Website or Wiki may have problems

Jeffrey Walton

Sep 1, 2018, 5:32:44 AM9/1/18
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed the wiki is going down sporadically. I've seen it happen twice in the last week or so. Today I noticed it happened again between 12:00 AM EST and 5:00 AM EST.

Visiting the wiki results in "The site is experiencing technical difficulties". It also says something about not being able to connect to the database.

The CentOS server is fully patched. I did not add any software. I don't know what changed.

I have not been able to find a log entry that indicates the point of first failure. The Linux LAMP stack is pretty much duct-taped together. MySQL is especially sucky. I was not able to migrate MySQL to Red Hat's SCL earlier in the summer.

That the crash happened between 12:00 AM EST and 5:00 AM may indicate it has something to do with the backup job. It looks like duplicity-0.7.10 and the cron job has not changed.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be delighted to hear them.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Sep 7, 2018, 11:19:56 AM9/7/18
to Crypto++ Users

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 5:32:44 AM UTC-4, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed the wiki is going down sporadically. I've seen it happen twice in the last week or so. Today I noticed it happened again between 12:00 AM EST and 5:00 AM EST.

I think we got things under control. We were getting a lot of requests from bots and spiders an other crawlers. Apache demands increased which, in turn, caused low memory conditions on the VM. The OOM killer then killed the MySQL process which knocked the wiki offline.

We reduced Apache resource in the prefork.c config file and tuned some PHP caches. It looks like it is holding for the moment.

Jeff