View editor comments!

Tony Fonager

Oct 1, 2012, 4:40:22 PM10/1/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
I have a few comments to the webbased management console :

1) The timeout, why is it there ? I find myself logging in so many times during the day. Why not make the timeout customizable ? When I work with ie. SQL Server, no one decides to log me out, so I'm a bit confused why this is here ?

2) The "Preview random document" section at the top. How annoying is that!!!! Sometimes when you save your view, a huge doc is previewed, so you have to scroll the page to find the "Show results" button, and the fact that I cannot even think about what the use for that "random document" is, makes it really, really annoying.

I hope you'll consider to change how the editor works.

Any plans to make an alternative manager, which is not web based ?

-
Thanks,
Tony

Frank Weigel

Oct 1, 2012, 5:29:53 PM10/1/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback Tony.

How do others feel about the random document? The reason we have it is that often you have multiple types of docs in your database. It is really handy to just press the button a few times to find the type of doc you want, when looking for field names, etc. Given that keys are oftne generated as uuids trying to remember specific keys, plus that not all keys will be in the slice for the developer view data set, made this seem the best way to quickly check the structure of your JSON docs when writing views.

Tony, would you just like a "enable/disable" on the default random doc being displayed, or would you prefer not to have the document pane up top at all?

Cheers,

Frank

     Simple, Fast, Elastic NoSQL Database

Frank Weigel

Vice President, Products

Phone: +1-408-256-1412

Email: fr...@couchbase.com

Tony Fonager

Oct 1, 2012, 6:05:35 PM10/1/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

Personally I would prefer the pane to be gone, I do soo much scrolling when developing views on my Macbook Pro screen, so its annoying to waste screen space with this feature at the top, - not to forget that its shows random data (and heights), so you scroll up and down, up and down randomly.

But some people may use it, so why not just make it an optional feature controlled in the settings ?

And seriously, a system created to contain millions, billions of docs, and you have made the "Preview random document" to find the docs you are looking for "with a few keypresses" ? Hmmm, I guess the magic did not make it all the way to Denmark, as I have tried clicking the button so many times, without finding what I was looking for, and my testsystem only have 4-5000 docs at the moment ;-)

What I think you should do, was to create a new "Document Explorer" pane, a place where you could do more that just search on a known Id. Here are som ideas :

1) The possibility to pin multiple / specific docs to this pane, so its easy to flip back to this page and refresh the content. Very usefull for developers when doing CRUD.
2) The possibility to pin multiple / specific views to this pane, with specific parameters and then refresh the result.
3) The possibility to click on docs, to view contents everywhere.
4) Maybe even a free text search on document names (could be so cool to search for everything beginning with "User")

I know some of this is not that simple to do, but what I miss from my SQL Server dev, is the cool management features.

I know that Couchbase due to the simple nature of the product, need simple management features, but I still think it could be so much better.

-
Thanks,
Tony

Frank Weigel

Oct 1, 2012, 6:55:01 PM10/1/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
 I like some of those "pinning" ideas.

Keep 'em coming.

Of course 2.0 is around the corner and really in bug fix mode, but these are some neat ideas on how to improve the dev experience.

Cheers,

Frank

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/couchbase-8091/-/ZCihGFORDywJ.

J Chris Anderson

Oct 2, 2012, 2:47:32 AM10/2/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
I hate the timeout / logout too. I think no one likes it. Hopefully we can fix this for 2.0

For the random doc thing, it would fix a lot of the issues if the height of display were fixed or capped at a maximum. At least then the required scroll position is constant.

Typed on glass…

Dmytro Koval'ov

Oct 2, 2012, 3:38:28 AM10/2/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
Actually timed out logout does not add much security -  it works only when you have browser window open. When I  happen to  browse to another URL in the same tab/window and return back to Couchbase even several days later, it does not ask for password and opens immediately.

It looks like it is some kind of javascript client side check.
--
  Dmytro Kovalov
  http://dmytro.github.com

dsallings

Oct 2, 2012, 1:48:35 PM10/2/12

On Monday, October 1, 2012 1:40:22 PM UTC-7, Tony Fonager wrote:

1) The timeout, why is it there ? I find myself logging in so many times during the day. Why not make the timeout customizable ? When I work with ie. SQL Server, no one decides to log me out, so I'm a bit confused why this is here ?

  This is a point of frustration for anyone using the console to do work.  Hopefully it goes away before too long.

2) The "Preview random document" section at the top. How annoying is that!!!! Sometimes when you save your view, a huge doc is previewed, so you have to scroll the page to find the "Show results" button, and the fact that I cannot even think about what the use for that "random document" is, makes it really, really annoying.

  The random document was one of the huge areas of improvement over where this whole editor came from.  For certain document distributions, it saves tremendous amounts of work relative to doing the same thing without the random document view (it has for me).  Similarly, for some document distributions, it doesn't matter how many times you hit random (it has done that for me, too).  I think you had some pretty good ideas below for improving this WRT the actual things you're wanting to work on as well as limiting the size of the random document pane.  We have a few other areas of improvement we've discussed there that may make things even better.

  Do note that you can collapse the random preview if you don't need it.  Since it's browser-based, it would be pretty easy to add a bit of site-specific css or userscript to have that just never show up for you.

Any plans to make an alternative manager, which is not web based ?

  I'm curious as to what aspects of web-based you find undesirable.

Tony Fonager

Oct 3, 2012, 8:41:50 AM10/3/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I dont find webbased management "undesirable", it just prefer a "real app", which can be worked on independant of the Couchbase server.

Right now updates / fixes to the console app, has to be released along the Couchbase engine updates, which I would believe is not that optimal for the console development cycle.

I mean, I dont think you would ship a new update of Couchbase server, to fix ie the "random document" issue discussed above ? ;-)

Or ?

Take care,
Tony

Tony Fonager

Oct 5, 2012, 7:53:30 AM10/5/12
to couchba...@googlegroups.com
Also, I think the "TAB" value in the view editor should be adjusted.

When I highlight some code and use TAB or SHIFT+TAB, it moves the selected text 2 spaces to the right or the left, which is perfect.

But if you just TAB on a line, the text is moved with a "true" TAB value inserted.

So the source easily gets to be a very ugly mix of TABS and SPACES.

Not that important, I have managed to controls the beast ;-)