Wiki account creation is diasbled

Jeffrey Walton

Jan 23, 2019, 7:45:53 PM1/23/19
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

At the 1.31 upgrade I disables ConfirmEdit extension because of problems it was causing. Disabling ConfirmEdit was a bad idea because it let the spam through.

I revisited the ConfirmEdit problem but have not been able to get the extension to work with Mediawiki 1.31.1. It either causes empty pages with no errors or causes a stack trace with "QuestyCaptcha" missing (though it is part of ConfirmEdit and present).

There's another extension called ConfirmAccount that is supposed to allow Admins/Bureaucrats to create accounts. Unfortunately it does not work either. It also produces empty pages with no errors.

For the time being we are going to disable automatic account creation. I can add someone manually to the database, if needed.

Hopefully the wiki problems will be fixed in the next Long Term release of Mediawiki. That should happen in 2020 or 2021. Also see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle.

Jeff