Android setenv script

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 4, 2015, 1:22:05 PM12/4/15
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

The next release of Crypto++ will likely include the environment scripts and other errata broguht up by JH at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cryptopp-users/u1Jf5qM6Ps8/boia8ja-BwAJ.

I think the setenv scripts are a little more complicated than they need to be. For the user who can tolerate defaults and is well configured, I think the following will best serve them:

    $ . ./setenv-android armv7
    $ . ./setenv-android armv7a
    $ . ./setenv-android mipsel
    $ . ./setenv-android mipsel64
    $ . ./setenv-android x86
    $ . ./setenv-android x86_64

The change above is they call-out what they want on the command line, and don't have to edit the script by hand.

The "well configured" part means they have, for example, set ANDROID_NDK_ROOT and ANDROID_SDK_ROOT per David Turner's post at http://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-ndk/qZjhOaynHXc/2ux2ZZdxy2MJ.

If the defaults don't suite them, then a user will have to modify things. That includes EABI and STL flavor and library types. But we should be able to provide some sane defaults for them. The sane defaults will change over time, much like the Visual Studio project files.

We have a couple of decisions to make.... I think we should:

  (1) use a script that honors the platform (armv7, armv7a, etc)
  (2) make setting ANDROID_NDK_ROOT a requirement
  (3) use the 4.9-toolchain by default
  (4) use STLport as the STL library to avoid GNU licensing restrictions
  (5) use STLport in a shared object configuration

And:

  (6) pick-up Gabriel's pull request for Android.mk
       - https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/pull/3
       - for those using ndk-build, Eclipse, etc

Does anyone have any thoughts or objections?

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 4, 2015, 1:29:49 PM12/4/15
to Crypto++ Users

  (6) pick-up Gabriel's pull request for Android.mk
       - https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/pull/3
       - for those using ndk-build, Eclipse, etc

My bad... That's Alex, not Gabriel. Sorry about that guys.

Jeff

jh...@emocha.com

Dec 7, 2015, 4:03:25 PM12/7/15
to Crypto++ Users