mysql cluster

twb

Sep 20, 2012, 12:55:14 PM9/20/12
to couc...@googlegroups.com
I think mysql cluster now supports persistency for memcache as well as plugin, how can couchbase differentiate itself?

Matt Ingenthron

Sep 20, 2012, 1:23:03 PM9/20/12
to couc...@googlegroups.com
On 9/20/12 9:55 AM, "twb" <brea...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think mysql cluster now supports persistency for memcache as well as
>plugin, how can couchbase differentiate itself?

In a number of ways... just to name a few:
- How do you redistribute the data when you need to scale up or down?
- How does the application side handle changes in database deployment
topology? With Couchbase, this is dynamic and automatic using a simple
REST bootstrap.
- Does the managed cache in MySQL take the same approach as in Couchbase--
this was specifically designed and built for the kinds of apps Couchbase
is suitable for.
- How do you get insights into how the cluster is operating and manage it?
Couchbase has built a lot of the UI/management utilities in-- and they're
really needed to make managing a cluster like this sane.

I could go on, but I'll leave you with the thought that it's actually
pretty easy to implement memcached protocol. A number of things have over
the years. It's quite another matter to make the system behind the
protocol have the right behavior to run a big, scalable app off of.

Hope that helps,

Matt

twb

Sep 21, 2012, 1:58:48 PM9/21/12
to couc...@googlegroups.com
That's what I need. Some expert insights into the differences .

However except mysql cluster only has cli management console, and not too sure about managed cache, once again the rest looks pretty similar.

http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/features.html

twb

Sep 21, 2012, 1:59:22 PM9/21/12
to couc...@googlegroups.com