesuit LiveSuitPack_v1.07, which installs the livesuit tool.
  5. Plugged in cubieboard power.
  6. Powered off cubieboard by holding down power button by HDMI port for several seconds.
  7. Connected cubieboard to my windows PC using the OTG USB port, which is the micro usb port (My cubieboard did not come with one of those cables, I just happened to have one).
  8. Ran livesuit.exe
  9. First livesuite menu select "Yes"
  10. Second livesuite menu select "General"
  11. Third Livesuite menu select "Yes" and browse to the Livesuite image you want to use.
  12. On the Fourth Livesuite menu do the following: Hold down the the button by the OTG USB port and then pressed the power button by the HDMI port to turn the unit into the mode where you can connect to it. Just a red light should be on if you turned it on correctly.
  13. A menu should now pop up that says "Tips: Does mandatory format?", select "No" and the progress bar should start moving.
  14. When finished a window with a "!" will come up, click ok and the cubieboard reboots.

I should note I am messing with this at work where I don't have an HDMI cable, so I have no clue if the flashed image is working. I'll check when I get home.

George Ioakimedes

Jan 9, 2013, 8:41:08 AM1/9/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this. My next task is to change the image away from Android and this confirms that doing it is a little more involved than just flashing an image.

Michal Suchanek

Jan 9, 2013, 10:23:59 AM1/9/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I am using images on SD card only for testing and that does not
require any magic special tools.

Just gparted or sfdisk, mke2fs, dd.

I would like to install on the flash eventually when my I have a tuned
image but booting from SD card is OK for testing.

Thanks

Michal
Message has been deleted

Abovedmc

Jan 10, 2013, 2:24:58 PM1/10/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the expansion on flashing the cubieboard.  I am running Win 7 64 bit too and after carefully following your steps my machine did not "see" the OTG USB port and load the appropriate drivers thus nothing happened.  Any ideas about how to get my machine to recognize the cubie port?

Simos Xenitellis

Jan 10, 2013, 3:00:49 PM1/10/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM, spacetastic <mattdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Downloaded cubiebox_tvbox_re1.img from:
> http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/android/cubiebox_tvbox_rel1.img
> Downloaded Livesuite 1.07 from: http://www.mediafire.com/?idmeiyvr8xbt6rd
> (It was kind of a pain to find a copy of livesuite 1.07, at least for me)

Is it kosher to have that version (1.07) added to
http://cubieboard.org/download/ ?

@spacetastic: Was there an issue with LiveSuit 1.02 from
http://cubieboard.org/download/ ?

Simos

George Ioakimedes

Jan 17, 2013, 5:12:46 PM1/17/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I just ran through this process and can confirm that it does appear to work when run on a Win7 x64 system. I'm assumming the key point is using LiveSuit version 1.07 and NOT the 1.02 version in the Cubieboard download section.

I also can confirm that the image does boot to HDMI and I was nervous at first because it seemed stuck on the Android Splash screen but after maybe 2 minutes it finished booting. It looks like it's my stock image though because I had downloaded an app and that appears on the home page??

George Ioakimedes

Jan 17, 2013, 5:53:27 PM1/17/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
OK everyone BE CAREFUL. Earlier I had created an image with BuildRoot and decided to try to flash the NAND with that image using LiveSuit and it looks like I've bricked my CubieBoard (hopefully temporarily!).

I'm trying to go back and use LiveSuit to flash the tvbox image linked in this post and I get through the procedure through #12, when I select NO on step 13 LiveSuit closes.

I've rebooted my machine and tried this several times now.

George Ioakimedes

Jan 17, 2013, 6:25:52 PM1/17/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On the Win7 x64 machine I found that LiveSuit was running but hiding in the task bar. I just ran version 1.02 on a WinXP x32 laptop and LiveSuit reports that the Update Failed : 0x163 and then some ascii junk which I assume is suppose to be Chinese

I'm thinking I need to create SD Card and see if my board will boot off of that and then try to sue some other tools to repair the NAND???

Simos Xenitellis

Jan 17, 2013, 8:24:54 PM1/17/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, if you have a microSD card inserted with the
appropriate software, then the Cubieboard will boot from that,
bypassing the NAND memory.

Simos

George Ioakimedes

Jan 17, 2013, 8:41:11 PM1/17/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
That's what I'm expecting but that won't fix my NAND. Looking at a couple of options to get back up and running. Any suggestions?

George Ioakimedes

Jan 17, 2013, 8:58:20 PM1/17/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
OK, for kicks I downloaded the TV Box release2 imagehttp://dl.cubieboard.org/software/android/cubiebox_tvbox_rel2.img and used LiveSuit 1.07 on my Win7 x64 machine and LiveSuit flashed the NAND successfully (got a blank pop up window at the end). I just booted that image and it definitely is different than before.

Now back to our regularly scheduled activities!

Martin Wild

Jan 18, 2013, 7:39:14 AM1/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I know i am repeating myself, but why does everyone try to get livesuit to work, when phoenixcard works with much less effort!? Just write your image on an 5$ 4gb card ( which everyone toying with an cubie should own) insert,Boot,wait till Green LED stops flashing and youre done.no drivers or specific x86/x64 system needed(only Windows). And btw, there is no way to brick your cubie(permanently) with bad nand flashing,for the First Boot-Action your cubie does (looking for possible boot devices in specific order) can Not be overwritten. Cubieboard ALWAYS looks First if there is a sdcard
to Boot from.

Regards, martin

Simos Xenitellis

Jan 18, 2013, 9:35:20 AM1/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Martin Wild <lilc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know i am repeating myself, but why does everyone try to get livesuit to work, when phoenixcard works with much less effort!? Just write your image on an 5$ 4gb card ( which everyone toying with an cubie should own) insert,Boot,wait till Green LED stops flashing and youre done.no drivers or specific x86/x64 system needed(only Windows). And btw, there is no way to brick your cubie(permanently) with bad nand flashing,for the First Boot-Action your cubie does (looking for possible boot devices in specific order) can Not be overwritten. Cubieboard ALWAYS looks First if there is a sdcard
> to Boot from.

I have seen references to the Phoenixcard, such as at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/cubieboard/uheVTiCXrZU
with a link to an executable.

The Wiki page at http://linux-sunxi.org/PhoenixCard needs more work.

Can you add some text to the Wiki page? I do not have my Cubieboard
yet, so I cannot try the instructions.

Simos

George Ioakimedes

Jan 18, 2013, 10:13:02 AM1/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
The reason why I haven't tried Phoenixcard is because it has only really been mentioned here in the forums and it "appears" that the "official" way is to use LiveSuit.

I was under the impression that LiveSuit used some special image format so it wasn't clear (for me) how to create an image for Phoenixcard.

Martin Wild

Jan 18, 2013, 11:09:54 AM1/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
both programs use the same images, they just work in different ways.
Tom gave me a link to phoenixcard : http://tom.linux-sunxi.org/mom/PhoenixCardV306_2012_03_02.zip
if you want to give it a try beware ! the created card seems to be totally empty when looking inside, but boots when inserted and starts instantly writing to nand without asking.

regards, Martin

George Ioakimedes

Jan 18, 2013, 11:28:22 AM1/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
OK, so slightly more involved way of flashing the NAND since you must first use PhoenixCard to write the image to a SD Card and then boot your Cubie with this card inserted but it seems PhoenixCard might be a bit more stable which is always a good thing when you're developing!

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Martin Wild <lilc...@gmail.com> wrote:
phoenixcard

Art Travis

Jan 19, 2013, 7:11:36 PM1/19/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the many helpful posts to the group you make. I am one of
the users that is having trouble using Phoenixcard. I am running a Win
7 64 bit unit. My problem is the phoenix software does not recognize
the usb port where I have inserted my microsd 8gb. I get an error
telling me I have 6 disks and I must choose one. I choose the drive
letter corresponding to my sd card and there is never an opportunity to
"burn" image to the card. Does it take a long while for the program to
'see" the sd card?

I am planning to install Ubuntu to a 8gb usb thumb drive and see if I
get any better results from within linux.

Cheers,

Art

Abovedmc

Jan 19, 2013, 8:39:46 PM1/19/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Right after I posted this I used virtualbox running win xp and was able to write an image to sd card and booted it up and the flash worked.  It took a long time but finally I have modified the NAND system.  Thanks for all your help.

Art

Terence Chiu

Feb 1, 2013, 5:03:18 AM2/1/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Art,

I write the image into the SD card,
But, when the EVB startup, nothing happened,
Can you teach me, how it go into upgrade mode when EVB startup?
Thank you.

Terence

Abovedmc於 2013年1月20日星期日UTC+8上午9時39分46秒寫道:

Dan Riedler

ma...@limbenjamin.com

Feb 3, 2013, 7:27:18 AM2/3/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So far after reading through the thread, everyone appears to be flashing the standard android tv image. Has anyone succeeded in flashing a self compiled linux image to the NAND?

I have an IMG of arch linux that runs fine on SD card. However, when I try to flash it via livesuit. I get a blank error message, probably written in chinese thats why no characters appear. When I try flashing using phoenix, i get an error message about missing script and to update my image.

Thanks in advance

László Csepregi

Feb 3, 2013, 11:26:08 AM2/3/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can also confirm that detailed steps given by  is working just fine with cubieboard_tvbox_rel2.img on windows XP. Unfortunately i was unable to get LiveSuit work correctly on windows8 x64...

Thank you for the support :)
Regars from Hungary,
László

Patrick Wood

Feb 3, 2013, 4:49:54 PM2/3/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
There are several posts here and at cubieforums.com that detail how to program linux to nand.  I also posted links in the FAQ.

Marcos Martinez Garcia

Feb 9, 2013, 1:52:22 PM2/9/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi from Spain mates.

I've just received my cubieboard from miniand yesterday. It seems that not image is preloadaded into de nand flash. I plug the board to a TV whith a HDMI cable and after 5 minutes not signal. After a few research I've found this group. because I'm using w7 64 bits.

After following the procedure to flash any of the prebuilt images with LiveSuitPack 1.07 It seems to work flash but after it finish and the ! dialog appears, hit ok, but the board does not reboot. It keeps the red light on and nothing else. I've unpluged and pluged it back but the same happens only the red light, not like before the red and the green one up.

How can I set the board to standard operation mode? There is any full description of the buttons, leds, ...  and operation modes overthere?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my awful english.

Simos Xenitellis

Feb 9, 2013, 2:12:33 PM2/9/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcos,
Have a look at http://linux-sunxi.org/Cubieboard/FirstSteps for the first steps.
Check the part about powering the Cubieboard, in case you do not
provide enough power.

Simos

Marcos Martinez Garcia

Feb 9, 2013, 2:14:35 PM2/9/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I think I've enoug power using an new ipad 2.5 amps and 12W power supply. I'will check it anyway.

Giorgio Scotti

Feb 23, 2013, 12:24:40 PM2/23/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm trying too to install android to cubieboard but it's an impossible task!:( I've tried every method suggested but my pc(win 7 64 bit) never sees the cubie!I've plugged into usb port and tried to turn it off but the green led never turns off.
I've tried to flash the android image directly on the sd card using Phoenix card but it didn't work(It gave me Burn error).
Anyone can help me?
Thanks!

George Ioakimedes

Feb 24, 2013, 9:28:01 AM2/24/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
With Win7 x64 you need to run the 1.07 (not the 1.02 version on the download page). There's a link to download that version buried somewhere in the mailing list so search and you should be able to find it

Message has been deleted

tvsa...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2013, 4:57:24 AM4/3/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I have the same issue. Cannot flash NAND by livesuit. Drivers installs OK, the error window "No device that need to update" in Win32/Livesuit_1.02, and the similar window (with no text) in Win64/Livesuit_1.02.
I putted in FEL mode before applying power like this: http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,61.0.html
The cable is need the most common USB<->Mini-USB or any special?

Also USB-OTG port may be corrupted? How to check it?

I have successfully flashed by PhoenixCard. But it is not convenient and not fast way.

Nikolaos Pap

Apr 16, 2013, 6:50:53 AM4/16/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
hi from Greece can you provide  a small guide how to use the PhoenixCard cause as far i gen no led write blink when i use the PhoenixCard SD formated with write mode "Product" and image file the cubiebox_tvbox_rel2.2.img and then i use the sd to cubieboard bun i have no led write blink
what i have to do to put this image and why i can get the Livesutite to work with 32 bit win7 thanks in advance nikos

Gabor Molnar

Apr 16, 2013, 7:01:59 AM4/16/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
As Matrin has wrote earlier:

Hi, i dont have any experience with livesuit but with phoenixcard!

download this file on an Windows PC, extract it and make it write your nand image to an Sd-card.
then insert your "Phoenixcard" into your (poweless) cubie , power up ,and wait till the green LED stops flashing. this indicates that the flash process finished.
then unplug power, remove your card and restart Cubie.
i flashed the Cubie-tv image that way and it worked just fine without any extra cables buttons to press or drivers to install.

Regards, Martin

2013/4/16 Nikolaos Pap <nik...@gmail.com>

João Vilaça

Apr 16, 2013, 7:27:51 AM4/16/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Will Phoenix Card work on Win7 64 bit ?

Its a bit annoying having keep an old XP 32 bit for LiveSuit.

Gabor Molnar

Apr 16, 2013, 9:01:37 AM4/16/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I think Phoenix Card is an image writer application.
I have used it on Win7 32bit. It's worked.
Maybe is usable on 64bit too.

João Vilaça

Apr 16, 2013, 9:30:32 AM4/16/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Oops. I thought it could be used to upload an image to NAND.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gabor Molnar

Apr 16, 2013, 9:36:31 AM4/16/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
The Phoenix Card is making a self install SD card.
At first boot the green led will be blinking and shut down.
Before second boot you have to remove the SD card and the Cubie will be boot if everything was OK.

Arthur S.

Apr 18, 2013, 6:19:48 AM4/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nikolas.
I can give only one hint. Your system must have only one removable drive at the same time. Some  SD-card readers mounts multiple drives (f, g,h, etc.) And Phoenix gives error. I hope it helps you.

Pawel Borecki

Apr 18, 2013, 6:25:44 AM4/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Why You just dont use LiveSuit 1.0.7 ? It works like a charm on WinX64, even tools like fex2bin/bin2fex are working on 64bit version of windows. I think its way more simple than using Phoenix.

Uhrheber

Apr 18, 2013, 6:28:33 AM4/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
On 18.04.2013 12:25, Pawel Borecki wrote:
> Why You just dont use LiveSuit 1.0.7 ? It works like a charm on
> WinX64, even tools like fex2bin/bin2fex are working on 64bit version
> of windows. I think its way more simple than using Phoenix. --
Booting Windows to install Linux. Yeah, this really makes sense.

Martin Wild

Apr 18, 2013, 6:29:35 AM4/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I've had the same issue lately when trying to update nand to tvimage 2.2. tvimage 2.2. No blinking of the green led, but some clicking noise to hear from the analog audio output. Also an empty log file on the card after long waiting and powering off my cubie. The image seems somehow not to work with Phoenix card...

Regards, Martin

Pawel Borecki

Apr 18, 2013, 1:36:22 PM4/18/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com, uhrh...@gtfe.de
User complained that he have to hold an old Windows XP 32bit cause the LiveSuit dont work on his Win7 x64 version and You tell me that he should use unix distro to perform the job ? huh ? Does that make any more sense ?

Sanyigz

Jul 4, 2013, 6:01:50 PM7/4/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
I've tried to upload an image to my cubieboard2, i've installed phoenix suit, plugged my usb-> microusb to my pc, then booom i see cubieboard have miniusb and not micro... logically as now in the age of smartphones everyone have a microusb cable, so cubieboard is equipped with miniusb, that is very rarely used...

So... is the a way to install nand images from SD cart or something?

David Kintana

Oct 6, 2013, 4:58:40 AM10/6/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

I've tried with Livesuite 1.02, Livesuite 1.07, phoenixsuite 1.06, windows 7 32, 64, XP, Linux... But I cannot write the image!!!!!

In all situations Livesuite or phoenixsuite detects the card and starts flashing, but the progress bar remains stuck and nothing is flashed.

I also tried phoenixcard with a microSD, all the process of writing the SD goes fine, but when inserted into de Cubieboard, nothing happens... The green led does not blink and the NAND doesn't get writen.

It's like internally the cubieboard doesn't allow to get flashed in any way, althought all the steps an processes was taken correctly.

Can anyone help me?????? I'm desperated...

Thanks!

George Ioakimedes

Oct 6, 2013, 9:52:30 AM10/6/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
To write an image to the SD Card you don't use PhoenixSuit, you need to use Win32DiskImager or dd in Linux. Sometimes getting PhoenixSuit to work the first time can be a little tricky since different drivers have to be loaded but since you say that the process starts that might not be the case.

One thought, are you sure you're using an image for the NAND with PhoenixSuit? There are different iages for NAND and uSD.

David Kintana

Oct 6, 2013, 12:01:01 PM10/6/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

Hi George:

I use NAND images from cubieboard.org/download. The one with XBMC support.

And these images can be flashed using Livesuite in Windows, Phoenixsuite in Linux or with an utility called phoenixcard, that hramrach talks about in this thread in the fist response, that makes posible to flash the NAND using the NAND image and a SD card. The method you points, using an image writer like Win32DiskImager or dd or some other tools like those, is a different method than the one needed with NAND images.

It's possible that the NAND of my Cubieboard was write protected in some way?????? I have tested al the possibilities, and I'm not a beginner in this world. I have more than 20 years in this world of computers, electronics and Internet like a proffessional.

I think that there should be a trick... but where?????

George Ioakimedes

Oct 6, 2013, 12:07:55 PM10/6/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi David:

OK, I only saw your last post and hadn't read the full trail of emails. Have you tried to boot from a SD card and then access the NAND to see if you can read and write to it? PhoenixSuite has an option to perform a full NAND erase, I assume you've tried that too?

David Kintana

Oct 6, 2013, 3:29:35 PM10/6/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi George:

I didn't know that there is an option in PhoenixSuite (Linux version of LiveSuite) for erasing NAND. In the frontend there is no button nor menu option for doing that. Perhaps a command line switch?
However, I'm not sure if this is a good idea, because if I erase NAND but after that I'm unable to write it again, I will be bound for ever to use an SD image for starting it up.

Another option that you say is to start up Cubi with a linux image on an SD, and, after that, try to access the NAND for flasing, but... How can I access the NAND for flashing in this way? Which are the tools needed? Which are the distros that I have to try with?

Thank you very much, George!

George Ioakimedes

Oct 6, 2013, 5:14:05 PM10/6/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

When using PhoenixSuit right before you flash the image it puts up a window that asks something about formating. The default answer is yes but it displays that the recommended answer should be no. I'm not at a computer so I can't check the actual wording. If I remember correctly the "unrecommended" is the option that will do a full erase or more rigorous erase.  I think is similar to a full format or quick format.  I've used both and haven't had a problem.

There are images that have NAND support compiled in. Booting a vard wirh one of those allows you to mount the NAND partitions like any other drive.  /dev/nanda is the boot drive of the nand and where script.bin is located

Patrick Wood

Oct 7, 2013, 12:36:57 AM10/7/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, October 6, 2013 5:14:05 PM UTC-4, George Ioakimedes wrote:

When using PhoenixSuit right before you flash the image it puts up a window that asks something about formating. The default answer is yes but it displays that the recommended answer should be no. I'm not at a computer so I can't check the actual wording. If I remember correctly the "unrecommended" is the option that will do a full erase or more rigorous erase.  I think is similar to a full format or quick format.  I've used both and haven't had a problem.

The formatting process runs a check on the nand blocks, maps out any bad ones, and allocates additional unmapped blocks for run-time mapping.  This is done at a very low level, underneath what we can access via the linux nand block driver.

I had an mk802 that started giving me problems booting android (lots of bad block messages on the console when I tried to fsck the nand from linux, too).  A formatting via livesuit "refreshed" the nand, allowing me to reinstall and boot android again.  The total size of /dev/nand was reduced a few dozen MB by the formatting (new free blocks for bad block mapping).

David Kintana

Dec 15, 2013, 7:55:58 AM12/15/13
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
Hi George!

I've found that several images cannot be installed with Livesuite because they lack the header that Livesuite needs for succesfull flashing. One example is the image file cubiebox_tvbox_rel2.3.img This image lacks the referred header, so Livesuite does nothing when it starts flashing.

Other images like cb_a20_android42_v1.01_ddr480_8188eu.img does have this header, and then it gets flashed correctly.

This is why I went mad triying to flash a file that is not intended for Livesuite althought in cubieboard.org anounces that cubiebox_tvbox_rel2.3.img can be flashed with Livesuite: FALSE!

The images that can be flashed with Livesuite start with "IMAGEWTY" in the eight first bytes.

Now the question is: What flashing software is needed for flashing those others image files? Perhaps those images are compressed in any way and then need to be uncompressed? Perhaps another pre-procesing before triying to use Livesuite?

Hope this helps!