CS Unplugged source version

Tim Bell

Dec 19, 2012, 8:16:47 PM12/19/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Dear Unplugged community,

We have just put together an updated version of the CS Unplugged books, and
for the first time we are making public the source version (currently as a
Microsoft Word document), along with a license that allows you to modify it
either for your own use in teaching, or to create improved versions (which
we encourage you to share).

Initially I¹m releasing the files here:
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/tim.bell/csunplugged-open/

Soon we'll put them on the csunplugged.org site, and also update all the
activity PDFs based on these files, but this is an early chance for people
to get hold of the files. If you make any improvements (especially improved
formatting or conversion to a different format), please share it with us so
that when we put it on the main Unplugged site we can share the best
versions possible.

This new version has all 20 "original" activities in the format of the newer
"teachers edition", and we've fixed up a few things that have dated in the
20 years that Unplugged has been going (e.g. floppy disks don't mean much to
students in 2012). Surprising little needed to be changed.

We are now working on a somewhat different kind of book - an online
interactive guide to Computer Science for high school students. This is to
support many initiatives happening around the world to get more CS into high
school courses. We hope to release an early version of this in February
2013.

Best wishes for the season - for us it's summer holidays and Christmas
celebrations now in New Zealand.

regards,
Tim Bell

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.

Pyo.Park

Dec 19, 2012, 8:27:40 PM12/19/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Wow, It's sounds great!

--
Best regards,
Pyo Park (박준표)

Sally-Ann Williams

Dec 19, 2012, 10:45:41 PM12/19/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work!!!
--
Sally-Ann Williams
Google

CONFIDENTIALITY. This communication is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message, including all attachments, and please also notify the sender immediately.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Michele Fini

Dec 20, 2012, 3:17:55 AM12/20/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim, your work is always appreciated. I am currently working with a
11-12 years student class (12 people) and the lessons are always great, as
the kids pay attention, work hard, and of course, have fun.
It is now 5th year of CSunplugged, great success, thanks....
Michele

george boukeas

Dec 20, 2012, 3:22:41 AM12/20/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thank you (once again). CS Unplugged is evidently turning into one of
the most influential pieces of work for computer science in primary
and secondary education.

Jenny Williams

Dec 24, 2012, 12:46:42 PM12/24/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thank you again for making this available to us all! It is a wonderful
addition to my homeschooling materials. Have a wonderful holiday/summer
season!

jenny

nada....@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2012, 1:10:09 PM12/24/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com, cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
This is really valuable material!

Thanks a lot for the efforts.
Nada
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 24, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jenny Williams <je...@holodeck.com> wrote:

> Thank you again for making this available to us all! It is a wonderful addition to my homeschooling materials. Have a wonderful holiday/summer season!
>
> jenny
>
> On 12/19/2012 6:16 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
>> Dear Unplugged community,
>>
>> We have just put together an updated version of the CS Unplugged books, and
>> for the first time we are making public the source version (currently as rosoft Word document), along with a license that allows you to modify it
>> either for your own use in teaching, or to create improved versions (which
>> we encourage you to share).
>>
>> Initially I雋 releasing the files here:

Ирина Карина

Dec 24, 2012, 1:10:32 PM12/24/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
I ask to send a version for editing images in Russian. Then I can add my translation and send it to you with great pleasure.
Irina Derevyanko

Tim Bell

Dec 25, 2012, 5:14:42 PM12/25/12
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that... unfortunately the images are currently only as they appear in the book i.e. bitmap scanned images. Some translators have blanked out the English text and put their own language over the top, but we don’t have anything better than that.

You can save the images from MS Word by right-clicking on the image (sometimes it’s good to make the image larger first to get higher resolution). Or you may be able to drag the image into your own editing software.

One translator has offered to send me SVG versions of the images, which will still have the English text on them, but won’t have problems with resolution. When they become available I’ll announce that on the news group, so you might want to wait until then.

regards,
tim

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.

Ирина Карина