Lessons from the first year of operating our coworking space

Matt D.

Jul 9, 2015, 7:34:02 AM7/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone.

I own a space in Nashville, Tennessee, here in the US, and we've just hit our one-year anniversary. We decided to write a blog post with lessons we've learned along the way, and we included a lot of data about membership numbers, revenue, expenses, etc...

There's also a link at the bottom of the post to download a 12-page PDF that we created with much of the same info and data, in case that's an easier read. It also contains a spreadsheet view of our revenue and expenses that might be helpful for those planning a new space.

Hope y'all find it helpful. Would love to hear your thoughts, and we're happy to answer questions via the blog comments, and/or here, or wherever...

Thanks!

Matt
The Skillery
theskillery.com | @theskillery

Jeannine

Jul 9, 2015, 8:15:15 AM7/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Matt!

I love this.  Can we put it on the Global Coworking Blog?  Maybe we should break it up into a couple blog posts?

Also, I am working on a starter kit for new spaces, and I have some ideas about integrating this into it, if you wouldn't mind.  :-)

Cheers,

Jeannine

Ramon Suarez

Jul 9, 2015, 8:40:41 AM7/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Excellent post Matt :) Shared all over the place

Alex Hillman

Jul 9, 2015, 8:58:16 AM7/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Matt, this post is epic. Thank you so much for sharing, this will help a lot of people!!

-Alex
---

------------------
The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Gretchen Bilbro

Jul 9, 2015, 1:30:54 PM7/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt!
Excellent post! Thanks for sharing.

Gretchen
Cultivate Coworking

Paige Calvert

Jul 9, 2015, 4:51:19 PM7/9/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thank you for sharing!

I am curious about your "License Fee" revenue. What is that?

Jamie Russo

Jul 10, 2015, 11:52:46 AM7/10/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Matt, thanks for sharing! I second the question on the licensing fee...

Melissa T. Goldman

Jul 10, 2015, 11:53:03 AM7/10/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Matt, for taking the time to compile all of this and share it in the spirit of open source community.

Really fantastic work and so immensely helpful to those of us in the planning phase.

Melissa

__

Melissa Tapper Goldman

Matt D.

Jul 13, 2015, 9:50:19 PM7/13/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.

Sorry for the delay — I've been traveling. I'm going to try to respond to some of your posts, below:

Melissa, Jamie, Gretchen, Alex and Ramon - you're welcome! We're happy to share.

Jeannine - you're more than welcome to link to the post and share it however you like, absolutely! We're happy to chat about developing it further, if you like. Hit us up via email (theskillery.com/contact).

Some of you asked a question about the "license fee" that's part of our revenue. Great question. This is comprised of one, two or all three of the following things:
  1. A coffee shop just opened in our building. Before they opened, I invited them to operate a pop-up coffee shop our of our kitchenette. This gave them nine months of operational experience before they moved into their own space. My deal with them was that they pay us a monthly stipend to cover utilities (which shows up in the license fee) and they had to give our members free coffee. They  moved out a few months ago, leaving us without their licensing fee, and, more importantly, without their coffee. =)
  2. I invited a local writers collective to call The Skillery home. They hold their classes in our space, and their two directors are full-time members. We also list their writing classes on the /classes page of our website. This is a slightly unique arrangement from a typical membership, so we consider them "licensees" and they pay us a monthly fee to call The Skillery their home.
  3. We invited a local company to occupy the 1,700 square foot section in the rear of our space. They use it for client work 5-10 days per month. When not in use, the space is still available to our members. We consider this company a "roommate". This is a good situation for us for a few reasons:
    1. First and foremost, we like these people. We have known them for a long time, and are glad to see them in our space on a daily basis.
    2. We like the work they do. They teach design thinking, prototyping, empathy, storytelling, and other skills that we feel are a good fit for our members and our community.
    3. They furnished the space that they license from us, which saved us capital expenses in the early days. That meant that we didn't have to pay to furnish almost 1/3 of our space.
    4. Their space is stocked with whiteboards, flexible furniture, and tons of post-it notes. Our members love the resources back there.
    5. Their license fee pays half of our rent.
These arrangements are unique. They are more than memberships. They are possible for us because our space is big enough to accommodate them, but, more importantly, because the people involved understand that they are part of a shared space. A community. They are good roommates, tenants, licensees, members and friends. These relationships work. Nonetheless, the agreements are month-to-month, and we're constantly reevaluating whether they're a good fit.

Happy to answer other questions!

-Matt
Message has been deleted

Jennifer Kready

Jul 14, 2015, 4:53:17 PM7/14/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Fabulous resources and it was shared on the GCUC page, too.

I'm intrigued by your license fee for the extra space that you can utilize, as well.  Makes me think that a larger space may not be a bad thing.  Will present to our cowork community, too.

Anca Mosoiu

Jul 14, 2015, 7:18:10 PM7/14/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
This is so helpful and timely!  Thanks so much for sharing, Matt.

Anca.

---

-=-=-=-
Anca Mosoiu | Tech Liminal

Matt D.

Jul 15, 2015, 10:01:30 PM7/15/15
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome, Jennifer and Anca.
Happy to share.

Yvonne English

Jul 28, 2015, 4:12:27 PM7/28/15
to Coworking, ma...@theskillery.com
This is amazing. I absolutely love that folks in this industry is so collaborative and supportive of one another. #SoNotLiketheCorporateWorld   :-)

Matt D.

Jul 28, 2015, 4:31:03 PM7/28/15
to Coworking, yjen...@gmail.com
You're welcome, Yvonne! We're happy to share.
-MD

Yvonne J. English

Jul 29, 2015, 3:41:14 PM7/29/15
to Matt D., Coworking
Wow. I just saw my grammatical error. So sorry for that...my enthusiasm muscle appears to be larger than my grammatical one. Thanks again!

Yvonne J. English | YvonneEnglish.com

Executive Director, eCenter@LindenPointe | www.eCenterLindenPointe.com
Executive Director, Grove City College Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation www.GCCEntrepreneurship.com
Co-Founder, BuzzBurrito | www.BuzzBurrito.com
Founder, Social Animal Media www.SocialAnimalMedia.com

sh...@colab-factory.com

Nov 28, 2015, 6:46:29 PM11/28/15
to Coworking
Wow Matt !

Awesome information, really great read, very helpful.

Building out our space now, so reading this now was a revelation!

Shane

Benjamin

Nov 30, 2015, 10:18:56 AM11/30/15
to Coworking
That sound is me applauding you...a meaningful and generous share...

--Benjamin

Matt D.

Nov 30, 2015, 5:41:21 PM11/30/15
to Coworking
You're welcome, Shane and Benjamin. Glad it was helpful!

-Matt