status of evently

Benoit Chesneau

Oct 12, 2011, 6:05:32 AM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

For those who follow the couchapp tickets, you maybe have noticed that most
of the evently tickets are still open since a long time. While I have
never been a user of evently myself I'm quite sad to say that Evently
isn't maintained these days. The people who were volunteer to continue
its development didn't make any updates on it since.

So, I'm announcing today that next versions of erica or couchapp won't
include Evently in their distributions.

- The next version (and probably final version) of couchapp will be
released on next Tuesday
- The next version of Erica will be avaiable on Friday.

This is not the end for Evently anyway. With the new versions, evently
will be available as an external vendor for Couchapp and template for
Erica. The code will land in coming days on
http://github.com/couchapp/couchapp . Also, if you want to address issues
and take the maintainership on Evently, please contact me, I will be
happy to help you to do that.

Best,

- benoît.

J Chris A

Oct 12, 2011, 8:08:16 AM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Great call Benoit!

I've prepared, for some time now, a basic CouchApp that should replace the evently based one, so that folks can learn CouchApp / jQuery stuff without having to learn Evently.

I hope that the output of `couchapp generate` in future releases will look like this app, instead of the old one:

I'd have pushed this change in myself but I'm not sure how to integrate it with the couchapp tool.

Thanks!
Chris

Peter Nolan

Oct 12, 2011, 9:05:56 AM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Evently was a great idea, unfortunately it had a few issues (particularly compatability with newer versions of jQuery, ie, and others).

If no one else takes up the reigns, i'll gladly maintain the code.  Been looking for a good excuse to get back into couchapping anywayz.

Benoit Chesneau

Oct 12, 2011, 10:19:41 AM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris,

Thans for the example app.I Will add it as an erica template asap. For
couchapp, it's just a matter to replace the current template. Will do
it as well, don't worry. Is there anything I should know about it
anyway?

What's the best to maintainit? Keep it in an external repo?

- benoît

Chris Anderson

Oct 12, 2011, 10:25:32 AM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com, Benoît Chesneau, couc...@googlegroups.com
Yes we should maintain it in its own repo, and pull new snapshots for each release.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Benoit Chesneau

Oct 12, 2011, 12:51:15 PM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter

That would be cool, thanks :) Maybe you can start it by forking the
evently or vendor repo on github couchapp account ? What do you think?

- benoit

Peter Nolan

Oct 12, 2011, 1:30:38 PM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
This will be the first time that I'm undertaking a project like this, so I'm in uncharted territory.

I'll start by forking the code in github and harass this email chain with any kind of 'newb' questions.

-Pete

Chris Anderson

Oct 12, 2011, 4:46:02 PM10/12/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com, couc...@googlegroups.com
The current best version is in the couchapp/evently repo. I've split it into two parts, evently and a couch plugin.

Mostly needs testing

Sent from my iPhone

Peter Nolan

Oct 13, 2011, 11:34:46 AM10/13/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Alrighty, seems like I got a project worth doing.

Won't be able to fully start it till the weekend though.  (moved into a new place, interwebs shall be up today or tomorrow in it).

I'll keep ya guys posted on the progress.

Hopefully most of you are going to the nyc gig at the end of the month.  It'd be nice to discuss the future plans of couchapps (THEY'RE NOT JUST FOR MEANINGLESS THINGS!!!)

-Pete

Please pardon the future questions/harassment Mr. Anderson...

Dominique Sandoz

Oct 16, 2011, 1:08:55 AM10/16/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete,

Couchapp&Evently is far away from being for meaningless! We realize more and more projects using these two pieces of software - the sadder it makes us to hear evently would not be continued (ok, we heard rumors about this long time ago). And the happier it makes us to hear it found someone caring for it!

We would like to support you with anything we can - we got lots of experience with evently (and its bugs).

Greetings
Dominique

PS: latest evently couchapps http://mystic-mosaic.com and http://pictures.125-ipu.com

pulkitsinghal

Nov 2, 2011, 11:10:00 PM11/2/11
to CouchApp
OMG why?
Evently is soooo awesome!
That and I just finished learning it :P

What are some tutorials for doing this work w/o evently?

Should it all be done server side using show and list functions?
That's a bit sad because the 4-5 chapters of the CouchDB draft book
that cover standalone applications are the least-loved and most out of
date chapters in the entire book :(